Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 electrical fault

Gibson92

I have a 2005 mk2 Focus, last week after taking my key out the ignition the window wipers started to go off with the dash fully lit asif my key was in the ignition. Since then putting the key in and turning it had  no effect not even any starter motor noise, but if I put my foot on the brake it would start up fine. Upon taking the key out of the ignition the engine would continue to run until I put my foot on the break. Does anyone have any suggestions to what this could be? 

4 hours ago, Gibson92 said:

I have a 2005 mk2 Focus, last week after taking my key out the ignition the window wipers started to go off with the dash fully lit asif my key was in the ignition. Since then putting the key in and turning it had  no effect not even any starter motor noise, but if I put my foot on the brake it would start up fine. Upon taking the key out of the ignition the engine would continue to run until I put my foot on the break. Does anyone have any suggestions to what this could be? 

Hi,

A common problem with the focus is the fuseboard in the engine bay tends to leak allowing water in via the lid; this water then bridges the connections of the relays causing such phenomena as the wipers going off, the indicators flashing even the horn sounding at random.

Pressing the brake could be activating an ABS relay which the water is linking to somehing else within the fuseboard causing the issue.

I'e read a few things saying it could be the fuse board, I would have thought it would have dried  out over a week and a half though? I was wondering if it could be an ecu  fault? I was just looking for suggestions before I pay for an auto electrician 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gibson92 said:

I'e read a few things saying it could be the fuse board, I would have thought it would have dried  out over a week and a half though? I was wondering if it could be an ecu  fault? I was just looking for suggestions before I pay for an auto electrician 

I've been to breakers yards after it rained 2-3 weeks before and bits behind the dashboard/ecu were still wet.

For the sake of a few minutes to do a visual inspection it's well worth it.

• Like 1

I opened the fuse boxes and they looked dry to me, but apparently it' underneath that they get wet, I don' know how to check the bottom without pulling things out and I don' want to do that because they never go back the same haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club