Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low mpg mk2...

Jordan99

Hi all, I recently put a post up regarding my fuel light coming on at 1/4 of tank (still not sure why this happened but filling the tank seems to have worked). Someone commented saying they struggle to get their mpg below 34. The absolute highest I’ve had mine since owning the car (18months) is 27. 

Can anyone who owns a mk2 1.6 zetec on a 55 plate that this is about right or is my car really bad on fuel? 

Mileage is on 128k, was last given a full service 10 months ago and has had a cambelt done 8k ago. 

Thanks guys! 

Sounds about right. I have an 06 MK2 1.6 and I get around the same MPG's around the town. Usually 27 or 28. I get more on say, the motorway, usually high 30's or so. 

Seems to just be how these cars are unfortunately!

Was gonna say it prob a combination of a heavy car n small engine.. depends on how you drive it is it always loaded up with stuff in the boot etc.. so many variables. 

I've got a mk2.5 titanium 2.0 and round town I'm in mid 20s. Get it on to motorway though and into low to mid 40s so I can relate, mine done 57k with last service 3k ago.

Seem to remember you said about having 18" wheels Jordan?  It'll be those that are the issue, stick some 16s on with 205 width and I bet you'll see a few mpg increase.

• Like 1

I've got a 2007 1.6 Duratec (the non Vi version, so the least powerful apart from the 1.4L). I've got mine to average 32MPG with mostly short runs, but a few longer runs mixed in. I try and 'hypermile a little bit' - nothing dangerous like driving with the engine off though. 

It's not a very powerful engine, and when you put it into a heavier car (it was originally make for the Mk1, a considerably lighter car) it makes things worse. I usually travel alone though, and with only a small bag full of cloths and such in the boot. 

1 hour ago, Hobgoblinpie said:

I try and 'hypermile a little bit' - nothing dangerous like driving with the engine off though

I presume you mean coasting with the clutch out and/or in neutral gear. With modern cars that won't work because on the overrun they shut off fuel completely whereas coasting with the engine idling is still using fuel.

I didn't know that - thanks! I usually do it when I'm going down a relatively big hill, to pick up some speed easier, but I guess either way doesn't really matter. 

Try driving close behind an articulated lorry, the slipstream it creates will drag you along somewhat, you'll only be going a maximum of 56mph though, as that's what trucks are restricted to.

33mpg just now on a 7 mile drive to/from work on 50mph roads. It increases to around 38 mpg in the summer. ... 2008 1.6l (non vct) titanium focus

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/02/2018 at 8:55 AM, TomsFocus said:

Seem to remember you said about having 18" wheels Jordan?  It'll be those that are the issue, stick some 16s on with 205 width and I bet you'll see a few mpg increase.

I do have the 18’s but I was running standard 16’s for a year before changing them, from what I remember the mpg was about the same. It does go up to around 28-29 what I travel to my mums (80 mile down the m1). It sounds about right then from what people are saying. Thanks guys! 

On 04/02/2018 at 6:15 PM, wilto said:

Try driving close behind an articulated lorry, the slipstream it creates will drag you along somewhat, you'll only be going a maximum of 56mph though, as that's what trucks are restricted to.

The problem there is you've got no forward visibility, and trucks have very powerful brakes. You might end up saving £5.60 of fuel but having to pay out for a new front end!

Stupid question of the week: Have you rest your average MPG recently? Also, cold weather does impact MPG. On my old car it was about 10% worse in winter than in summer. 

Winter Def has impact on mpg as the ECU compensates for the cold by richening the mixture. 

My MK2.5 2.0 is shocking at the moment.. low 20s on the usual run I do where as a few MTH ago it was mid to high 20's. If I get the engine fully upto temp and on a gd run though and it's corrects itself but for short trips yes Def affects mpg, for me at least! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club