Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone want bonnet lifters for their mk3?

Phil21185

1 hour ago, drsdriver said:

Thanks for the write up, very informative. 

Question ! Why do you need to remove the bonnet bumpers, will the struts not work correctly with them in place?

Also how much force do you require to pull down on the bonnet to close it. . Is it a matter of pulling down and let the weight of the bonnet close it self under the struts tension, or do you have to hang onto the bonnet as you close it ? 

Dont want the bonnet to be slammed shut. Also once you release the bonnet locking do you just lift it up or will the struts lift it up by themselves? 

Sorry to many questions. 

Not a problem. I believe the bumpers foul where the struts now lie but to be honest I was simply following the instructions :)

The bonnet won't spring open on its own, and doesn't snap out of your hand when opening.

When closing, once you have overcome the turning moment (that's first year grammar school physics coming back from somewhere!) which the struts exert on the bonnet (about 3/4 open) the bonnet is then more or less under its own weight as if the struts weren't there. 

It feels as though it's been designed so that the struts just comfortably take the weight of the bonnet once open, like a bit weaker than the boot feels.

There is no feeling that it's going to give way on your head either!!

Thanks for the update . 

Just the bit you said about taking the painted bolt out and ***** in the eye bolt. Once it’s screwed in there is no going back. ,

will decide in a few days about buying a set. 

Thanks for your help . 

Just bought a set, hopefully they will arrive over the weekend so I can fit them on Monday. I forgot to ask, does the bonnet feel as sturdy as if they were OEM lifters, is there any flex in the bonnet when you are opening/shutting it?

Fitted mine this afternoon. To get the lowered ball socket to clip in right you need to half close the bonnet. Apart from that, very easy to install. 

I've put a little video of them working here:

https://twitter.com/ArwenX7/status/964850626508263425?s=09

Mine arrived this morning, so I’ll fit them next week when the baby gives me a free minute! Cheers for the video, that’s how I pictured them working but wasn’t sure if they would be that strong. Decent price in comparison to the job they do.

On 09/02/2018 at 2:23 PM, mastachaz said:

nice do they make any damage? i know for back make damage.

They can be dangerous in a frontal impact, hence manufacturers stopped fitting them in the late noughties, and many insurers won't cover them as a medication.

1 hour ago, Jethro_Tull said:

They can be dangerous in a frontal impact, hence manufacturers stopped fitting them in the late noughties, and many insurers won't cover them as a medication.

Are you on some medication? I’m struggling to understand your comment because hydraulic lifting struts are present on more than 50% of new cars, and this post has zero relation to ‘medication’

Yes, I'd be interested in a citation for your post Jethro as it would make interesting reading I'm sure.

Jon these'll take you 20mins tops if you have the tools ready!

• Like 1

I believe he is responding to post #2 @Phil21185, not sure where the medication parts come from though.

yes, I’ll dig the right tools out first. I’ll read through the thread and see what I need.

He meant modification... :wink: 

But I assume he doesn't drive any German cars, as they've all got lifters lol...  The only reason small Fords don't is the same reason they don't get disc rears...cost!

51 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Are you on some medication? I’m struggling to understand your comment because hydraulic lifting struts are present on more than 50% of new cars, and this post has zero relation to ‘medication’

Sorry, Android thinks it can spell better than me.

No, they are not present on anywhere 50% of new cars.  My final 6 years in the police were as an accident investigator, and as such I was privy to a lot of vehicle safety information that otherwise would normally only circulate between the trade and manufacturers.

Gas struts are a dangerous in a frontal collision, and this started causing problems for manufacturers when pedestrian safety was incorporated into NCAP testing, and the feature started to get dropped in the Noughties as a result.  No current Peugeot, Vauxhall, Citroen, Renault, Volvo (apart from the XC60 and 90, which incorporate active pedestrian safety instead, and use very short struts) or Nissan has them.  No current Ford Europe model has them.  So where are the more than 50% of new cars that have them?

Most cooking BMW's, Mercede's do not have them.  Audi are fond of them, but like Volvo they use alloy bonnets to permit shorter and weaker struts.Some very large models, such as certain S class variants, 7 series etc, have them, but they mitigate the risk in other ways with deployable bonnets etc.  They've gone from being increasingly common place in the 00's, to a relative rarity on new models now because they compromise the cars ability to get a decent NCAP pedestrian safety score.  And for that reason, some insurers don't like the mod.  

Of the 10 best selling cars currently on sale in the UK, only the MB C class (at number 10) has them, so where is the 50% or more of new cars that have them gone?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

He meant modification... :wink: 

But I assume he doesn't drive any German cars, as they've all got lifters lol...  The only reason small Fords don't is the same reason they don't get disc rears...cost!

Haha, your right! I didn’t even see that auto correct assist! 

Yes, my Mondeo had them and I really think they should be fitted on all cars.

2 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Sorry, Android thinks it can spell better than me.

No, they are not present on anywhere 50% of new cars.  My final 6 years in the police were as an accident investigator, and as such I was privy to a lot of vehicle safety information that otherwise would normally only circulate between the trade and manufacturers.

Gas struts are a dangerous in a frontal collision, and this started causing problems for manufacturers when pedestrian safety was incorporated into NCAP testing, and the feature started to get dropped in the Noughties as a result.  No current Peugeot, Vauxhall, Citroen, Renault, Volvo (apart from the XC60 and 90, which incorporate active pedestrian safety instead, and use very short struts) or Nissan has them.  No current Ford model has them.  So where are the more than 50% of new cars that have them?

Most BMW's, Mercede's or Audis do not have them.  Some very large models, such as certain S class variants, 7 series etc, have them, but they mitigate the risk in other ways with deployable bonnets etc.  They've gone from being increasingly common place in the 00's, to a relative rarity on new models now because they compromise the cars ability to get a decent NCAP pedestrian safety score.  And for that reason, some insurers don't like the mod.

I disagree with your comments re ‘no current ford model has them’. The Mk5 Mondeo has them for sure. I can’t commemt on what you say about safety and police ‘inside’ chat but if that’s what you say then that’s fine.

‘80% of all ‘facts’ on the internet are incorrect and have no researched backing’  Abraham Lincoln 

Hang on a minute, you are also saying that volvo and BMW and Mercedes are using shorter struts, so which is it? They either aren’t used now or they are used in a shorter more safety orientated fashion, and in my experience they are used a lot on larger ‘luxury’ models. Also, the ones being discussed here are short and light are they not? 

@Jethro_Tull

Quote:-     Volvo (apart from the XC60 and 90, which incorporate active pedestrian safety instead, and use very short struts)

FYI our 11 plate Volvo S40 has a single bonnet strut that is about 750mm from end to end when open.

That was an interesting read and I can sort of understand the point.

Unfortunately it seems to be a bit hit and miss across manufacturers as, as you say, some cars have them, some don't. 

Add mini clubman to the list :)

To be honest, I don't wish to widdle on what youve experienced as a police officer; quite the contrary (unless you we're/are THAT kind of police officer ;)) but as a logical human being, I would imagine that a stray gas strut, though pressurised and yes, perhaps dangerous if compromised structurally, must be far less dangerous in a collision than the tonne of metal attached to it?

It just seems like one of those things you could read about where something horribly tragic may have happened, granted, but then suffers a knee jerk reaction to ban whatever it was that was not overtly dangerous but actually caused what was likely to be a freak accident of mind-numbing odds.

Of course I am sure I would think very differently if I was on the receiving end of it...

On 09/02/2018 at 12:47 PM, Phil21185 said:

Check these out. https://www.darkicedesigns.com/en/ford-mondeo-parts/154-ford-mondeo-mk4-bonnet-gas-strut-kit.html

URL is wrong but page is right. £35 bargain. My order is placed :)

These look superb. Let me know how you get on...

40 minutes ago, Foceyesi said:

These look superb. Let me know how you get on...

Check my build thread! Click the sig or search Phil's Build Thread.

Funny - they were hot on replying to me when I was asking them questions and placing my order. Since I asked if they'd supply FOC with a discount code? Not a peep from Belinda.

And I'm guessing that at least 5 sets have sold on the strength of this thread..

Ah well.

59 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Check my build thread! Click the sig or search Phil's Build Thread.

Funny - they were hot on replying to me when I was asking them questions and placing my order. Since I asked if they'd supply FOC with a discount code? Not a peep from Belinda.

And I'm guessing that at least 5 sets have sold on the strength of this thread..

Ah well.

My bad😁

That look like a real good little mod. Simple to fit too. Right up my alley. 

Interesting how they've lost interest tho...

@Phil21185when you said something about the tubing maybe getting fouled by the new lifter, which tubing where you talking about? Was it the tube on the off side wing running next to the lifters when the bonnet is down?

Also, did anyone take the prop out of the engine bay? 

Concerning fouling of stuff on the offside.
The front washer pipe and heated nozzle (if fitted) wiring run over the black plastic panel on that corner.
Some lifter kit instructions advise moving the wiring & pipework under the plastic then cutting a V into the flap on the top for clearance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Watch this video, the pipe realignment is covered at time index 1.54 to 2.36.

• Like 2

Thanks Clive, that’s exactly what I did on mine. Popped the washer pipe and heated nozzle wire under the plastic trim and removed the prop. I’ve kept the prop in the boot under the carpet, if the struts fail it could prove to be handy. With the kit used in this link the strut is a little closer to the outside of the wing, I didn’t really need to cut the trim because it’s a flexible rubber where the struts touches. Thanks again, good video and the exhaust note at the beginning is music to my eyes!

• Like 1

I left the strut in mine to be honest and I haven't had any problems so far with the washer pipe. I'll need to check on it though and may move it anyway...

In my car the strut pushes on the pipe and is a little bit squeezed. I ma gonna put it like on the video below the plastic.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club