Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powershift box and 1.0ecoboost Engine

Jonro2009

I’m considering getting a Mk7.5 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) with powershift transmission. I’m looking at anything 3yrs Old maximum in a Titanium X spec which seem to be like hens teeth via ford Direct. As I’m in North East Highlands dealership choice is not really an option unless I travel a couple of hundred miles. I want to buy from a dealer not private.

I have a 65plate fez but with a manual box and a Mk5 Mondeo 1.5ecoboost with a manual box. Both of these are going and I’m planning either a new model Ecosport Titanium X or a Hyundai Kona Premium SE. Plus a small economical 5 dr car with an auto box. That brings me to the Fiesta.

Is there anything I should be aware of before I buy one? Are there any common problems with the auto box, is it a good enough marriage with the 1.0 engine? I need an auto due to multiple back fractures so can’t compromise there but is there any other car with decent mpg, auto, 5dr with a spec matching the Tit X that I should consider? Free road tax is a major consideration so pre April 2017. I would use the car as a daily driver doing 30mile round trip to Work on ‘A’ roads. No motorways up here and few dual carriageways. Engine wise I have had 2 of the 100ps engines so know it well, it’s mainly the box I’m not sure of.

Hope there is enough info (and not too much) to get an idea of my needs.

TIA jon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should watch this 8 mins 40 sec in

Thank you for the video, it was very interesting and amusing in equal measures! It’s given me a quick insight which I needed. I had no idea about the box and what a ‘dual clutch’ box actually was. Very educational thanks.

I’ve actually just put a deposit down on a Focus 1.5Diesel with an powershit* box. Let’s hope I don’t live to regret it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Thank you for the video, it was very interesting and amusing in equal measures! It’s given me a quick insight which I needed. I had no idea about the box and what a ‘dual clutch’ box actually was. Very educational thanks.

I’ve actually just put a deposit down on a Focus 1.5Diesel with an powershit* box. Let’s hope I don’t live to regret it.

luckily as you are having a focus 1.5tdci, the powershit box on this varient (dct450) uses a wet clutch and doesnt suffer the same issues as the dct250

I have a Powershift 125PS variant 1.0 Ecoboost. It had TCM problems (and possible clutch related issues) but was fixed under warranty (TCM warranty is 5 years).  I run a Bluefin stage 1 tune with no problems.

You need to drive it differently from a conventional slush box (as shown in the video) or you will get jerkiness and surging at low speeds and in traffic. You can always use it manually (thumb switch on the shift mechanism) if you don’t like the auto mode. Once you learn the advantages and disadvantages it is fun. 

• Like 1

I picked it up today, I need to get used to driving it as I quickly found I was a bit ‘jerky’ at low speeds. I have the flappy paddles on the wheel which I might use for a while but when I did get it right it felt very good. I think I am going to enjoy it.

On 15/02/2018 at 12:29 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I have the flappy paddles on the wheel

Wish I had flappy paddles on my powershift, I had now idea you could even get them!

How are you finding it?

I have a 16plate powershift, had no issues with it yet. Would like to get a bit more oompf out of it but I need to look into it as I think it's more complicated than a manual.

12 hours ago, Hulari said:

Wish I had flappy paddles on my powershift, I had now idea you could even get them!

How are you finding it?

I have a 16plate powershift, had no issues with it yet. Would like to get a bit more oompf out of it but I need to look into it as I think it's more complicated than a manual.

I am enjoying it, I have only done about 40miles since getting the car so I’m still getting used to the box. I think I am going to like it though. I use the paddles a fair bit really, especially if I’m anticipating doing something the car isn’t prepared for

On 15/02/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I picked it up today, I need to get used to driving it as I quickly found I was a bit ‘jerky’ at low speeds. I have the flappy paddles on the wheel which I might use for a while but when I did get it right it felt very good. I think I am going to enjoy it.

What spec and year came with the flappy paddles?

On 18/02/2018 at 5:30 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

What spec and year came with the flappy paddles?

Sorry for the late reply. Mine is the ST Line 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2018 at 5:51 AM, Jonro2009 said:

Sorry for the late reply. Mine is the ST Line 🙂

Thanks. What year?

38 minutes ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Thanks. What year?

Sorry David, it’s a 2017 build. Touched lucky because it was registered on last day of March so it’s falls 24hours short of the new VED price changes 😁

I am pretty used to it now, getting high 40s when in comes to MPG and that jerky driving is a thing of the past. Today was the first time that I actually tried to change gear though lol.

I was talking to someone on here about using the paddles while you are in ‘D’ and then having to wait for the car to start changing again, instead of letting it bounce of the limiter lol can’t remember where/who it was now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the new one mk8 they ditched the powershift double clutch gearbox and put in the old type wet gearbox .

if you look in to the folder there is no powershift  there is only 6 speed automatic gearbox.

The auto in the mk8 is a proper auto box with torque converter

Do you have a link indicating the type of box in the Mk8 as if they have ditched a 'proper' powershift (DCT) box (which has now become available in the Transit) for an old fashioned slow torque converter jurkamatic my mum will have to stick with her VW..:mellow:

the auto box in mk8 is a 6f15. the transit uses the wet type dct450 which doesnt have the issues of the dry dct250. 

have you or your mum tried the mk8 auto before you condem it as a jurkamatic? 

@iantt did you say the box in my diesel focus 1.5 is the dct450 wet box? Should I be aware of any known problems? Happy to research it myself if there is something to learn, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction for now TIA

Yeh, the dct450 is ok, only thing to make sure you do s change the fluid and filter every 3 yes or 37.5k 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Yeh, the dct450 is ok, only thing to make sure you do s change the fluid and filter every 3 yes or 37.5k 

Thanks Ian, I’ll make sure I keep on top of that.

22 hours ago, iantt said:

the auto box in mk8 is a 6f15. the transit uses the wet type dct450 which doesnt have the issues of the dry dct250. 

have you or your mum tried the mk8 auto before you condem it as a jurkamatic? 

Yes we have driven one, if its a Torque Converter like you say its the quickest one I've experienced, but also has the feel of a DCT.  The paper catalogue together with two local dealers have advised its a DCT powershift box..

im asured it isnt a powershift. i had to drive one briefly this morning, i should have had a look before parking it up just to be certain. will check the next one i see. probably be tommorow at some point. 

ive just checked a used fiesta 2017 1.0 auto for sale and etis states this

Vehicle Line:Fiesta 2017 -Body Style:5 Door SaloonVersion:Series 50Engine:1.0L EcoBoost (100PS)Transmission:6 Speed Auto Trans 6F15Drive:RHD FWDAxle Ratio:3.15Emission:Euro 6 EmissionsAir Conditioning:Manual Electric Air ConditioningTerritory:(+)"GB"Paint:Moondust Silver (Metallic)Interior Fabric:Elow / Domo / Ebony

In the brochure for my Mk7.5 the auto is listed as Powershift.  In the Mk 8 brochure it just states Automatic.  Comparing the fuel consumption of the Mk 8 1.0 Ecoboost manual against the Automatic the auto is a lot less economical, but there is  little difference consumptions for the Mk7.5.    So I would guess they have reverted to a torque converter box.  Some years ago I had a drive in a 1.4 Fiesta torque converter auto gearbox and it was nice to drive, but you have to accept that it consumes more fuel. 

22 hours ago, iantt said:

im asured it isnt a powershift. i had to drive one briefly this morning, i should have had a look before parking it up just to be certain. will check the next one i see. probably be tommorow at some point. 

Been new to auto boxes, any obvious signs to look for to tell the difference when looking?