Do Not Sell My Personal Information

56 2.2 TDCi will not start - poss sensor related?

skeby

Car let me down today for the first time in 3 years....

56 plate 2.2 TDCi Mondeo Titanium X

Had driven 1 mile in the cold from home with all electrics on inc seats etc, then parked for 10 mins with only ignition on but seats still on.

After 10 mins tried to start it but it would only turn over and not start.

Thought it was battery related so put jumper cables on it for 30 mins from another car bit still same, occasioannly turning over more and almost catching but not quite.

Got RAC out and after checking correct fuel type, enough fuel, connecting a laptop to diagnostic connector under steering column said everything was OK and no fault found from the diagnostic.

After taking engine cover off I was turning over the engine while he wiggled cables and when he touched the connector which connects to the sensor on the end of the injector rail the car started. It turned over a bit rough and lots of smoke out the back. He said he thought it was due to pressure sensor on the injector rail and could be the sensor or cable broken.

I managed to get it home and switched off and tried to start again but same happened. On the way home some smoke from the back but seemed reasonable performance, but mpg was only about 12-13mpg on the trip computer.

Tried wiggling the cable myself, took off the connetor and cleaed it and the end of the sensor but still the same.

Could it be this sensor on the rail, or the cable/connector?

Cheers.

Car let me down today for the first time in 3 years....

56 plate 2.2 TDCi Mondeo Titanium X

Had driven 1 mile in the cold from home with all electrics on inc seats etc, then parked for 10 mins with only ignition on but seats still on.

After 10 mins tried to start it but it would only turn over and not start.

Thought it was battery related so put jumper cables on it for 30 mins from another car bit still same, occasioannly turning over more and almost catching but not quite.

Got RAC out and after checking correct fuel type, enough fuel, connecting a laptop to diagnostic connector under steering column said everything was OK and no fault found from the diagnostic.

After taking engine cover off I was turning over the engine while he wiggled cables and when he touched the connector which connects to the sensor on the end of the injector rail the car started. It turned over a bit rough and lots of smoke out the back. He said he thought it was due to pressure sensor on the injector rail and could be the sensor or cable broken.

I managed to get it home and switched off and tried to start again but same happened. On the way home some smoke from the back but seemed reasonable performance, but mpg was only about 12-13mpg on the trip computer.

Tried wiggling the cable myself, took off the connetor and cleaed it and the end of the sensor but still the same.

Could it be this sensor on the rail, or the cable/connector?

Cheers.

2nd Feb 2010

Turned out to be nothing to do with electrical or sensor or fuel.

EGR valve was stuck open!! Badly caked in carbon. Cleaned it as best possible with carburettor cleaner and it closed, car ran OK afterwards but I need to change it as it will happen again.

2nd Feb 2010

Turned out to be nothing to do with electrical or sensor or fuel.

EGR valve was stuck open!! Badly caked in carbon. Cleaned it as best possible with carburettor cleaner and it closed, car ran OK afterwards but I need to change it as it will happen again.

try eBay, type in ford mondeo 2.2 tdci bypass valve, should find one no problem. I've got the 2.0 tdci 130 and the valve was clogged, fitted the bypass valve and it's run like new ever since, and it stops the chuff of black smoke when you put your foot down, other than a K&N filter it's the best money i've spent on my car B)

the bypass valve does the same job as a blanking plate, on euro 4 engines the emf light will illuminate due to lack of air flow at the sensor.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club