Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST-2 K&N Filter error P006A

I'mAnExpertTrustMe

Hello,

Recently an owner of a 2014 Fiesta ST-2, smile everytime I drive, and also found out after purchase that it had a stage 1 remap. 

Driving on the motorway would sometime produce "Engine Malfunction, service now", and about 50% of the time this came on, the turbo also stopped. Turning the engine off and on again would resolve this problem. One day it was raining heavily and this problem would pop up seconds after turning the engine on, so I now assumed it was an issue to do with the weather.

Booked it in to get looked at, and the garage returned "P006A-62" Link to page about code https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p006a-obd-ii-trouble-code-manifold-absolute-pressure-map-mass-or-volume-air-flow-correlation-by-logan-utsman

They mentioned how it is suspected there was too much air flow, and to try the standard air box. They also cleaned off the sensors. 

I haven't had the error come up again, however it hasn't rained heavily either, so in preparation for the inevitable I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this. I've only been able to find 1 thread online that discusses this but leads nowhere other than to revert to standard. http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11252

Are there known issues with K&N Filters?? Can't believe every K&N Filter installed would cause this.  

Kindly appreciate any help, (And hope I got this in the right subforum)

I have a K&N panel filter in mine no issues, although mine has not been remapped.

Is it a cone filter you have? If yes, it could be getting wet (when raining / poor weather) and contaminating the MAF sensor. Personally I am not a fan of cone filters.

Yeah it is a cone filter with no stock parts to hand, am I able to get a box to cover it like the stock version (I believe?)? Or recommend I replace the Cone filter with something more reliable?

You might be able to get a box like that, I've seen things like this but not sure where to get one. Alternatively the mountune box or equivalent (ST200 airbox) with a panel filter is a safer option.

I ran a mountune 215 upgrade with a k&n panel filter with no problem for over two years. If the cone filter is open to the engine it’s probably getting hot air instead of cold so you will need to get it isolated so it gets cold air instead. You’ll get a performance increase as well

https://www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk/

How long have you had the filter fitted for?

is it the full K&N intake kit? The the replacement pipework and heatshield? I've not seen many people use that kit over here, usually kits designed for the US ST, which this one is (or was originally if they've modified it) don't work on euro STs, warning lights and limp mode usually happen, the fault is down to the position of the small tube on the intake hose in relation to the MAF sensor, our cars and kits have the MAF between the filter and the tube, US kits place the MAF after the tube. 

worth checking with the supplier or K&N, have a look where this tube is they may have modified it already for UK cars.

If you go back to an air box then the ST200 box is available as a replacement part from Ford or online dealers. Add a standard or K&N panel filter. 

Apologies for the late reply, been away from home so only just managed to get a look at the engine. 

FFkYAJQ.jpg

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I feel like this type of filter is uncommon, and possibly for a reason....

Looking at a receipt from a Performance Centre doesn't show much apart from a REVO Fiesta ST180 STG 1 for 299.25 (2015), which from my understanding is just the software aspect? 

Thanks for all the replies, seems like the current option is to switch out filters. 

Ok, so it's not a K&N induction kit.

Does that filter foam feel oily? If some may have ended up on the MAF, the garage cleaning it may have sorted it so hpeofully it's that.

sometimes the tube holding the MAF sensor can be the wrong way round, your sensor is the correct way round, try swapping the tube round only.

if the problem happens again, try the standard airbox if you can, 

the filter does look a bit small, may not be an issue but it looks more of a universal fitting rather than made for the ST.

The filter foam is dry, but haven't yet had a chance to turn the tube around. 

I did find this heat shield: https://www.sico-developments.co.uk/products/sico-boost-induction-kit-heat-shield?variant=4033783556

Which looks like it connects to where the stock box should be. As it's only £30, I'm thinking this could be a good fix if it turns out hot air is causing the issue. 

I'm open to other suggestions of heat shields, this is the only one I've been able to find so far without having to buy a whole kit.

Hot air won't be the issue, when moving there will be enough cold air, the turbo heats it up far more.

Update:

Called the Performance Center that did the original remap before I got the car and told them about the issue I was facing, even they said that it seems silly to have a cone filter for a stage 1 remap, and that they definitely don't fit pipercross cone filters. 

From all the help of you guys above (Thank you!) I have bought and installed the ST200 airbox. I will wait a few weeks to ensure the error is gone before upgrading to a K&N panel filter. I currently haven't fit the 2nd hose intake as it dangled far below the car, but tomorrow when there is more sunlight I'll get underneath and find a good spot to secure it. 

Thank you once again for the advice, fingers crossed this has solved it.

Cheers!

I have now squeezed the hose into that area and made sure it's not pointing up, I don't know how much of an issue water getting in it is, but didn't want to risk anything. 

I took the car for a test drive and noticed that I no longer have the dump valve releasing pressure when I stop accelerating, I can only assume this is a good thing as it's putting less pressure on my turbo, will give me better miles(?), and hopefully gets rid of the error, however I am greatly missing that noise after putting some power into the car. 

As a side note, losing this noise doesn't mean the turbo isn't getting enough air? Also would changing to a K&N panel filter bring it back? 

Thanks once again,

With the cone filter you were hearing more of the induction noise, due to the filter being exposed and noise not being contained in a box. A K&N panel filter will help but its a minor difference.

• 1 year later...

I have had the same fault code as you on my Focus Zetec S 182 (same engine) and I am running an open end K&N. It's still in the original air box but there as a removable bung as the end of the air filter forms the side of the air box on a Focus.

I just live with resetting the code a couple of times a year but I have also read on different forums about the actual fault being a loose hard pipe to the turbo. 

If you have a look on this link it says about it halfway down the page.

https://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11252

Edit - Oops, I found the post via Google and misread the date as Feb 19, oh well, nothing like reviving an old thread!😊

No worries. Means that I can update as a year later - No error has been repeated and haven't had my engine go into limp mode since. (And I've done my fair share of abusing that engine with mods) So I can only assume the cheap kitchen-sponge of a filter the previous owner put on, wasn't actually acting as a filter. But thanks for giving more info incase anyone else is suffering. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club