Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping to alloys (size help)

Rumblestrip

Hi guys. 

Had my focus titanium for nearly two weeks now and it has the bog standard 16” ford wheels on. I want to get some 17” alloys to fit mine but need to know what size tire I need to fit to compensate for th size difference as I imagine it would alter the cars speedo, fuel economy readings etc. 

Thanks. 

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

215/50/17 is the OE size for 17s.

Cheers mate 

im currently running 17 team dynamic pro race 3 on a mk2 facelift focus with 225/45/17 tyres and got no probs at all and think the speedo is out by about 2-3mph.

2 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

Hi guys. 

Had my focus titanium for nearly two weeks now and it has the bog standard 16” ford wheels on. I want to get some 17” alloys to fit mine but need to know what size tire I need to fit to compensate for th size difference as I imagine it would alter the cars speedo, fuel economy readings etc. 

Thanks. 

This may help 👍

also all Speedo are dispaying above actual speed by 5 kmph the same for speed cameras so if your doing 105kmph they read 100kmph although your Speedo says 105kmph plussizegraphic_2_L_zpsitbltiiv.jpg.3607ed027b0af85814710d11a0de70c9.jpgAAEAAQAAAAAAAALWAAAAJGJhMjZiMzNjLTE4MTUtNDhmYS05ZmMzLTk1NmFlYWU3MjY2MA_zpstyl1pnma.thumb.jpg.f30e647cc53c72d19599e6bfad160885.jpg

51 minutes ago, b4zz said:

im currently running 17 team dynamic pro race 3 on a mk2 facelift focus with 225/45/17 tyres and got no probs at all and think the speedo is out by about 2-3mph.

2-3mph is actually out by quite a bit. Ideally you would swap to 225/50/R17 to keep the speedo the same.

• Like 1

You can have the ABS recalibrated to the new wheel size to keep all the speed readings the same.  

I've done this on the mk3 with FoCCCus but you may need to have Ford do it on a mk3.5.  It only takes 5 minutes.

Speedos generally over read by about 10% as standard, so much bigger mph difference at 70 than 30.

2 hours ago, b4zz said:

Cheers b4zz. I forgot to say that my current tyres are 205/55 R16, so to move up to 17” alloys then this size would be the best fit. My local tyre place has the 225/45 17 for £45 fitted, Happy days! 

Just need the new wheel now! (Next payday)

31A96F0A-A02B-45A5-B241-C79E88AFA9D0.jpeg

Wait, I think I have 215 55 fitted to my 16's.

Shouldnt they be 205's?

I would love a set of 17s for mine.

There was a set in great condition but with no tyres for £100 a while ago on eBay and I'm kicking myself that I didn't get them...

I upped mines to 235/45 R17 more tire wall and wide turning cycle with no issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Shouldnt they be 205's?

There was a set in great condition but with no tyres for £100 a while ago on eBay and I'm kicking myself that I didn't get them...

Yeh 205 was Oem.

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Shouldnt they be 205's?

Mk3 has either 205/55 or 215/55 on 16s, most seem to be 215 from what I've seen.  205 tyres are much cheaper though, and as I'd just had a decent set fitted to the mk2, have swapped the wheels onto the mk3 and recalibrated the ABS module to the slightly smaller profile.

i thought mk3 was 215/55/16 and mk3.5 went to 205/55/16?

• Like 1

My MK3 is 205/55/16 which I think is standard on the 1.0 ecoboost engines and 215/55/16 on the rest. Pretty sure I remember that from the manual as did double check my sizes. 

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Shouldnt they be 205's?

There’s currently a set of ST Focus 17” on there for £110. Need a refurb though. 

Both 205-55-16 and 215-55-16 are correct sizes for the Focus MK3 with 16 Inch wheels. Which tyre size is installed has nothing to do with the engine type. Steel wheels did always have tyre size 205-55-16. Alloy wheels did either have tyre size 205-55-16 or 2015-55-16. Whether the car has tyre size 205-55-16 or 215-55-16 depends on the trim level in most European countries. 

When I bought my 1.0 ECOboost it did have the original (optional) factory fitted 215-55-16 Goodyear four-season tyres.

I think it's to do with emmisions for road tax brackets in the UK (pre 2017) as well. 

I know you can't spec certain wheels on low emmisions (cheap tax) models from the factory as it would increase the emissions into the next bracket.  You can buy the wheels separately and have them fitted after sale though lol.

3 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

There’s currently a set of ST Focus 17” on there for £110. Need a refurb though. 

If it's the same ones I've seen, they're 4 stud ones mate. Mk3s are 5.

I think I would only entertain the 20 spoke (10 pair) oem style.

Sorry but I don't think any low to mid range car looks right with aftermarket rims.

Yeah I know the 205 tyres were cheaper as I was looking for decent prices for 2 new fronts recently... Added around £45 per tyre depending on brand...

47 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

If it's the same ones I've seen, they're 4 stud ones mate. Mk3s are 5.

I think I would only entertain the 20 spoke (10 pair) oem style.

Sorry but I don't think any low to mid range car looks right with aftermarket rims.

Yeah I know the 205 tyres were cheaper as I was looking for decent prices for 2 new fronts recently... Added around £45 per tyre depending on brand...

You’re right, they’re only 4 stud. I never noticed, good job I didn’t go for them. I want something sportier on my focus, not keen on the “grandad” wheels it came with :)

Also, would any size tyre fit any alloy? I’ve seen wheels for sale that have had 205/xx tyres on but would they take a 245/xx?

7 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

Also, would any size tyre fit any alloy? I’ve seen wheels for sale that have had 205/xx tyres on but would they take a 245/xx?

This is what lists for optional size from 205 45 

Screenshot_2018-02-13-08-08-27.png

8 hours ago, Rumblestrip said:

alloys come in different depths.  Standard is 7" which is usually 205 or 215 tyres.  You're looking at 9" deep for 245 tyres...and they'd tramline like a bugger!

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Alloys come in different depths.  Standard is 7" which is usually 205 or 215 tyres.  You're looking at 9" deep for 245 tyres...and they'd tramline like a bugger!

Tramline?

Just now, Phil21185 said:

Tramline?

You know when you're in the slow lane on an old dual carriageway and the car keeps pulling left and right into the lorry ruts in the road?  That's tramlining.  It usually gets worse with wider tyres and/or a wider track.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club