Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta owner issues

ukoodj

Hi everyone,

I used to be quite a regular to the car forums when I owned 2 VW Golfs but since selling them and getting a company car life's been a little dull on the car front.

I bought a Ford Fiesta 65 plate 1.0 Ecoboost for the wife a year ago and to use myself sometimes and I think it's a lovely, easy car to drive with a surprising amount of power for such a small engine. Obviously the turbo is a great asset to these engines.

I just wanted to mention an issue I'm having and to see if it will be covered under the warranty that is due to run out shortly.

Engaging reverse is difficult, even for me and I have worked in a car dealership and driven all sorts of good and bad cars. I constantly have to either double clutch it or just force it in. The whole gear change procedure with 1st and second is generally stiff and feels like there is a lack of lubrication if anyone understands that description. If there is a known problem that's covered under warranty I'd obviously like to get it fixed now before it costs me money. 

Also a quick question....is the steering on these cars electronic? it feels false and like it isn't connected to the actual wheels lol

Any help advice will be good thanks

It's an old but reliable box unfortunately there is no synchromesh. But it should easily slip in if double declutched. If first and second are stiff it could be a fault. 

As far as I  know the assistance is electronic giving more assistance at low speeds and less at higher speeds 

thanks. The steering is just a characteristic of the car but the reverse and 1/2 gear change I'm concerned with. Why should you have to double clutch it on any car nowadays?

you shouldn't need to double declutch it just prevents the crunch as you engage reverse. another option is to be stationary for a couple of seconds before selecting reverse. 

first and second should engage easily otherwise there's a problem 

Hold the gear while engaging and it'll go in every time. 

As above - no synchro on reverse so unfortunately its a case of getting used to it. 

the power steering is electric. my understanding is that it is on the steering column up under the dash close to the steering lock / ignition switch.  Reading this forum regularly I have not noticed people saying there are problems with it. 

10 hours ago, ukoodj said:

thanks. The steering is just a characteristic of the car but the reverse and 1/2 gear change I'm concerned with. Why should you have to double clutch it on any car nowadays?

You say nowadays, but the 5 speed box design used on your Fiesta is about 20 years old. The Mk8 is the first time a new 6 speed box (ST excluded) has been fitted to a Fiesta.

It's just a characteristic of all 5 speed Fords, no synchro on reverse means you must be completely stationary and sometimes double declutch to help line it up.

My gear change was stiff occasionally, my mechanic said he had similar problems with the Mk6 Fiesta (assuming they are the same box) he reamed some bush out and I've never had an issue since with stiff gear changes.

In terms in the steering, it is an electronic system and I can honestly say I've never driven a car that handles so well and feels so connected to the road. Other cars i've driven with electronic steering feel so dull and unresponsive compared to the system in the Fiesta.

5 hours ago, Nick_T said:

My gear change was stiff occasionally, my mechanic said he had similar problems with the Mk6 Fiesta (assuming they are the same box) he reamed some bush out and I've never had an issue since with stiff gear changes.

Yep all the ib5 gearbox with no reverse syncro. I assume your mechanic is talking about the gear linkage bushes being worn/drying out when the engine warms up as this causes them to expand and tighten around the shaft. You usually widen the hole and stick the bush back in with a bit of grease and it should improve it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club