Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre recommendations

lloydyyy

Currently running Kumhos all-round on my Mk6.5 Fiesta. Kumho is a decent tyre but I fancy a change and was thinking of going back to the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, but then realised something when I saw the prices. The Kumhos are £50 fitted, the Michelin PS3s are £67 fitted and the Goodyears are also £67 fitted. Is it a no-brainer and I should opt for the Michelins, or maybe the Goodyears instead?

On the front I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and they are brilliant in the wet and in snow.

• Like 1

2nd that for Uniroyals, I got them fitted via blackcircles for £54 a corner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had three Hankook K120 Ventus Evo2 fitted on my ST this morning. Obviously very early days but they feel better than the original Bridgestone Potenza's that were fitted from new.

• Like 1

I've been hearing nexen to be good plus some manufacturers instal these on their cars. My dad bought a set of these tires for his 18' BBS wheels

• Like 1

I have just had the New Bridgstones on the front to go with the back ones,top reviews everywhere i look and Amazing in the wet as i have tried them out.

Had a good deal on them so gone with them,first set i have had since i had the car.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently running Kumho Ecsta HS51s on the car. The fronts are just under 3mm so as you can imagine they're not great in the wet at the moment, so I'm looking to get them changed ASAP. I honestly can't remember what they were like when I had them fitted. So wet grip/braking and fuel efficiency ratings for the tyre are C/C. The RainSports sounds good but apparently they're well-known for wearing quite quickly.

I have rainsport 3's and they still easily have over 7mm of tread after 8,000 miles. They're a soft tyre so they probably will wear quicker. However I personally prefer them over any others I've used, and £40 cheaper than Continental 5's I was looking at. Even if they wear 50% faster it still works out being at a similar price as mine were £70 a corner.

The Continental 5's that were on my original wheels are down to around 2.5-3mm of tread when I got the car at 12,000 miles so just shows it's how the car's driven...

• Like 1

My Rainsport 3s have now done 5000 miles and still look like new.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my dad's refurbished golf anniversary 18' BBS wheels. I'm sure he didn't get the nexen tires for too much. 

_20180212_151308.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a think and narrowed it down to...

Tyre make/model Where from? Price (2 tyres) Delivery Tracking Fitting Total
Kumho Ecsta HS51 Local garage £100.00 £0.00 £24.00 £0.00 £124.00
Continental Premium Contact 5 Camskill £96.20 £7.90 £20.00 £20.00 £144.10
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Camskill £104.80 £7.90 £20.00 £20.00 £152.70
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance Camskill £102.00 £7.90 £20.00 £20.00 £149.90
Avon ZV7 Blackcircles £88.36 £0.00 £20.00 £0.00 £108.36

I've read good things about the Avon ZV7 on this forum but is the price too good to be true?

21 hours ago, lloydyyy said:

I've read good things about the Avon ZV7 on this forum but is the price too good to be true?

i have ZV7's on the front good grip on in the wet and dry, and have good tread left on them, iv just bought some toyo proxies CF2 they have good reviews im getting them put on the backs then swapping them to the fronts later on today,  they were £55 off eBay and got it delivered to argos and arrived in 2 days.

• Like 1

Pilot Sport 3's seem to be the choice for Ford these days, came from factory on my new fiesta... Might be worth considering

• Like 1

Michelin PS3s have been superseded by the PS4s now so might be worth checking prices for them as well.  My mate runs them on his 300bhp Saab and swears by them.

I'd be sceptical of £20 tracking, where's that from?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Michelin PS3s have been superseded by the PS4s now so might be worth checking prices for them as well.  My mate runs them on his 300bhp Saab and swears by them.

I'd be sceptical of £20 tracking, where's that from?

I can only find PS3s for my Fiesta. The local popular indie charges £25 for tracking, Day's charge £20 and another local indie also charges about £20.

Crikey...  Things are so much more expensive here in East Anglia, even at £35 tracking is a risk here!

Fair enough on sizes, maybe they're only doing the PS4s in the larger sizes or phasing in the smaller sizes over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Crikey...  Things are so much more expensive here in East Anglia, even at £35 tracking is a risk here!

Fair enough on sizes, maybe they're only doing the PS4s in the larger sizes or phasing in the smaller sizes over time.

Crikey, I think we'd pay around £35 here for 4-wheel alignment :laugh:

I know that new tyres should always be fitted to the rear. The rears were fitted in August last year and they have about 6.5mm - 7mm of tread left but it's the fronts that need replacing. Is it worth rotating the tyres anyway or should I just have the new tyres fitted to the front?

To have all 4 wheel aligned here you're looking at £80...  Or £50 mates rates...

With just 6 months difference, it's probably not worth moving the rear tyres forward in this case.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't blinking decide :laugh:

I've ruled out Continental because of its shocking wear rate and the reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk weren't great. The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance hasn't done so well in recent Auto Express and ADAC tests, so I might rule that out as well. I think it's going to be either the Hankook Ventus Prime 3, Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo (did well in ADAC and Auto Express tests), the Michelin PS3 or maybe the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (bit skeptical on the wear rate and if the price is too good to be true, but Camskill recommended them out of a number of tyres I asked for advice on).

After driving in the recent heavy snow, I'm really impressed with the Rainsport 3s.

2 hours ago, lloydyyy said:

I still can't blinking decide :laugh:

I've ruled out Continental because of its shocking wear rate and the reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk weren't great. The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance hasn't done so well in recent Auto Express and ADAC tests, so I might rule that out as well. I think it's going to be either the Hankook Ventus Prime 3, Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo (did well in ADAC and Auto Express tests), the Michelin PS3 or maybe the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (bit skeptical on the wear rate and if the price is too good to be true, but Camskill recommended them out of a number of tyres I asked for advice on).

I've been using conti wintercontacts the last two winters. Very good and no complaints. Haven't worn too badly either.  

Thought I'd just throw off your decision a bit :). 

Well, after all that fuss, I went with the Kumho Ecsta HS51 in the end :laugh: They've reviewed well and perform just as well as some of the premium brands according to some reviews. I've always had good experiences with Kumho.

Even with the current Kumho KH31 fitted to the front with about 2mm of tread left, they still perform well even in the wet, and even wet cornering is still great. They've last fairly well, too. They were fitted to the rear in October 2014 at 47463 miles and then rotated to the front in August 2017 at 79528 miles. With the car's current mileage, they've lasted about 40k miles.

The Ecsta HS51 was favourably reviewed by the Mazda MX--5 owners club, and it scored well in the Auto Express tyre test and the 2018 ADAC summer tyre test. I have the Ecsta HS51 fitted to the rear at the moment and they'll be rotated to the front when I get the new tyres fitted on Saturday, so I'll have an idea of how they'll really perform. I've done about 10k miles with the Ecsta HS51 fitted to the rear and they're currently on about 6mm. Hopefully I'll get decent mileage out of them.

garage i worked for sold alot of kumho tyres, customer feedback was good. i used to have ku39 on my cars and they were good in wet, and lasted well. 

I'm running a set of Nokian Allweathers on the Fusion.  Excellent in the dry and warm, unbeatable in the cold and snow.

The new tyres are on. The garage mentioned that they were impressed with the new tyres and asked a bit more about them.

Then I took it to my usual place to have the tracking done. But one of the guys said that there track rod ends are completely siezed. I've got the car booked in for a week's time. They'll try getting the track rod ends off, clean and grease them otherwise it'll be about £30-£40 per side for new track rod ends.