Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How low do you go before refuelling?

Dan_C

12 hours ago, iantt said:

im down to 5 miles left now, going to work and back tomorrow (28miles round trip) will let you all know if i run out. lol

The only worry over doing that is if you have an emergency and have to go somewhere at 3am

I fill up when I go to Perth as fuel is 11p a litre cheaper there.

50 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

The only worry over doing that is if you have an emergency and have to go somewhere at 3am

Most petrol stations are still open at night.  A lot of people work nights lol.  Only thing is you often have to use pay at pump.

55 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Most petrol stations are still open at night.  A lot of people work nights lol.  Only thing is you often have to use pay at pump.

Lol it's the opposite where I am. You can press the button to pay at the shop during the day then they cover it up later in the evening and you have to go into the spar to pay.

2 hours ago, Tiexen said:

My old car belonged to my dad. I once mentioned the petrol light coming on and his response was "what petrol light?".  He used to fill up when the tank got to 1/4 for exactly this reason. 

55 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Lol it's the opposite where I am. You can press the button to pay at the shop during the day then they cover it up later in the evening and you have to go into the spar to pay.

Maybe there's less chance of the staff getting clubbed over the head for the cigs and till money where you are... :laugh: 

Though the latest round here is ramming shops and ripping out the ATMs with stolen land rovers...much more lucrative!

Reset trip to zero when it showed 0miles left and got to work ok. Lol

IMG_20180223_080645.jpg

IMG_20180223_082150.jpg

• Like 2

I didn't realise stop start operated below 0c?

70mpg at -4c is impressive though!! :biggrin:

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not round here

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't realise stop start operated below 0c?

70mpg at -4c is impressive though!! :biggrin:

Never thought of that, obviously it does.lol

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

Are you going to chance the drive home...?

Yep

• Like 1

and i did, 21miles so far . 

will keep going over the weekend and see how far i can go. 

• Like 2

I've given up at 52miles, off to petrol station shortly.

15194700054741035230497.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I've given up at 52miles, off to petrol station shortly.

15194700054741035230497.jpg

Lol I wouldn't risk that. I think manufacturers program the trip computer to say zero when releasticly you have about about 50 miles left. Just last week I got to 6 miles to empty and a normal £20 top up put it near enough to the same mark as if it said 30 miles to empty.  

I bet you still only get 50 litres in... :wink: 

Also gotta ask, did you carry a can of petrol with you on that trip just in case lol?

managed to get 53 litres in so i wasnt quite empty, did you seriously expect me to keep driving on empty  without a can in the boot!! lol

i may be daft but not that daft. ha ha 

• Like 5

I refuelled yesterday on 1/4 tank, didn't have the guts to run it to red esp in the current weather conditions and not knowing when I might need to use it for an emergency.

If I push I could probably get 300 miles out of a full tank though.

I was down to 30 miles range this evening as it was too tricky to get to my local Tesco garage over the last couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Think of all these poor people stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway and low on fuel so cant keep nice and warm with heater full blast with the weather and this bad snow.

You never know these days anything could happen.

• Like 1

Whenever severe winter weather is forecast I always brim the tank and refill at a 1/4 tank so I can keep warm. Last thing you want is to have to ration heat when stuck in a mega jam.

8 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Whenever severe winter weather is forecast I always brim the tank and refill at a 1/4 tank so I can keep warm. Last thing you want is to have to ration heat when stuck in a mega jam.

Around half or just under as i said no body knows when we have to pop out fast and what going to happen when we are out,better to be on the safe.

Them on some motorways/carriageways was stuck for hours even through the night,even worse for the older people 70+

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a thread revival...  My fuel light came on at 78 miles range again this time so decided to see how accurate it actually is.  Turns out, not accurate at all...  I've seen more accurate crystal balls than the fuel calculation system on the Mk3.  Not sure how they've made it worse as the Mk2 one was always pretty good, just 1mpg out either way and range was pretty close, with the light coming on at 50 miles, then a reminder at 25 miles.  

So anyway, the range kept jumping up and down but the fuel light never went off and the average MPG was showing 58.5 on this tank, should be an easy 600 miles to the tank if that's the case so I went with watching the miles instead and aiming for 600, even with the needle bent round the lower stop lol.  Was interested to find out the stop start still operates on 0 miles...which does make you wonder whether it'll start or not after...especially on a steep hill lol!  Did another ~20 miles with it on the 0...was expecting it to jump up again after 0 but it just stayed there...hmm...maybe it genuinely is low.  I did have diesel and a hand primer with me, and stayed off dual carriageways after the 0 just in case, but didn't drive any differently to normal.  Got to the fuel station on 596 miles...annoying but it did feel a bit rough so I decided to fill up rather than push on to do the other 4 miles.  Got just over 50 litres in...more than I was expecting...  Worked out the MPG properly and it was only 53.8mpg! :ohmy:  Oddly that's exactly what it was on the previous tank, but the trip computer showed 54mpg that time, so was less than 1mpg out that time, but over 5mpg out this time. :sad:  So can't trust the MPG calculation for the miles, cant trust the range for any sort of accuracy as it keeps jumping about, and cant trust the gauge as it did nearly 50 miles on the lower stop. :unsure:  Since filling up the range now thinks I've got 686 miles worth...ok then. :laugh:

Must admit, I'm pretty disappointed with those MPG figures as well...  With all the money and tech that went into making the mk3 lighter, more aerodynamic and more efficient it's currently doing the same (or slightly worse!) as I'd get from the Mk2 in this weather.

IMG_20180322_164637400.thumb.jpg.f8cad5e7a49ac165e3fe24c0fae57d56.jpg

IMG_20180323_141356468.thumb.jpg.038857d5fd19f2e46c2ea6e0538ed0d5.jpg

IMG_20180323_151159939.thumb.jpg.ce851c36825dda494f20397600ebd21e.jpg

IMG_20180323_153155366_HDR.thumb.jpg.57850cfee31a4e83822c598137a5e7ec.jpg

• Like 1

i get the same or better from my ecoboom! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 8:37 AM, Phil21185 said:

Interesting. 

Why is there a need to change fuel filters then? They must pick up something and at least in my case, changing it cured my problem...

Probably just so that the manufacturers can sell something.......?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club