Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO: SYNC2 --> SYNC3 upgrade

Bannko

Yes of course :) this one will also do its job.

I did swap , I load backup from sync 2 to sync 3 module , and now I have climate control option on screen but Navigation once you chose it get black screen and nothing happen

here is my code from sync 2 and sync 3 after sync 2 backupad loaded.

20180426_100611.jpg
 20180426_114753.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, this is a great thread...thank you.

Wanted to ask, does the aux in socket from the sync 2 usb hub still work if you upgrade to sync 3 but keep the old media hub?

Many thanks,

Dan

No, you need the Sync3 usb hub.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

@RevDan i think i wrote it somewhere at the beginning. You can keep the old hub only in case you use Android phone. The connection will work, only you get a warning message each time you start SYNC3 about the hub.

If you use Apple phone, you have to have this new HUB.

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

No, you need the Sync3 usb hub.

Thanks. Is that even if I don't mind the error message and don't want to use Apple Carplay?

Just checking how essential is it to switch media hubs as I can't find the sync 3 media hub for sale!

Thanks

It is always problem to find one. I bought mine new from my ford dealer. If you don't mind the error message you can freely use your old one. As i said Androids are fine.

But i cannot confirm you if the Apple phone in general will be recognized after connecting it. Or just the Apple Car Play will not work.

Tom

After a time i can also tell that the cheap Chinese GPS antenna is OK, but not that good so i might be looking for some original ford in the aerial base and try to connect it there.

I fancy moving up to sync 3 but I don’t want to risk doing this myself. 

Does anyone know of anywhere that would fit this for me for a fee? 

There is a seller on eBay selling a sync 3 unit for £750 and his listing says he will fit it for free if you pick it up and pay cash or bacs.

He is based in Halifax.

Have you got a link to the eBay seller? 

Halifax isn’t a million miles away from me. 

7 hours ago, ColW said:

There is a seller on eBay selling a sync 3 unit for £750 and his listing says he will fit it for free if you pick it up and pay cash or bacs.

He is based in Halifax.

750 come one so expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SYNC-III-DISPLAY-SCREEN-SAT-NAV-2016-2017-2018-GM5T-18B955-SB/362359176526?epid=28019380352&hash=item545e4a3d4e:g:vEEAAOSw8mpbKNk6

under 500 fiting its simple,programming if someone will help not bad as well .

The seller in Halifax is ilovetoselllotstoo this is the item https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sync-3-Nav-Focus-Kuga-Mondeo-Ranger-Edge-Mustang/223032646304?hash=item33edc81aa0%3Ag%3Ad4QAAOSwF21bMU43&_nkw=sync+3+nav&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR4.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsync+3.TRS0

It is expensive but the going price on eBay for a nav version is 600 or 500 for non nav. 

Sync 2 to 3 is just straight swap over though. It's when you are going from previous non sync when a bit of wiring comes into play.

• Like 1

sync 3 need config if you have sensors etc so its not that straight 🙂

• Like 1

Yeah but with an ELM and this forum it's fairly easy to sort out!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Thanks again for this great post and thread. I took the leap and found a Sync 3 unit for £450. (Advertised on eBay as £600 or best offer and they obviously wanted to sell).

The fitting went smoothly and at the same time I added a back-up camera to my system.

When I started the Sync 3 system up all was good, I've been using it for a few weeks and the navigation is great (except I got a cheaper aerial and it's not always accurate so will probably replace that)...however, it'd be worth doing the upgrade just for Android Auto, I very rarely use the on board nav as android auto is so easy to use,

Here's where my question comes (!)....

I didn't do the reconfiguration with forscan as I wanted to see what wasn't working on the sync 3 first.

Everything seems fine but I no longer get the parking sensors picture of the car up (and the new camera doesn't work yet but I figured that would need activating through forscan).

So, question is, should I be tweaking a few values in forscan to get these things working, if so where can I find the values to tweak (I have a Grand C-Max (15/16) or should I copy over the configuration saved from the sync 2 on forscan, (worried this would affect the built in sat nav as the sync 2 was a non-nav version).

Thanks for any advice!

That’s a good price. I’d make the jump for that price. 

3 minutes ago, Pebbleheed said:

That’s a good price. I’d make the jump for that price. 

Yes, I'm glad I did...I'm loving Sync 3...just trying to iron out the niggles!

There is a full hexcode spreadsheet available via the F150 forum online or here-
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=338817466
Some data is only US relevant but most will work on any Ford with Sync2 / Sync3.

The value you need to edit within the apim module is-

7D0-01-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx

Change the * for the correct variable and write to system-

[Reverse camera (8" screen only): 0=disabled, 2=enabled, A=enabled with obstacle detection.]

T

On 8/21/2018 at 5:36 PM, Stoney871 said:

The value you need to edit within the apim module is-

7D0-01-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx

Change the * for the correct variable and write to system-

[Reverse camera (8" screen only): 0=disabled, 2=enabled, A=enabled with obstacle detection.]

Thanks, really helpful. I'm also trying to reactivate the rear parking aid (picture of the car that shows how close things are!) I know i cant use that as well as a camera but befoew i sort the camera i want to get that back as it disappeared when I upgraded.

On the list you gave I would imagine this would either be Visual Park Aid (VPA) / HMI Display Type or Rear Parking Aid (RPA)

however, when I checked both of those already have the values set to enabled.

Is there something else it would be called?

Thanks again!

@RevDan i would maybe suggest the opposite way  🙂

Copy your SYNC2 settings into SYNC3 and then in addition just rewrite one setting so you will have your sat nav active, first two values must be 04image.png.268bc59887136731de44580de2837712.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Bannko Firstly, thank you for an awesome write up, you seem to have covered everything in great detail and I'm looking forward to upgrading my Sync 2 using your guide.

I'm looking at picking up the parts but wondered if you would kindly advise on part numbers, I have a couple of options to buy and wondering if they are both Sync 3 Nav versions and what the differences might be between them (i.e. if one is newer I should go for that one):

JM5T-14G370-GNC

HM5T-14G370-GNG

I assume any unit that has a manufacturing date on it of 2017 would be a Sync 3 by default?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club