Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips for installing a speaker upgrade

Focus_ST-3

I have purchased the Pioneer Speakers and adaptors from Ford and plan to fit them myself. I want it to sound good so does anybody have any tips to achieve this? I dont know much about car audio but I have heard that sound deadening in the door cards, higher quality wiring and amps can improve the sound. Any advice/web links would be appreciated. Thanks

Wow that should be good when you fit them :)

How much did they cost you? do you have part number? Also are they a straight swap or do they need an amp?

Also I can't believe that you can spec a new Ka to have the Pioneers! Thats criminal when you can't do likewise for the Fiesta! And the Ka gets heated seats! wtf-m8 :blink:

Wow that should be good when you fit them :)

How much did they cost you? do you have part number? Also are they a straight swap or do they need an amp?

Also I can't believe that you can spec a new Ka to have the Pioneers! Thats criminal when you can't do likewise for the Fiesta! And the Ka gets heated seats! wtf-m8 :blink:

Ive fitted the front woofers and tweeters. Whilst the door panels were off, I fixed all of the rattles!

The speaker kit was £90 (2 x 17cm componets, 2 x tweeters and wiring) part number : 1479486

The speaker adaptors were £28 for a pair, part number : 1479484

I have just done a straight swap. However, although they are an improvement over the standard items, I feel that they are being limited by the lack of power from the headunit. I know JL Audio do a kit to solve this but it is quite expensive.

Ive fitted the front woofers and tweeters. Whilst the door panels were off, I fixed all of the rattles!

The speaker kit was £90 (2 x 17cm componets, 2 x tweeters and wiring) part number : 1479486

The speaker adaptors were £28 for a pair, part number : 1479484

I have just done a straight swap. However, although they are an improvement over the standard items, I feel that they are being limited by the lack of power from the headunit. I know JL Audio do a kit to solve this but it is quite expensive.

How easy was it to get the door panels off? I've got a rattle on the passenger door and wouldn't mind fixing it...

After looking into an after market setup I can honeslty say I wouldnt have touched the Piooneer stuff,

Thiers alot that will be done to mine to get the sound I want, the big Problem is the stock HU wont power much and has a restricted volumne control that will stop Bass going thru at higher Vols to stop you from damaging the stock Speakers, so you have to get something like an A1udison Bit One to level out the sound to reclaim quality back, tho you dont have to spend anywhere near this amount, its the type of thing you need, then a 4x amp to power the new Speakers and components and Sub, and really im just going to take the tweeters out of the doors, which is quite bad for sound balence, and install them in the front pillers with new moulded ones.

But door proofing is a must really, and its not to bad to pay for the material to do it, tho can be a right pain in the butt cheeks.

What's the sensitivity rating on the pioneer Speakers? The higher the sensitivity then the louder a speaker will play for a given watt of power. And does the stock head unit really limit bass at higher volumes? I'd have thought that it was just the amp being pushed into distorsion.

If I was going to run some Speakers off the stock head unit I'd have gone for some hertz deici's, they're meant to run really well off headunit power. I'd also have sound deadened the doors abit, hopefully that would have eliminated some of the rattles and also improved the bass response.

I've got a spare jbl 75.2 amp in the garage, If I can mount it behind the glove box I'm gonna upgrade my fronts to some spl dynamics components.

How easy was it to get the door panels off? I've got a rattle on the passenger door and wouldn't mind fixing it...

Very easy in fact. Remove the silver door handles, undo the screws and then pull the panel out of the plastic clips holding it on. Its the usual cheap and nasty Ford stuff, its always going to be easy to take apart.

After looking into an after market setup I can honeslty say I wouldnt have touched the Piooneer stuff,

Thiers alot that will be done to mine to get the sound I want, the big Problem is the stock HU wont power much and has a restricted volumne control that will stop Bass going thru at higher Vols to stop you from damaging the stock speakers, so you have to get something like an A1udison Bit One to level out the sound to reclaim quality back, tho you dont have to spend anywhere near this amount, its the type of thing you need, then a 4x amp to power the new speakers and components and Sub, and really im just going to take the tweeters out of the doors, which is quite bad for sound balence, and install them in the front pillers with new moulded ones.

But door proofing is a must really, and its not to bad to pay for the material to do it, tho can be a right pain in the butt cheeks.

Thanks for the advice, I may look into an amp, its certainly cheaper than other options. Do you have a link to a suitable amp?

What's the sensitivity rating on the pioneer speakers?

The sensitivity is 91dB/W. I sound deadened the doors but the Ford headunit and wiring is the weak link. It is a shame that an aftermarket headunit cant be fitted to the new Fiesta but a better OEM system may be available if an ST/RS becomes available.

The Hertz Speakers looked good but I went for the Pioneers as I could get all the stuff I needed through Ford :)

i've been looking into doing this, this fitting will be no problem just the affording it for me at the minute as most my money goes out on petrol with not having a full time job cos still at college... What price do you reckon be looking at for a decent upgrade to the Speakers? dont want too get worse or ones that are no different. Amps as well would i really need one get a better sound? and finally... i would have to do the back Speakers as well because i think it would annoy me not having a boom from the back too!!

oh i forgot to mention this... the sound proofing, how much that roughly too??

Dont bother with back Speakers, when you listen to music do you turn the Speakers to face the other way too?

Amp Wise you might as well go for a Four channel to power the front component Speakers fully and well, then install a small prebuilt 12"sub in the back...you can go for a smaller 10" one if space is a problem.

JBL do a decent range if cheap and chearful products, some you can buy as made up kits that include the Amp, Sub, Sub Box and wiring kit, and can start from about £150 for the lot, depending on Amp etc.

You could get a Genesis Processor for about £70 that would sort the HU sound quality out too.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont bother with back speakers, when you listen to music do you turn the speakers to face the other way too?

Amp Wise you might as well go for a Four channel to power the front component speakers fully and well, then install a small prebuilt 12"sub in the back...you can go for a smaller 10" one if space is a problem.

JBL do a decent range if cheap and chearful products, some you can buy as made up kits that include the Amp, Sub, Sub Box and wiring kit, and can start from about £150 for the lot, depending on Amp etc.

You could get a Genesis Processor for about £70 that would sort the HU sound quality out too.

Hi Strutter,

Have you got a link or anything for the Genesis processor im looking for a cheap alternative to the JL Cleansweep.

Thanks

Jut wanted to say JL Audio have been and still are considered to make amongst THE best quality audio kit you can buy for your motor. Hence why they cost, they have been doing it for years and are in many many many competition and show cars.

If you can afford it, you won't regret it. But, they are also normally powerful amps that they make so you may need sound proofing as advised above.