Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does your 3.5 run on rails or a jelly

SuttonRider

1. I'm not sure if I need to get the tracking done or is there any adjustment the dealer can do to the power steering etc. As the title says, but I seem to be running on a jelly. the car will go in a straight line for a while then it will start to slowly move either left or right until corrected.

2. At higher speeds if a small deviation again either left or right is initiated on the steering wheel and the steering wheel is then released the steering wheel doesn't return totally to the straight ahead position, but remains slightly offset. I'm continually having to put slight steering corrections in. Its like driving on a jelly. Tire pressure checked at 30psi, car has only done 9000 miles, not been crashed, new front tires 235/40 18.

3. Can the caster be adjusted on a 3.5 Focus?

Thanks for your help.

I have Titanium  16 plate. It runs on rails. It's perfect in fact regarding the steering. I think there is a setting within the driving section that allows some refining of the steering. Have a look through the main screen menu.

Edited by Joss max
more info

You sure it's not just tramlining?

18s will tramline on the focus. 

• Thanks 1

To be honest I'm not totally sure, I don't think so Alex. I have it booked in with Ford on Tuesday so we will see what comes of that. I do know it's horrible to drive, if it is a feature of the car it will be part 'xed ASAP.

On 27/01/2018 at 5:26 PM, SuttonRider said:

1. I'm not sure if I need to get the tracking done or is there any adjustment the dealer can do to the power steering etc. As the title says, but I seem to be running on a jelly. the car will go in a straight line for a while then it will start to slowly move either left or right until corrected.

2. At higher speeds if a small deviation again either left or right is initiated on the steering wheel and the steering wheel is then released the steering wheel doesn't return totally to the straight ahead position, but remains slightly offset. I'm continually having to put slight steering corrections in. Its like driving on a jelly. Tire pressure checked at 30psi, car has only done 9000 miles, not been crashed, new front tires 235/40 18.

3. Can the caster be adjusted on a 3.5 Focus?

Thanks for your help.

The 235/40 18's are more prone to tramlining.

That said, My old 2016 Focus steering always seemed off centre, and in a straight line the steering wheel was off by a few degrees.  Don't have this issue on my new focus, but it does tramline under the right conditions. 

I think you may have misunderstood me Avi. The steering wheel is centered correctly, its only when an input is initiated and then when the wheel is released it doesn't return to straight ahead, but remains a few degrees off. It seems worst for a right input. It's very odd I did an out and back run this morning of a total of 50 miles, going out it was horrible, including being blown about by lorries coming in the opposite direction (I was doing about 60mph, lorries 50 to 55mph). The return trip, same roads it was hard to detect any problem at all. I accept that 235/40 18 will be more prone to tramlining, but I think ths is more than that.

3 hours ago, SuttonRider said:

............. The steering wheel is centered correctly, its only when an input is initiated and then when the wheel is released it doesn't return to straight ahead, but remains a few degrees off. It seems worst for a right input............

The steering wheel is centered correctly and the car is going in a straight line. If you turn right (for example), then release the wheel, it does not return to the central point. Are you saying that it is just the s/wheel not returning to the centre, but the car itself returns to a straight line, or is the car still going slightly to the right, as well?

The steering wheel does not return to the central point and the front wheels have a small amount of turn still on proportional to the off set of the steering wheel. I can then manually bring the steering wheel back to the central point and the car goes in a straight line again until something causes it to move again. Its as if the steering is too stiff. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Sounds like alignment to me. My 3.5 felt a bit vague, so I had 4 wheel alignment done. Better, but still not good, took it back, and when they checked, it was still showing out and they reset it. Still not perfect, so I took it elsewhere, they checked it and was still out. The new place reset it and it is now OK. Obviously, the equipment is only as good as it's operator.

I have a vague recollection, but may be wrong, that electrical steering settings can be adjusted for loading left/right. Perhaps someone on here can confirm this is possible, or not.

Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS). See this link, under Which Vehicle.........., you'll need to enter Year, Vehicle, Which SYNC, to get the video to run:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/convenience-and-comfort/electric-power-assisted-steering-epas.html

Edited by YOG
Additional info added.

Interesting clip, the car is in at Ford's today and I have a list of questions to ask, "Is the pull drift compensation active?" is just one of them. I'll report back later when I get the car back.

The car is back from Ford's. The Pull-drift compensation is active. The tracking is spot on. There are no Ford software updates. There are no codes and after a test drive they couldn't find anything wrong. I did see on one forum that turning the Pull-drift off made the steering better, what do you think? Other than that I may be in the market for a part x.

What make of tyres did you have fitted and has your concern been since then?

• Thanks 1

Had the same problem with the old tyres which were down to about 2.5 to 3mm, they were Mitchlin pilot sport 3's, I have put pilot sport 4's on the front now with 3's on the back with 6mm left on both.

Mine came with Conti SportContact out of the factory. I've stuck with them and had no issues with handling. Handles better than most cars tbh.

I did have a rental 3.5 focus and that had random tyres on it, handled like a boat and generally wasn't very safe.

Following from the dealerships poke around i think its safe to say there is no discernible fault with the vehicle and the OP may just be unsettled with the different handling characteristics of his current car.

wide wheels will tramline to some degree regardless of what tyres are fitted  , thats just life 

though i feel a persons driving style will adapt to a new car pretty quick if they get past the mental hang ups

the car will go in a straight line for a while then it will start to slowly move either left or right until corrected.

every car ive ever owned did this to some extent.

maybe a mk3 focus just isnt suited to your prefered driving style , no shame in that , try something else.

Prior to this 2017 Focus I had a 2013 MK3. That didn't do this at all, it was a pleasure to drive, although it did have 17" 215 wheels as opposed to the 18" 235's on the current car. I have no choice but to stay with this car for the time being, I fancy a Nissan Qashqai dCi Tekna 1.5 but nothing about here at the moment.

• 1 month later...

*** UPDATE ***

I had the Power Steering Pull Drift Compensation turned off yesterday when the car went in for its first service. This has solved the issue with the car wandering, twitchy and just unpleasant to drive. It now goes in a straight line without constant small inputs to the steering. :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, SuttonRider said:

*** UPDATE ***

I had the Power Steering Pull Drift Compensation turned off yesterday when the car went in for its first service. This has solved the issue with the car wandering, twitchy and just unpleasant to drive. It now goes in a straight line without constant small inputs to the steering. :biggrin:

My cars going in on Friday for something else, I'm tempted to ask them to turn it off while they've got it.

Will annoy me somewhat if it fixes the vague off centre steering after 2.5 yrs ownership. :laugh:

Will they charge you Alex? One thing I found before having it turned off was if you're doing about 20mph (on an empty road) and take a quick quarter turn of the steering wheel then let go the steering wheel would not always return to mid-ships, it would just be a fraction off, more so when doing it to the right. I tried it this morning and it is sharp, straight back to centre in both directions. If you do have it done, let me know what you think after.

Definitely feels better with it off. It hasn't suddenly given the car Fiesta handling, but the assist and feel is now consistent.

No longer does it either fight me or feel over servo'd depending on what the PDC was doing, it's just consistent. I can feel what the tyres are doing better now, gives more confidence.

Yes, it does mean that you can't lazily drive down a cambered road, you actually have to hold the steering wheel properly and little ruts wiggle the steering wheel now, but it's nothing I wouldn't expect from driving and controlling a car properly.

Also I no longer seem to weave on straight roads, or have an off centre steering wheel. I was obviously fighting the PDC before.

• Like 1

Glad it worked for you turning the PDC off. I found the same when mine was turned off. I would recommend it to everyone.

I did check if it was possible to turn off through FoCCCus on the Mk3 today but it isn't.  Looks like dealer only for anyone wanting it done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club