Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 63 plate new engine

Emsylou

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am looking for any help/advice possible, we have a Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 63 Plate,  when my hubby was driving to work last week it starting making a rattling noise with the oil light flashing up and starting chugging/losing power, we called the RAC who towed it to our local garage now upon inspection the mechanic has said that the oil isn't circulating around the engine, it has always had oil in and we have never had a warning light for oil until now,  - he just said that it could be a case of changing a part but he wouldn't be sure what part and it could turn into an expensive job trying this and that and then could still need a new engine, he has advised to get a new engine or try to get a second hand one, I will admit now that I know absolutely zero about cars so don't know where to start looking, also I have heard about these engines having problems and also about a recall that was issued that we have never received but not sure if this would apply to our car,

i can't advise you what to do. I can tell you that the real problems people have had with these engines is coolant leaks and the engine being damaged by overheating by the loss of coolant before people are aware of the coolant leak.

If oil is not getting around your engine it might be that the engine has already suffered internal damage from it running with no oil pressure even though it was not for long. But you can't really tell unless the oil pressure problem is fixed first and then the car road tested. 

Cars I have had with oil pressure failure:

Granada - caused by the hexagaonal shaft that drove the oil pump rounded off so it no longer gripped in the oil pump

TR7 - oil pressure relief spring broke (if oil pressure high the valve would open to allow some of the oil straight back to sump but with broken spring it was mostly going that way and not around the engine)

Brother's Audi TT - blocked oil filter - he had not changed oil or filter for 50k miles and car had been left standing for a year

I can imagine it's a bit of a nightmare for you

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Emsylou said:

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am looking for any help/advice possible, we have a Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 63 Plate,  when my hubby was driving to work last week it starting making a rattling noise with the oil light flashing up and starting chugging/losing power, we called the RAC who towed it to our local garage now upon inspection the mechanic has said that the oil isn't circulating around the engine, it has always had oil in and we have never had a warning light for oil until now,  - he just said that it could be a case of changing a part but he wouldn't be sure what part and it could turn into an expensive job trying this and that and then could still need a new engine, he has advised to get a new engine or try to get a second hand one, I will admit now that I know absolutely zero about cars so don't know where to start looking, also I have heard about these engines having problems and also about a recall that was issued that we have never received but not sure if this would apply to our car,

i can check recall just need your plate.

1 hour ago, Emsylou said:

Thank you, The Plate is WP63 XOL

there you go :

Outstanding Field service Actions

No Campaign Message(s) found
  • Thanks 1

Has the mechanic physically checked the oil pressure on the engine?  If they haven't then this is what I would do next?  Has the car been serviced with regular oil changes?

• Thanks 1

oil pressure check, then if low, sump needs to come off and check strainer for blockage.

• Thanks 1