Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning / Detailing

Mavroz

Sorry if there is a section regarding this, but i cannot find much info.

What does everyone use to make their rubber window surrounds, the black plastic trims around the windows and doors and their tyres black again?

I know getting old white wax marks from trims is done with a pencil eraser so i am told... Does this work?

It is coming slowly but surely up to the good weather season again so time to re-black the above.

I have tried such as Meguairs Black restore for rubber trims and plastics but it doesn't seem much use. Have also tried the tyre paint/restore (not spray) that you apply with a brush that puts a kind or rubber skin over thembut it isn't great and like showrooms use.

Any thoughts or input appreciatred.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Sorry if there is a section regarding this, but i cannot find much info.

What does everyone use to make their rubber window surrounds, the black plastic trims around the windows and doors and their tyres black again?

I know getting old white wax marks from trims is done with a pencil eraser so i am told... Does this work?

It is coming slowly but surely up to the good weather season again so time to re-black the above.

I have tried such as Meguairs Black restore for rubber trims and plastics but it doesn't seem much use. Have also tried the tyre paint/restore (not spray) that you apply with a brush that puts a kind or rubber skin over thembut it isn't great and like showrooms use.

Any thoughts or input appreciatred.

Thank you.

I have Auto Finesse ‘Gloss’ Tyre Shine, works brilliantly on the tyres with the foam applicator they sell. I also use the tyre shine on the black trims, I know it’s not meant for it but it works really well if your black trims are in relatively good condition to start with.

All my detailing gear comes from Auto Finesse, never had a complaint about any of their products!

Trim wise I'd use Gtechniq C5 or Infinity wax rubber wax. 

Tyres I'm currently using KKD's tyre dressing I think 

Get yourself some samples from www.cleanyourride.uk 

kieran

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk 

I find the key to getting a product to work on the frankly crap Ford rubber window surrounds and any other black (non tyre) finish is to make sure they're completely free of anything before you apply your chosen product. Preparation is the key as it is to all detailing.

That's where a decent clean with Isopropyl Alcohol will work wonders. 

Gtechniq C1/5 is great for a semi permanent solution on rubbers, but Auto Finesse Revive does a great job too. I find Carpro P.E.R.L. a nice finish on tyres if you want a satin finish rather than the generic glossy one.

On my previous car when I waxed it and got dried wax on the plastic trims I tried out the pencil eraser and it did work. It does however take a little elbow grease. For tire dressing I use Meguiars endurance tire shine. Lasts for about 2 months. Trim wise could try out gtechniq trim restorer if your trims are faded. I used simoniz back to black bumper and trim restorer on my previous car and that made it look clean. The fiestas door strips are really faded so this doesn't help. I am planning on getting carpro PEARL which is designed for tire dressings and interior and exterior trims. 

Don't know if you can see the tire shine on my previous car. The paint was in a poor state as you can see the swirl marks. 

DSC_0005.JPG

Screenshot_20180118-201444.png

A few people I know have recommended carpro products also. It seems the plastic door trims, glass rubbers and tyres are the only parts that seem to let the finish on the car down. Will give carpro a go next big clean I think.

7 hours ago, Mavroz said:

A few people I know have recommended carpro products also. It seems the plastic door trims, glass rubbers and tyres are the only parts that seem to let the finish on the car down. Will give carpro a go next big clean I think.

Best thing with carpro Perl is that it's an all in one for tires, interior and exterior trims. Best thing aswell is that for trims you need to dilute it meaning your not using a lot of the product. For tires I think you need it neat concentration. Also when your cleaning the rubber door seals use a microfiber cloth and you'll see how much black dirt comes off. The dirt sticks to the rubber. 

Here's a review on it. Do recommend watching this guys videos as he's into detailing and I have bought products he recommended and have been happy with them

• Like 1

Sold to me, i have bought some of this but don't know whether to save it for a few weeks when it arrives until the weather starts to improve a bit.

Thanks guys.

12 hours ago, Mavroz said:

I use CarPro Reload as a quick detailer and it’s quality!

1 hour ago, MRG1402 said:

I use CarPro Reload as a quick detailer and it’s quality!

I recommend you try out Koch chemie fse. This is a finish spray which has lime scale remover in it helping to remove water spots and gives a nice clean wet glossy look to the paint. 

_20171114_201101.JPG

_20171120_113356.JPG

4 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Sold to me, i have bought some of this but don't know whether to save it for a few weeks when it arrives until the weather starts to improve a bit.

Thanks guys.

I like to clean my car if it doesn't rain for a couple of days as I know I can have a good look at it for a few days before the rain starts to make it dirty. Honestly thought it takes about 3 weeks to a month till it starts to look dirty. 

Can't fault auto glym up to now on the paintwork as per my avatar. Gives a stunning finish in the better weather.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Can't fault auto glym up to now on the paintwork as per my avatar. Gives a stunning finish in the better weather.

I have autoglym super resin polish and the sealant which goes with it. I don't think I'm going to use them as I have fusso coat soft 99 which is claimed to last 12 months and I've been looking at britemax black max as a glaze. Need to practice using a machine polisher so I can compound and polish the car. 

This video justifies the britemax 

• Like 1

Machine polishers have always bothered me as I was told if you create hot spots on the paintwork by pressing too hard or staying in the same spot too long it damages the paintwork.

Plus I guess and dust or dirt particles could do some damage under the polisher.

Machine polisher is by far the best method - but it's also easy to do damage with them as you say.  You want a DA (dual action) to reduce the risk of burning the paint but it's still well worth getting a scrap wing to practice on first.

• Like 1

Yeah good advice. I reckon that a lot of practice is needed before making a mess of a car...

A DA polisher I recommend compared to a rotary polisher. I've heard it's hard to burn the paint using a DA polisher. You put hardly any pressure on the panel just the weight of the machine is enough. I have menzerna medium cut polish along with their finish gloss. When you use a cutting compound or polish you may get holograms or swirl marks so you would then use the finish polish which will do very little cutting to remove those and add gloss. 

If I did a full detail I would:

Clean the car

Use fallout remover during cleaning 

Claybar

Machine polish to remove any micro scratches

Glaze to add a bit of depth to the paint

Wax to seal in the glaze

Probably might add a ceramic coat however I'd reapply one or both the glaze and wax every 6 months

Definitely though need practice using a machine polisher. I don't want to machine polish my car without practicing. 

Gummi Pflege for the window rubbers.

For me Gtechniq products for tyres and plastic's.  Auto Finesse isn't bad on plastic's but needs doing more often than Gtechniq's..

Had a clean on the car today and used the PERL which arrived earlier I  the week.

Early impressions are very good, like the fact it gives the plastics a non greasy shine and even better, overspill on the paintwork wipes off pretty easy compared to other products I have used.

Will see what the last ability is like.

Thanks for the advice.

Ps anyone have anything special for cleaning and drying the honeycomb grilles and valances front and back? 

All I have up to now is jabbing a finger around it with a cloth...

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Had a clean on the car today and used the PERL which arrived earlier I  the week.

Early impressions are very good, like the fact it gives the plastics a non greasy shine and even better, overspill on the paintwork wipes off pretty easy compared to other products I have used.

Will see what the last ability is like.

Thanks for the advice.

Ps anyone have anything special for cleaning and drying the honeycomb grilles and valances front and back? 

All I have up to now is jabbing a finger around it with a cloth...

You could use a little leaf blower to blow away the water droplets. Good to see feedback for Perl. Don't know when I'm going to get more cleaning products. 

• 1 year later...

I always try to look for different products every time when buying detailing gear, I'm sort of on a hunt for the best of the best. My most recent purchase was some of this chemical guys VRP dressing bought from the RAC shop over at https://www.racshop.co.uk/extreme-vrp-dressing2-vinyl-rubbertireplastic-restorer.html . Probably one of the better products I've used for dressing my tyres compared to a lot of other brands, gives a very full finish. however I understand it can be used on int. and ext. plastics too so maybe better to look for something specifically for tyres if that's what you're looking for. 

58 minutes ago, black_cat47 said:

I always try to look for different products every time when buying detailing gear, I'm sort of on a hunt for the best of the best. My most recent purchase was some of this chemical guys VRP dressing bought from the RAC shop over at https://www.racshop.co.uk/extreme-vrp-dressing2-vinyl-rubbertireplastic-restorer.html . Probably one of the better products I've used for dressing my tyres compared to a lot of other brands, gives a very full finish. however I understand it can be used on int. and ext. plastics too so maybe better to look for something specifically for tyres if that's what you're looking for. 

On my fiesta I used insta finish trim magic. Brought back the dark colour on the cheap plastic trims. Don't have pictures of it sadly on my new phone however I did apply it on my neighbours car and you can see the difference. 

Before and afterDSC_0007.thumb.JPG.c3727bbdc5362180d8aaa9a7e4350c46.JPGDSC_0012.thumb.JPG.ed422f10c1c76a4a03538505ad4046dd.JPG

Front bumper looked better 

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club