Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2.0 TDci for sale - advice

adamd

Trying to sell my car but I’m 3 weeks have not had one nibble. Started at £2,195 so have dropped it quite a lot. Am I simply over valuing it? Can anyone give me some tips on how to improve my ad, please?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801202945317

I wonder if the bottom has just dropped out of the market for diesels with all the recent bad publicity?  You have a long list of recent maintenance, most of it normal wear and tear so that should give someone comfort that there shouldn't be any big repair bills around the corner.  Out of interest how much did you pay for the clutch and DMF replacement (I have this to look forward to soon)?

31 minutes ago, south_bound said:

I wonder if the bottom has just dropped out of the market for diesels with all the recent bad publicity?  You have a long list of recent maintenance, most of it normal wear and tear so that should give someone comfort that there shouldn't be any big repair bills around the corner.  Out of interest how much did you pay for the clutch and DMF replacement (I have this to look forward to soon)?

You may well have a point there, the media is very powerful.

Indeed. On the one hand the list of maintenance may put people off as they probably think that it was falling apart when, in reality, they're all key items that should not need replacing again in a hurry (tyres, aside). However, I would be reassured if I saw that when buying an 11 year old car. Had I sold it a year ago the unlucky soul would have incurred those costs! As I have had to replace so much I am loathe to let it go for too low a price.

Clutch and DMF was about £650, but would have to dig out the receipt as cannot remember the exact cost. Not a fun purchase, that one.

Might have to be patient. When I was selling my previous car it didn't really get any interest until I put it on auto trader. Even on auto trader I noticed it took several days until it would be properly seen if someone just searched the make and model which was a bit of a con. 

Have you checked the contact details are right. My dad has a spare phone he uses for when selling things and my sister read out the wrong number for it meaning someone might of been getting called about a car which they didn't know about. 

36 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Might have to be patient. When I was selling my previous car it didn't really get any interest until I put it on auto trader. Even on auto trader I noticed it took several days until it would be properly seen if someone just searched the make and model which was a bit of a con. 

Have you checked the contact details are right. My dad has a spare phone he uses for when selling things and my sister read out the wrong number for it meaning someone might of been getting called about a car which they didn't know about. 

Yes, I gues so but it’s been on for 3 weeks now. Really surprised it hasn’t even had a call or two from someone who wants a look and will try to haggle down a couple lf hundred quid. Oh well, I’ll be patient. Should only cost me £25 or so for a month of insurance so not the end of the world.

That's a nice clean well looked after car you've got there, this is just MY personal opinion, I would keep it for another two to four years, you've spent out on the most expensive parts, so I'd keep it so I would have the benefit of it. The only thing I would do if it were my car, is I'd get a nice new set of alloy wheels, otherwise it looks spot on.

As previously stated it's a known fact that diesels are not selling as good now ( Jaguar cars are cutting production of their diesel cars at Halewood) 

If you are adamant you want to sell it, I would put a new MOT on it, most people looking for a second hand car, like a new or long MOT, yours runs out in two months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilto said:

That's a nice clean well looked after car you've got there, this is just MY personal opinion, I would keep it for another two to four years, you've spent out on the most expensive parts, so I'd keep it so I would have the benefit of it. The only thing I would do if it were my car, is I'd get a nice new set of alloy wheels, otherwise it looks spot on.

As previously stated it's a known fact that diesels are not selling as good now ( Jaguar cars are cutting production of their diesel cars at Halewood) 

If you are adamant you want to sell it, I would put a new MOT on it, most people looking for a second hand car, like a new or long MOT, yours runs out in two months.

Good points made. 

In quite relaxed about it really, if I can’t sell it I’ll just sell the fiesta and won’t be out of pocket.

Good idea about new alloys, however I think I’m to tight to do that!

Agree about the MOT, that is probably a deal breaker for many as they’re most likely nervous that they’ll have to Shell out for repairs in April. Might get one this week.

My mk2 facelift will be going up for sale tomorrow (well, probably be the weekend before I get the chance to list it) and am dreading it tbh...  

People are scared to buy diesels at all now, let alone privately with no warranty.  With yours being prefacelift, 2.0 (people look at running costs rather than reliability) and just a midrange Zetec, it's not really sought after and there are plenty of similar ones about.  

3 figure mileages also put people off, so seeing it's nearly at 100k will deter people, as well as the short MOT, and the fact that last year the exhaust was advised as being in poor condition.

BUT, the biggest issue right now though - it's January, everyones skint after xmas, it's the worst month to sell a car...but a good month to buy one lol.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

My mk2 facelift will be going up for sale tomorrow (well, probably be the weekend before I get the chance to list it) and am dreading it tbh...  

People are scared to buy diesels at all now, let alone privately with no warranty.  With yours being prefacelift, 2.0 (people look at running costs rather than reliability) and just a midrange Zetec, it's not really sought after and there are plenty of similar ones about.  

3 figure mileages also put people off, so seeing it's nearly at 100k will deter people, as well as the short MOT, and the fact that last year the exhaust was advised as being in poor condition.

BUT, the biggest issue right now though - it's January, everyones skint after xmas, it's the worst month to sell a car...but a good month to buy one lol.

Fair points. I am getting an MOT on Saturday so at least then it will have a full 12 months and any previous advisories would have been sorted out. I figure that if I keep it I'll have to do it anyway so may as well take the hit now, even if it does mean losing a couple of months. Hopefully the reassurance of a full 12 months MOT will help shift it.