Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How low do you go before refuelling?

Dan_C

Stoney871 said it was illegal to reverse onto a public road.

It is not advisable to reverse onto a public road but it is certainly not illegal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was still illegal to reverse onto a carriage way. Many years ago someone reversed out of their drive into the side of the wife's rover 214 and refused to give their insurance details. She called the old bill and they said it was automatically the other persons fault for reversing out into the street as it is illegal.

A blind eye may be turned until there is an accident but I am sure it is illegal.

Sorry. The plot told the mrs it was in the highway code that you should reverse into a driveway where possible and pull out forwards onto the road.

He deemed it wasn't a difficult task or a hinderence for the other person to reverse onto their drive therefore deemed it they were at fault for not following the highway code.

That is what went into his report and eventually to the insurance companies.

The other person refused to give insurance details as they felt it wasn't their fault and they (according to the police) left the scene of an accident without exchanging insurance details which they should have felt lucky they weren't prosecuted for.

So her Indoors has just said....

Maybe what I should clarify on reversing..

Bear in mind I'm not a traffic spod.

It isn't illegal to reverse from a driveway (although the Higheay Code states you shouldn't) but it may be classified as driving without due care or dangerous driving in the case of a near miss of causing an RTC.

Reversing out of a car park or side road isn't illegal either but is strongly not advisable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Maybe what I should clarify on reversing..

Bear in mind I'm not a traffic spod.

It isn't illegal to reverse from a driveway (although the Higheay Code states you shouldn't) but it may be classified as driving without due care or dangerous driving in the case of a near miss of causing an RTC.

Reversing out of a car park or side road isn't illegal either but is strongly not advisable.

In a careless driving case, it is not at all unusual for the prosecution to quote the highway code.

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

• Like 1

Id say that where you get your fuel from would determine if your gonna need to change your filter sooner or later. Some petrol stations have rotten tanks.

• Like 2

I’ve had my mondeo diesel now for 7 years and always run the tank down as low as possible before refuelling. Never found any ‘crud’ in the fuel filters I’ve removed and cut open. I also only use Shell or bp diesel.

I’ve had one clogged filter and that was in the winter, presumably with the diesel waxing as on inspection there was no dirt in filter. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Do you always reverse into parking spaces as well?

Always ! 😁😁

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

Always ! 😁😁

+1

• Like 2

I tend to fill up at the weekend with 20-30L depending which office I'll be in for the week.  Occasionally it gets to the red but only if I've had to travel further than planned.

On 2/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, Jethro_Tull said:

Do you always reverse into parking spaces as well?

Me to. Also makes for a quicker get away. ;-)

Wait till the fuel light comes on then fill to the brim, never had a problem on any cars I’ve had. 

So after the light coming on at 75 miles, I ran it down to 13 (should've been 25 but they were unexpectedly closed the night before lol) and still could only get 45 litres into the 53 litre tank!  

IMG_20180220_140426514.thumb.jpg.a3b0e47d278e61c3c44baa5aab17f7f0.jpg

IMG_20180221_134147.thumb.jpg.e7d8fd08c7acc69560e7c21b26164302.jpg

The range has given me over 600 miles from this fill though, so hopefully it'll be a bit more accurate this time...

MPG was 53.8 when calculated manually for anyone interested.

~10L remaining for an 'empty' warning is fairly typical of other cars I've had in the past. 

5 hours ago, iantt said:

Isn't the MK3 55litres?

Just checked, it's 55 on most petrols, 53 on 1.6TDCi.

Screenshot_20180221-201014.png

11 minutes ago, iantt said:

how bizzare theres different sized tanks. 

Focus st needs a big tank so you're not filling up every 5mins, ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

how bizzare theres different sized tanks. 

I suspect there's only two tank sizes - 62L (for all 2 litre engines) and 55L (for everything else). The 60L and 53L are likely not different tanks, but rather the different available capacities resulting from the diesels having slightly different (bigger) pumps and/or other equipment inside them (possibly different filler necks?) compared to the petrol versions.

Just to chip in on fuel;

1.2 litre petrol, my driving Is mixed between boy racer and economical. It’s also mixed between motorway and town centre. I get a good 420 miles out of a 42l tank. That’s my week commute, so if I fill up on Sunday evening, I’m good until I get home Friday evening on fumes. Which is not bad economy In my opinion.

when I was doing a short commute, I’d be lucky to get 320 out a tank. Always have filled up with a Shell basic unleaded as I do find I get better MPG than supermarket.

12 hours ago, MJNewton said:

I suspect there's only two tank sizes - 62L (for all 2 litre engines) and 55L (for everything else). The 60L and 53L are likely not different tanks, but rather the different available capacities resulting from the diesels having slightly different (bigger) pumps and/or other equipment inside them (possibly different filler necks?) compared to the petrol versions.

The diesels don't have an in tank pump, hence the priming issues after filter changes.  So in theory that should give a little more capacity inside the fuel pickup tub lol.  But you're probably right, with them both being 2 litres less for the diesel it's probably something in the tank stopping it rather than a totally different tank.  2 litres is quite a lot though, that's a coke bottles worth...I can't see that getting lost in the filler neck either.

It's about the right size for an Eolys tank thinking about it.  I wonder if they've kept the tanks from the mk2 with a recess for the Eolys tank... :wacko:

EDIT - I've just checked.  Not the Mk2 tanks.  And the tanks on the 1.0 and 1.6D have different part numbers so must be different.  Weird!

Ah okay, the lack of a pump would you'd think push it the other way!

I note that the tanks have their capacities printed on a label and I did see a 55L one being sold as suitable for petrol and diesel models. That said, it also included the 2L as a compatible model so it may not be a reliable indicator. 

1 minute ago, MJNewton said:

Ah okay, the lack of a pump would you'd think push it the other way!

I note that the tanks have their capacities printed on a label and I did see a 55L one being sold as suitable for petrol and diesel models. That said, it also included the 2L as a compatible model so it may not be a reliable indicator. 

Pump would sit outside the tank afaik so it's volume added to the cars capacity.

im down to 5 miles left now, going to work and back tommorow(28miles round trip) will let you all know if i run out. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

610 miles to empty on my st Tdci

Jamie

11 hours ago, iantt said:

im down to 5 miles left now, going to work and back tommorow(28miles round trip) will let you all know if i run out. lol

Maximum I dared was 12 over the zero mark! I think 23 miles will be interesting... 

(I am sure it will be fine really).