Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto lights always ON, Auto wipers single speed only

trailertrash

Hi all, I hope someone can help. The auto lights stay on irrespective of daylight; they go off as normal via the switch and ignition.

The auto wipers only work at slow/medium intermittent speed irrespective of selector position.All other wipe and wash functions work fine.

The screen is clean over the sensors and nothing seems to be out of place looking from outside.

Any help much appreciated

2010 Focus Titanium 1.6 petrol (non VVT), Automatic, keyless entry and start

That's exactly how mine was when the autoglass tech broke the windscreen sensor.  It defaults to lights on and intermittent as a fail-safe.

Could try a new gel pad, and make sure the wiring is ok, but tbh I reckon you need a replacement sensor.  Same one is used on quite a few cars.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That's exactly how mine was when the autoglass tech broke the windscreen sensor.  It defaults to lights on and intermittent as a fail-safe.

Could try a new gel pad, and make sure the wiring is ok, but tbh I reckon you need a replacement sensor.  Same one is used on quite a few cars.

Thanks Tom. Is the same sensor shared between auto wipers and lights then? Is an easy fix or dealer job?

3 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Thanks Tom. Is the same sensor shared between auto wipers and lights then? Is an easy fix or dealer job?

Yes it's one part, though technically two sensors inside.  Very easy to change yourself, the plastic cowling under the mirror just slides off and then the sensor is clipped onto the screen, plus an electrical plug to remove.  You should replace the gel pad when replacing the sensor so it gives a perfect seal between the sensor and the glass, if there's an air gap there, it wont work properly.

There are plenty of used ones on eBay, this one shows the clear gel pad on the front to show what I mean.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3S7T17D547AA-Ford-Mondeo-Fiesta-Focus-Transit-Windscreen-Rain-Light-SENSOR-GX1/263439152957?epid=550303131&hash=item3d5632773d:g:bkkAAOSw9KhaCb5z

• Like 2

Many thanks Tom, very helpful!

• Like 1