Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just over 12 Months, still some faults

DavesEdge

Hi All

As promised late last year, the latest on my Edge now is that after compiling my faults diary for the last few months, I am only suffering from the two (possibly three) problems as listed below.

I am now convinced that when car was in to have all faults sorted last time, Ford technicians must have done either a computer reset or update to the car.

NSR door is still hard for pasengers to shut once in car.

OSF seat belt warning pings still occasionally go off when driving down road, even though I am wearing seat belt.

Time to test the Sat Nav again...

I wonder how my sat nav is going to cope with my upcoming easter holiday this year.

It was a nightmare last year sending me down two way one track country lanes that were really too narrow with the vegetation on either side brushing against my car.

Judging by other members comments, I was not the only one to suffer this.

After my upcoming holiday, I am going to arrange for car to go in to have the above problems sorted (this will include sat nav if it plays up again).

I will post results once I know them.

I have been following a lot of the comments on here about conversion to Led headlights, but am unsure whether to go ahead at the moment, as reading on the American forums, the same debate appears to be going on. I may well do this mod once I make up my mind about which way to go with this.

Have been reading a few comments on American forums of tailgate windows exploding, not sure if this is down to the excessive cold spell that they have had, or a design fault itself.

Also I am still toying with the idea of changing my Sync 2 to Sync 3, am reading the American forums finding out their pro's and con's from doing this.

I suppose that I had better test out the autopark features to make sure that they all work before my three year warrenty runs out, just a case of trying to remember to do this when parking up.

Apart from all that I am still really enjoying my car.

Happy motoring to you all

Dave

1 hour ago, DavesEdge said:

It was a nightmare last year sending me down two way one track country lanes that were really too narrow with the vegetation on either side brushing against my car.

Judging by other members comments, I was not the only one to suffer this.

After my upcoming holiday, I am going to arrange for car to go in to have the above problems sorted (this will include sat nav if it plays up again).

Yes Yes Yes. That damn Sat Nav... God knows how it calculates but it sends you down narrow lanes even on Fastest Route (something tomtom never did). Up in Yorkshire was the worst sending you over deserted moors to Whitby were as Google Maps stuck to the main A roads.

This is Sync 3 too

Trouble with sat-nav its so out of date, my version is from 2014 how the hell on a 2017 car you get maps so far behind the times. Im  Sure i have read on the forums about updates on american cars but none for the uk yet.

I'm about to throw my toys out and write to Ford UK CEO about this useless sat nav. The map may be dated 2014 but is 6-7 years out of date IMO. Only yesterday, it couldn't recognise a road change which I know has been in place for 8 years. It had me driving up and down the road between two roundabouts, or it would have if I hadn't followed the road signs instead. Don't even get me started on entering the post code!!!!

If you have his contact detail can you let me have them and I'll add my tuppence worth on this subject.

I got fed all sorts of contradictory manure by Ford Technical, Ford Customer Services and the dealer.

Stuff like: 

• "Yes sir but that 2014 date is just the base map date and that never changes but the map does update in the background as long as you connect it to WiFi"
  • "I'm afraid a map update needs to be installed by the dealer"  (Sync 3!!!)

The fact that the map version is 4 14 indicates there at least 4 updates per year, which would seem to be the industry standard, certainly how tomtom do it. And, as the car was built in Dec 16 I'm fairly sure I at least paid for the 4 16 version.

See, you've got me started now :wallbash:

Sync 2 here (I've never experienced Sync 3 so I'm not missing that). Bought a Ford Sat Nav SD Card (F6) from eBay for  £38.99 late last year (car came with an F5 card when I bought it in March 2017). Card is 2017/2018 and seems to include most of the new housing estate roads around these parts which were only built in 2016, I'll just pop in a F7 card when they become available but not from Ford of course ;-)  

Mine's Sync 2. My card has GM5T-19H449-FA written on it, whatever that means. How do you know that yours is F6? Or have I misread mine and it's really GM5T-19H449-F4? Any link for your eBay supplier?

8 minutes ago, kelvin1950 said:

Mine's Sync 2. My card has GM5T-19H449-FA written on it, whatever that means. How do you know that yours is F6? Or have I misread mine and it's really GM5T-19H449-F4? Any link for your ebay supplier?

GM is an F5 card, F6 cards are HM5T-19H449-FA (also has F6 emblazoned in big letters on the card). Google HM5T-19H449-FA or see if this link https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/F5-Ford-Navigation-SD-Card-Sony-Sync2-Touchscreen-SAT-NAV/12003472898 works (or cut/paste into browser).

Cheers

Hmmm. Interesting as my local dealer was insistant that I had the latest maps and they only updated them every 3 years or so. They got quite sniffy when I told them to stop talking utter nonsense!

Ordered, thank you.

My car is connected to my home Wi-fi whenever I’m at home and to my knowledge in the last 13 months, it has NEVER updated the mapping in any way. The fact that sync 2 cars have SD cards makes them relatively easy to update, but sync 3 cars having built in maps that cannot be updated by SD cards seems to make them difficult to update at all. If only there was a button on the menu that said “check for updates” when it’s connected to Wi-fi, it would be simple. Alas, no. 

There has always been the option in Sync3 to connect to a home wifi network and one of the other options in there is to check for updates. Sadly, the update function has never worked in the UK. There has recently been a 'fix' from Ford to address this and numerous other 'issues'. The fix is very new and will be via USB in the first instance, this should make the wifi update work and subsequent updates will be available over wifi.

I don't know yet how to get the USB update, whether this is just a download or if the vehicle needs to be connected to IDS.

I'm hoping to get mine done next week so i'll post later.

The reason i'm doing this is so i can use the Waze Navigation app on an iPhone 7+ using Ford App-LInk. The Waze\Ford App-link needs Sync3 version 3.0 and most are on 2.0.

12 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

If only there was a button on the menu that said “check for updates” when it’s connected to Wi-fi, it would be simple. Alas, no. 

There is.  Under Settings/General Settings/Automatic System Updates there is a button marked Scan for updates now.

Doesn't make any difference, none ever found.

20180213_091001.thumb.jpg.06866b1a856a07c22866dad5f1472ae7.jpg

Same situation in the Netherlands.  When I emailed the Ford dealer where I bought the car ( ex demo ) 3 months ago , asking about

sync3 and map updates , never even got a reaction let alone a reply.  Then put the same question to Ford Nederland 3 times and 3 times

they refused to answer the direct question . When I asked if Ford has been knowingly selling cars with outdated map software , stoney silence was the loud reply.  Have put the question to the ANWB ( Dutch equivelent to the AA ) but not too hopeful of any result.

Don't know how we can put any more pressure on Ford - they just refuse to be drawn.

58 minutes ago, Jim610 said:

There is.  Under Settings/General Settings/Automatic System Updates there is a button marked Scan for updates now.

Doesn't make any difference, none ever found.

20180213_091001.thumb.jpg.06866b1a856a07c22866dad5f1472ae7.jpg

It says 'none are found' as the update bit doesn't work. The USB way, i think via IDS, will fix this.

H

8 hours ago, Safrane said:

Same situation in the Netherlands.  When I emailed the Ford dealer where I bought the car ( ex demo ) 3 months ago , asking about

sync3 and map updates , never even got a reaction let alone a reply.  Then put the same question to Ford Nederland 3 times and 3 times

they refused to answer the direct question . When I asked if Ford has been knowingly selling cars with outdated map software , stoney silence was the loud reply.  Have put the question to the ANWB ( Dutch equivelent to the AA ) but not too hopeful of any result.

Don't know how we can put any more pressure on Ford - they just refuse to be drawn.

You could try Auto Express magazine. Give them the basics and see if they fancy taking it up on your behalf with Ford.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, Hamster said:

The USB way, i think via IDS, will fix this.

Can you explain this a bit more, never heard about it?

There is a Sync 3 update planned. Maybe its not generally available yet. I'm led to believe that the vehicle needs to be connected to IDS which downloads an update. This is transferred to a USB stick and the USB stick is then used to update the vehicle as the update is very large.

Allegedly.........................................

H

On 12/02/2018 at 2:33 PM, Yetiman65 said:

GM is an F5 card, F6 cards are HM5T-19H449-FA (also has F6 emblazoned in big letters on the card). Google HM5T-19H449-FA or see if this link https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/F5-Ford-Navigation-SD-Card-Sony-Sync2-Touchscreen-SAT-NAV/12003472898 works (or cut/paste into browser).

Cheers

Brilliant recommendation mate, SD card arrived yesterday. Checked out newer roads nearby and they are on this updated map. 😀😀

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2018 at 2:33 PM, Yetiman65 said:

Cheers

Arrived today and, at first glance, seems to have pretty up to date maps. Thanks. Interesting that the car took about 5 minutes to realise it had a new SD card and to reboot Sync.

11 hours ago, Alienburt said:

Sorry - but what's IDS?

The Ford, laptop based diagnostic system.

IDS 'Integrated Diagnostic System'.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, Hamster said:

There is a Sync 3 update planned. Maybe its not generally available yet. I'm led to believe that the vehicle needs to be connected to IDS which downloads an update. This is transferred to a USB stick and the USB stick is then used to update the vehicle as the update is very large.

Allegedly.........................................

H

Hi Hamster + Anyone Else Interested

Where I have been reading the American Edge club forum posts, and some posts also on the Sync forum, the posts have been talking about having to use a Fat16 formatted Usb stick in order for their updates to install with some degree of success. So presumably would be the same over here in the Uk, as is basically the same system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all Usb sticks nowadays are Ntfs formatted.

Dave