Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 1.6 tdci timing belt change

Chris71192

I bought a 2011 zetec Ford Focus 1.6 tdci approx 7 months ago and is currently 7 years old. I’ve read that the timing belt needs changing every 7 years, is this correct? Or does it go on mileage? My car currently has 55,766 miles. In my previous car the timing belt went and it caused all sorts of problems after with big price tags so dont want to go through that again! Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

It goes on age and mileage - whichever first.  I haven't heard of 7 years for these though, was 100k or 10 years last I checked.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Chris71192 said:

Thanks Tom I’ll use that as my guidance! 👍🏻

Its 100k or 8 years,rang ford a few weeks ago as mine is close to 7 years,was 10 years but they changed it to 8 now,bit of a pain when your car only got 27k on it.

Its 100k or 8 years,rang ford a few weeks ago as mine is close to 7 years,was 10 years but they changed it to 8 now,bit of a pain when your car only got 27k on it.

but isnt your car petrol duratec?
on the 2011 focus 1.6 tdci before 08/11 the interval is 87.5k or 10 years. after 08/11 the interval is 112.5k or 10 yrs.

20 hours ago, iantt said:

on the 2011 focus 1.6 tdci before 08/11 the interval is 87.5k or 10 years. after 08/11 the interval is 112.5k or 10 yrs.

I thought it would still be the same as what ford told me that's its the rubber belt that deteriorates through age and strain on it.

Best to ring ford as i asked on here and got 10years first then 8 by a few others so rang and someone checked online ford and it was 8 years,i never look at milage

as i will never hit them miles.

different intervals depending on engine type .if only it was that simple all manufaturers/makes and  models having same intervals . 

On 15/02/2018 at 7:28 AM, iantt said:

When you say 08/11 does that mean August 2011? I see this on many sites but nothing ever explains it

On 2/16/2018 at 4:05 AM, jace1969 said:

I thought it would still be the same as what ford told me that's its the rubber belt that deteriorates through age and strain on it.

There is an upgraded belt used on some of the Ford diesel engines and the composition of it has changed, meaning that they will last different times.