Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Firmware update changes list.

Stenliivanov

Hi guys,

Recently I noticed on etis site that there is update for the PCM module of my Focus Mk3 1.6 TDCi 115hp. I searched over the internet but I couldn't find any information about the changes and the effect of this update.  I asked the local dealer but they could not tell me anything about  that.  I've  done PCM update last year and there was a positive effect especially in the starting in 1st gear. Now the dealer said that update usually is performed if there is a need and there is new version.  

I asked if need means problem but they did not clarify.  I'm wondering if I should do the update or not because I do not have problems with my car but if the update will make it better - why not. 

Does someone did the PCM module update (version January 2018 - 20180121-G1403660-57)? If yes please share what changed after. Or does someone know where we can get information about the changes/reasons and the expected effects after the module update (not only PCM but any).

Thank you! 

Ford will only update the Power-Train-Control Module if there is an issue with the car.

Why do you wish to update it.

Best to leave it alone if there is no issue.

Jamie

Leave alone, sometimes it can cause other issues that then need another update etc.

• Like 2

Ford software update mantra is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• Like 2

Yeah I've heard  this mantra. But last January I was at the dealership for routine service  and then they asked me if I'd want my PCM to be updated because there is a new version. At this time I wasn't experiencing any problems. 

I said "yes"  and after I got my car back I noticed that the annoying strange take-off was gone.  

Today I saw that there are new fresh versions of BCM, PCM and front display released 2018. I will visit the dealership and if the updates are successful I will let you know if there is noticeable changes. I will use that opportunity to ask them if there is a place where I can read the change log. 

• Like 1

I have a 2014 2.0 tdci zetecs  and when I got it I had a annoying cutting out stalling problem which a later software update cured but the new version introduced a new problem of what seems like pinking in high gears and a noisier tickover,so just checked and see a new version is available so just booked it in for it to be done and hoping this puts right what last update did.

hi, 

what version did you see as in Etis?

I saw that there are new firmware versions for the BCM and the cetntral dislplay module dated january 2018. I wonder what changes could  be in there. 

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, alexp999 said:

what they mean is... the last think we want you to know we can do is to improve/fix it, when for the last 20 years we been making you buy new ones instead where we make a tidy profit

does anyone really think they have 25 guys on their payroll ( IT and engineering boffins on more than 100k each with benefits package) if they're faulty, buggy, insecure rubbish software didn't need to be rewritten properly once every few months?

9 hours ago, Botus said:

what they mean is... the last think we want you to know we can do is to improve/fix it, when for the last 20 years we been making you buy new ones instead where we make a tidy profit

does anyone really think they have 25 guys on their payroll ( IT and engineering boffins on more than 100k each with benefits package) if they're faulty, buggy, insecure rubbish software didn't need to be rewritten properly once every few months?

No it's because updating software when there is nothing to fix, could introduce new issues which the customer will expect them to fix.

• Like 1

Or in the case of my audio system, try to fix a problem which then introduces another problem of which now several updates have not fixed.

• Haha 1

So in general- there is no chance what will change after a firmware update of any module - even Ford dealers probably don't know this. Don't we have someone here who works for any dealership to clarify some more. 

ford dealers are generally kept in the dark regarding software updates and why they are made available, unless its released for a specific issue . ive had 4 pcm updates on my mk3 focus and on each occasion there was no change in behavoiur. probably a few tweeks to perrameters before a dtc is triggered. will never know.

On 02/02/2018 at 11:48 AM, alexp999 said:

Ford's other mantra is "even if it IS broke and under warranty then go forth and multiply!" :whip:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

so.. did anyone do the recent updates or all are scared as me:laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

once upon a time, a software update had a small amount of risk...in the last 10 years the risk is virtually nothing and the benefits massive

on  BMW they have a system where u plug it in, it cross references where you are and what's available and does the whole vehicle  in one hit, job done,

I had my 57 plate car done (which it had never had any updates before) in 2014.  It ended up with an auto gearbox that worked far better with much smoother gear changes, 2mpg better economy, the sat nav fixed, and all of a sudden the two turbos woke up and it had about 20% more top end grunt... (and I'm NOT joking !!!) it went from bland rubbish to having a decent top end hit, it also brought the vehicle diagnostics up to the current std that meant next trip to the dealer they wouldn't charge me 250 to update it so they could tell me what was wrong.

I just had my BM R1200GS bike done and that new engine map is far better.... ONLY 10 years after I asked the idiots to fix it and all the time the lying gits said we don't do that sir!  Cost me a whole £30 quid at a main BM stealership this year

On a merc I had 3d maps enabled and the update also laid the pre work so I could just plug and play a DAB tuner upgrade in the boot - that's working a treat now !

A mate this week just had his insignia infotainment done, he now has 15 presets on screen instead of the joke 5 before.  The whole menu structure is more intuitive, and there stuff to play with that was clearly missing before hand.

Not updating is the most ridiculous way to keep your car less reliable, less safe and less secure

• Like 1

On 06/05/2018 at 12:07 AM, Botus said:

Not updating is the most ridiculous way to keep your car less reliable, less safe and less secure

Just like a PC then!

• Like 1

not sure if your being humorous or not....

on a car the software has to pretend to work.... its not windows 10 where each day you get a 4gig download that u never wanted.... or an app update on your phone.... I suspect both the windows and phone app updates are really about taking personal data and giving/selling it to google for misuse

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone got the updates available for our cars, but soon I hope that I will have news. In the beggining of August. I will have my timing belt replaced and I've asked the dealer to check and upodate all modules where updates are available. I hope that all will go smooth and without complications due to the mods which I made with forscan.I've enabled hill launch assist and anti hijack options and when I did it forscan downloaded some additional files which were writtnen in the BCM. I hope that these mods will not cause the module to be bricked. 

As soon as I have news I will share the results and if there is some noticeable change. 

ive had issues with bcm update after doing my own changes for hill assist, rain sensing, tdds, auto lights, ambient lighting, etc etc etc 

the ford bcm software didnt want to load up. got 3/4 way and stopped. it said after the software loaded but it didnt and rechecking it still showed the original software version. previously ive reset the bcm back to original state before doing update and its worked fine then change the hill assist settings etc again using forscan or focuus. 

unfortunatly my elm 327 broke , so i havent got round to having another go.

I guess it depends how it checks stuff, seems a bit much tweaked software on a module would resit going back to std (mind you read the last paragraph as I remembered stuff as I wrote).

On BM the whole car integration update will always fail if you added modules that were not there as std.  Adding extras like a bluetooth module / CD changer and the like means the "vehicle order" ( a list of toys on the car) will not match the original build spec and whilst it will start to programme everything when it reaches the new module that it doesn't know is there, it will try to write the software for the module that's on the original build and keel over.  If you take it out of the loop it programmes OK but with your toy new deactivated (and worse not updated).  Its an easy fix to do it all, but everything on modern cars has a paid license (no one talks about) so a main dealer won't add your toy for free and programme stuff.

This might relate to iantt's post

I was reading one set of recent BMW release notes....they stated it plans to blow the brains out of any module that's been "tweaked aftermarket" to enable new toys.  And its irretrievable, with a new module the only fix.  (I believe most current BM head units they have everything in there (sat nav, BT, music streaming, internet, etc. but turned off in cheaper cars).

What do you mean? 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:17 AM, Botus said:

system duplicated !

@iantt @Botus So your advice is to return the configuration to the stock one or to cancel BCM update (there are PCM and front display modules updates) because of the chance my BCM module to be bricked (or it just wouldn't accept the update?) or to cancel all updates at all? 

I'll let iantt answer properly....

for me always update the car to latest spec/software before you play.... and unless u like gambling don't play and then wonder why the warranty issues aren't sorted

• Like 1

i would just change the settings back to original in bcm  then get all your updates done. then after change the settings back to your preference in bcm . 

• Like 2

Thanks! My warranty has expired 1year ago but my worries are only not to brick the BCM module. 

I'll return the BCM to as-built state but still the SBL(secondary boot loader) which I've downloaded from here http://forscan.org/download/CalibrationFiles.zip and wrote in CC will remain there. I don't know if it cause fault so may be I'll will ask only for routine diagnostics only and will not ask for updates at all. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club