Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC2 to SYNC3 upgrade

skipzoid

Having spent nearly four months researching and talking to dealers (which give conflicting info) and messaging people in forums etc we've taken the plunge to rip out the terrible SYNC2 and replace it with a SYNC3

I've got a brand new Blackberry version of the APIM, new touch screen, USB interface, new GPS and all the interconnecting cables.

I've spoken to a lot of people about this and most say it should be simple. Download the as built data before we start from the SYNC2 APIM, swap all the hardware over and upload the as build data and all should be well.

two months ago we ordered all the bits and its taken this amount of time to get it all in. This week a new piece of info has been thrown into the mix.

We've been told several times from several people that the SYNC2 APIM needs to have its Windows software installed via fords IDS software whereas the SYNC3 Blackberry APIM comes pre-loaded and ready to go waiting for the as built data to be uploaded.

The new info is that the SYNC3 APIM actually needs its software installed like the SYNC2 APIM does. This has come from someone who works at the local Halfords of all places so I'm naturally skeptical but now it needs checking. I spoke again with our local dealer and they say they've not swapped one but don't think its the case. I've checked again with some of the sources that say its a straight swap and they've not heard of it either.

Now we nervous, have we spent all this money on kit we cannot use with it going into a dealer to make work?

The question is, has anyone actually installed a brand new SYNC3 APIM and had to do anything more than upload the as built data to it?

thanks for reading...

This is an update to my previous post.

The info that I was given (by a ford technician) turned out to be incorrect.

The new APIM came fully working and enabled with every feature it would support if the associated hardware was in the car. Quite intersting to poke about the menus looking at the possible options these things support etc.

Anyhow, having swapped it all over and then uploading the as build data from another (newer) 2017 SMAX made it all work nicely. All we needed to do was to turn on the heated seats we have in our version that the other car whos as built data we used did not.

The SYNC3 is way better than SYNC2 and the Android Auto works really well. The guide says it works over bluetooth, but it doesnt seem to. But if you plug it in via USB it works as well as the phone does. Very Very pleased.

We have V2.2 of the SYNC3 software, there is a V3.0 of the SYNC3 software on a US site but we're nervous it might not be compatible with the UK. Anyone ?

• Like 1

I’d heard 2.3 is out, but not v3.0 in U.K. yet.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have 2015 S-MAX with Sync 2 and very interested in what you have done, desperate for Sync 3 and Android Auto. What parts did you need, where did you source them, how complex was the install? Appreciate any help you can give.

Matt

I made a guide for you guys. 

Will this sort out my d p f problems ?

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 9:42 AM, mattfraney said:

I have 2015 S-MAX with Sync 2 and very interested in what you have done, desperate for Sync 3 and Android Auto. What parts did you need, where did you source them, how complex was the install? Appreciate any help you can give.

HI, Sorry just seen you post, don't come here very often.

All the parts, except for the GPS were sourced from the main dealers. In my experiance the parts desk was quite resistive and was skeptical that this would work at all. Kept reminding me that if any damage happened to the parts they wouldnt take them back. Interestingly now that the car has been back in for a regular service and they've seen it all working the service desk is more enquiring.  They even wanted to know how it now has a reversing camera. Running the video cable through the car was a doddle.

The GPS came from a popular online auction site as it was less than a tenner whereas the ford one was over a hundred. I figured it was worth a punt being so cheap and its been find.

As far as swapping it over, The technical bit is easy. The hard part is getting the facia apart to get access. I even went a stage further and fitted the reversing camera again sourced from the auction site less than twenty quid as aposed to hundreds. The only thing that differes is the authentic one will let you zoom whereas ours is fixed I didnt think it really mattered.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club