Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaking wipers

Doc007

I have a 2016 Mondeo Estate and recently the wipers started squeaking. It has a high pitched rubber/on glass quality to it (rather than the arm pivot) and seemed to be coming from the driver's side blade but not for the entirety if the sweep across the screen.

So I replaced both the drivers side with a Bosch equivalent and it still squeaked. So I replaced the passenger's side. And it still squeak! Prior to replacing them I had tried removing/scrubbing/vinegar.

Any ideas?

It's VERY irritating.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with a rubber squealing noise from the driver’s side of my 2017 Mondeo Vignale. Presumed it was the rubber blade on the glass but when I folded the wiper away from the glass and set the wipers going the noise was still there. Did the same with the passenger side so both were folded away from the windscreen and the squeal was still there. Must be the mechanism then. 

• 1 month later...

I also have the same issue on 2016 estate passenger side but when lifted away It dose not squeak I have also put new bosh blades on but hasn’t solved the issue it is not the mechanism as it dose not allways do it 

I had the rubber blades squeaking today but I presumed it was because it was snowing and cold. The blades appeared not to be flipping as the wiper moved to and fro because the rubber was near solid due to the cold so it was chiseling into the screen on the upward stroke. I squirted some Rain X on the windscreen and the squeaking went away. But it does appear to be a problem with rubbish quality rubber blades in the cold. Will look to change mine soon anyway.

Mine isn’t to do with the cold weather they have been doing it for a while with the previous and new Bosch blades I agree that it looks like the blade is not flipping 

• 1 year later...

Anybody have any fixes for this issue? - I have a 2016 Mondeo and the rubber squeaking is driving me crazy! 

Check the arms where they pivot isn't touching the plastic panel. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, iantt said:

Check the arms where they pivot isn't touching the plastic panel. 

I have this issue on the drivers side. It’s definitely not the rubber on the wiper, if I raise the wiper off the glass and move the arm the squeak still persists. 

If I grab the arm while vertical and push it toward the centre the squeak momentarily goes away. 

It sounds like a common issue, does anyone know how to fix it and stop the squeak? It’s driving me nuts! 

Car is a 2016 Mondeo. Thanks in advance. 

anyone tried good old WD40 on the pivot point where the motor shaft is?

I did smear some grease on the cylinder that is rubbing on the plastic trim but it soon wore away and the squeaking returned. Not tried WD40, but I expect the result will be the same? Happy to be corrected though. 

You need to get some clearance between the plastic panel and the pivot.  Get a Stanley knife and trim a small piece of the panel away. 

• Like 1

Thanks iantt, I was hoping there’d be some eccentric adjustment for the mechanism to move it more central to the bore, obviously not! I’ll break out a fresh blade and give it go… Have you had the same issue?

Yep, mine was passenger side squeaking. Sounded just like wiper blade squeak on glass. Changed blades but realised after what the issue was. If you could be bothered, you probably could move the panel slightly but then risk the opposite side rubbing. 

Moving the panel sounds like a massive faff, removing material sounds like the better option. 

Thanks for the info and replies Skidmark1 and iantt. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club