Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Optimum RPM

Leed

Hello

I have 2017 Fiesta Zetec 1.0 Eco Boost, 6 gear, 5 dr and I am trying to find the answer to the question below.

What is the right/optimum RPM to drive it at 1500rpm or 2000rpm?

My previous car was a 2007 Ford Focus in which 2000rpm seemed to have been the optimum but with engine technology moving on I’m not sure what is the right figure to drive the new fiesta at.

I am following the gear change arrows when shown on the display but at times it seems the engine is struggling in the advised gear.

If you can provide any guidance on this matter it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

On these Fiestas the turbo will not kick in at all below 1500rpm. 

I typically change up a gear so it lands at around 2000rpm in the new gear.

When cruising around the city I try to keep it around 2000 to 2500rpm. At these revs I think it feels smoother and it also gives me the opportunity to accelerate easily without having to change down a gear. On the motorway it sits between 3000 and 3500rpm.

PS, the gear change arrows should begin to adapt to your driving.

HTH.

I only have the 5 speed but at 70 on the motorway i'm only at 2500 rpm (in 5th)

Ignore the shift arrows and change gear when you feel is right, how do you think people did it before these indicators started being fitted?

They aren't there for optimum performance just for optimum fuel economy, they won't adapt to your driving either.

i find the change up arrow annoying. does anyone know if it can be turned off. Drive by what feels right for the car and your driving style. 

Might be able to turn it using Forscan, mine dissapeared when the car was mapped.

8 hours ago, dansallis said:

PS, the gear change arrows should begin to adapt to your driving.

does it though I thought there only job was to help drivers be more economical.

43 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

does it though I thought there only job was to help drivers be more economical.

Sort of. If you're gentle on the throttle it will tell you to change up at around 2000rpm (at least on my car). If you put your foot down a little more then it will disappear. Also if your foot isn't on the throttle and you're above 2000rpm then it won't show.

yes, the change point is dynamic if your cruising it will change at 2000 rpm if under heavy acceleration it doesn't show until 6000 rpm as changing up earlier in these conditions will slow acceleration. 

10 hours ago, MarksST said:

Ignore the shift arrows and change gear when you feel is right, how do you think people did it before these indicators started being fitted?

They aren't there for optimum performance just for optimum fuel economy, they won't adapt to your driving either.

You are right here,i think its just common sense as you know when putting you foot down will use more so an arrow to tell me i just ignore.

My 1.6 green arrow comes on at 2 on the revs and to change up in something like first is mad,it dont make a fast amount of different as i have tried being good.Lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club