Do Not Sell My Personal Information

low battery warning?

ged600

Even after a long motorway run if i mess with the radio or dash cam for more than a few minutes with engine off it shows low battery warning on dashboard?

Is this just over caution or is it a common fault?

Thanks in advance!

A few minutes? While the system can be over-cautious that sounds like a fault. Could be battery on its way out or could be that the battery isn't getting fully charged.

Do you have any voltages?

• Thanks 1

My car used to do this frequently, like yours, even after a long drive (Somerset to Dover) the message would come up after a few minutes. I had the battery replaced when the car was 4 years old in 2015 and it's been fine since.

• Like 1

I have had a owned a Mondeo 2.2 Titanium x sport and a Kuga Titanium in the past and both have displayed the message low battery it was the key remote battery needs replacing

Try replacing the key remote battery in both key remotes and the message should clear

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 12:08 PM, Frembrit said:

My car used to do this frequently, like yours, even after a long drive (Somerset to Dover) the message would come up after a few minutes. I had the battery replaced when the car was 4 years old in 2015 and it's been fine since.

I've had the battery checked at a garage and is giving out correct voltage and is ok according to them!

On 2/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, BOF said:

A few minutes? While the system can be over-cautious that sounds like a fault. Could be battery on its way out or could be that the battery isn't getting fully charged.

Do you have any voltages?

I've had the battery checked at a garage and is giving out correct voltage and is ok according to them!

On 2/3/2018 at 7:50 PM, JAKE191 said:

I have had a owned a Mondeo 2.2 Titanium x sport and a Kuga Titanium in the past and both have displayed the message low battery it was the key remote battery needs replacing

Try replacing the key remote battery in both key remotes and the message should clear

I never thought of that, according to the handbook it shows car battery not key fob batteries?

1 hour ago, ged600 said:

Voltage alone is no indicator of battery condition it needs a load test

• Like 2

On 06/02/2018 at 8:36 PM, ged600 said:

I never thought of that, according to the handbook it shows car battery not key fob batteries?

You're correct, the dash will say if its the key fob battery or the car battery.

You could take the battery off and charge it overnight and see if that helps, if not then it probably needs replacing if it's over 4 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

For about a year now I've been getting the odd Immobiliser active, low battery, poor starting but never quite failing

Head unit would keep forgetting attached phone.

Everything solved by a new battery. Even though when tested they advised that nothing was wrong with.

Found out that the battery was 7 years old.

• Like 1

A ropey battery can and often DOES cause no end of weird issues with modern cars.

• Like 1

haha, since I posted in February, I got the Low battery message last week. The battery was fitted just over 3 years ago and is a Ford branded unit (made by Varta). 

I decided to take it out and tested it with a load tester (indicated ok) and then charge it on a mainentance charger for 2 days. Whilst that was charging I fitted an old Halfords Calcium battery that I removed from my old ST24 (bought new in 2012 but charged regularly since removal), the battery was slightly taller so I had to remove the battery box for it to fit, it started the car fine and didn't give the low battery message (but it was only fitted for two days). After replacing the Ford battery, all was well for about 5 days but then I got the message again. Just like the previous (original) battery, it has never failed to start the car, but it does switch off the stereo after about 10 mins when the engine is not running. 

• 3 months later...

I've been reading this topic with interest as my car on occasion comes up with the same message. I put my battery on charge overnight and it has only flashed up this warning once since, but the stop/ start has stopped working.  Any idea if it could be connected or is it just a high ambient temperature ?

I believe if the system thinks the battery is low then one of the first things that stop  working, to save power, is the start/stop function. I don't have this so I can't say much more than that.

I charged my battery again yesterday and fitted the CTEK quick connectors to the battery terminals, so I don't have to remove it next time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I had a 2008 Mondeo 2.2 Sport for nearly 4 years, which several times gave me  'key not detected' and 'Low Battery' warnings, the latter after I sat with the engine off  and radio on for 10 -20 mins. While it was up for sale the car battery died quite suddenly and had to be replaced. I've recently replaced it with  a 2011 2.2 sport from my brother, Yesterday I got the Low battery warning after sitting for 15 mins with engine off and radio on, then today I got the 'Key not detected' message! My brother had a car new battery fitted just prior to selling the car to me.It starts no bother in all weathers.  I think there must be errors with these info messages. Time will tell.

• 7 months later...

Here is something I found that worked not sure why and it has been annoying me for sometime. 
in this order

Disconnect battery for approx 60 sec

reconnect battery

re-charge battery on normal I used CTEK MKS 7.0 for Ford Ranger😉 but I’m sure any battery charger would do the same. 

The charging took maybe 2-3 hours so it didn’t appear fully charged but had been on long runs etc but I was still getting the annoying messages after a few minutes or even in the mornings. 
Not sure if the disconnect of the battery reset the expected nominal value to lower than that expected on a full charge but it seemed to work and haven’t had the message again. 
hope it helps anyone else seeing this. 
Ford mechs were of no help what so ever. 

• 1 month later...

FORD MONDEO 2L DIESEL LOW KEY battery HAD NEW battery FROM FORD FOR THREE WEEKS NOW GETTING MESSAGE AGAIN WOULD IT BE MY KEY FOB OR A NEW battery ON CAR MANY THANKS

hi I have a Mondeo mk 4 titanium x 2010 plate ...my remote wont open the doors ..when I press to unlock I can hear the car doors wanting tto open but they don't ..the indicator lights do flash tho ..I have changed battery in fob ..but car wont open ..I can open with actual key then alarm goes off ….anyone have any ideas 

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, ged600 said:

Even after a long motorway run if i mess with the radio or dash cam for more than a few minutes with engine off it shows low battery warning on dashboard?

Thanks in advance!

• Confused 1

On 2/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, ged600 said:

Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...

I have 2013 mondeo 1.6 eco, have had it 5 yrs. Stop/start only worked a few times an d Low battery came up on dash regularly. Saw my local tech guys an d was told its probably battery so swapped it for new one. Stop/start worked 3 times then stopped working but the switch has never turned itself "off" The alternator light only comes on with ignition and goes out immediately car starts

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I have 2013 mondeo 1.6 eco, have had it 5 yrs. Stop/start only worked a few times an d Low battery came up on dash regularly. Saw my local tech guys an d was told its probably battery so swapped it for new one. Stop/start worked 3 times then stopped working but the switch has never turned itself "off" The alternator light only comes on with ignition and goes out immediately car starts

Stop/start won't cut the engine every time you stop.  It depends on battery charge, electrical load and various temperatures.  The system doesn't ever turn itself off using the switch.  If there is a fault preventing the system working, a warning will show on the dash.  If it's just not stopping because the parameters haven't been met, that isn't actually a fault.

Do you generally do short journeys?  Was the BMS reset after the battery change?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club