Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO: SYNC2 --> SYNC3 upgrade

Bannko

On 8/23/2018 at 8:15 AM, Bannko said:

@RevDan i would maybe suggest the opposite way  🙂

Copy your SYNC2 settings into SYNC3 and then in addition just rewrite one setting so you will have your sat nav active, first two values must be 04image.png.268bc59887136731de44580de2837712.png

Thank you, that's what I should have done in the first place!

All working now, thanks again.

I do have one last question (yeah right!)

I now have my reverse camera working with green, yellow and red guidelines on it and the rear parking aid car picture in the top corner...however I read somewhere that the reverse camera guidelines can bend round to show where you're reversing to (presumably they go by where the wheel is being turned).

Anyone know how to enable this as I can't find an option in forscan? 

May not be something mine can do.

Thanks again for all the work you put into this, it made my upgrade so much easier!

7 hours ago, Olywa123 said:

@Bannko Firstly, thank you for an awesome write up, you seem to have covered everything in great detail and I'm looking forward to upgrading my Sync 2 using your guide.

I'm looking at picking up the parts but wondered if you would kindly advise on part numbers, I have a couple of options to buy and wondering if they are both Sync 3 Nav versions and what the differences might be between them (i.e. if one is newer I should go for that one):

JM5T-14G370-GNC

HM5T-14G370-GNG

I assume any unit that has a manufacturing date on it of 2017 would be a Sync 3 by default?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like they're both sync 3 units (based on the searches I just did). I would double check by asking the seller though just to cover yourself in case it turns out to be different.

Good luck with the upgrade!

Thank you @RevDan yeah after a bit more research it seems that the HM5T-14G370-GNG is definitely the Sync3 64GB Europe Nav version and I've just bagged the display and APIM for £350 shipped so I'll hopefully be fitting it next weekend. 

Great price!

Hope it goes well.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:36 PM, Stoney871 said:

The value you need to edit within the apim module is-

7D0-01-01 x*xx xxxx xxxx

Change the * for the correct variable and write to system-

[Reverse camera (8" screen only): 0=disabled, 2=enabled, A=enabled with obstacle detection.]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Thanks, really helpful. I'm also trying to reactivate the rear parking aid (picture of the car that shows how close things are!) I know i cant use that as well as a camera but befoew i sort the camera i want to get that back as it disappeared when I upgraded.

On the list you gave I would imagine this would either be Visual Park Aid (VPA) / HMI Display Type or Rear Parking Aid (RPA)

however, when I checked both of those already have the values set to enabled.

Is there something else it would be called?

Thanks again!

On 8/25/2018 at 11:41 AM, RevDan said:

I now have my reverse camera working with green, yellow and red guidelines on it and the rear parking aid car picture in the top corner...however I read somewhere that the reverse camera guidelines can bend round to show where you're reversing to (presumably they go by where the wheel is being turned).

Anyone know how to enable this as I can't find an option in forscan? 

This can be activated only in case you have retrofired the original Ford camera used for your Ford model. Or have you retrofitted an aftermarket cam?

@Olywa123 

Both part numbers you have provided are for the whole kit so APIM+display and from that it is not possible to tell if it is the nav or non nav version:) But good that you have already one confirmed.

Anyway the correct part number of the APIM that can tell us more is located somewhere on the side and the middle part of the part no. should be x-14G371-x 🙂

Thank you @Bannko the unit should arrive in 2 days so I guess I will find out then 🙂

@Bannko I did mine this weekend, I managed to brick the first unit I got after installing! It came with 2.2 software on it and I attempted to update it (downloaded an update from Ford for a similar spec VIN) and although it said it had successfully completed the update (and to remove the USB stick), when I restarted it I got nothing but a blank screen. Tried all sorts to get it going again, pulled the battery for 30mins, even removed the unit for a while and tried it again but nope, killed it. Very costly mistake!

Managed to grab another APIM cheap (5hr round trip to get it today) and re-used the screen from the dead one, it has 2.3 software on it, all installed and set up and working perfectly. Will add a new USB hub at some point but for now it's great and I don't plan on updating the software any time soon 😄 

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you again for the awesome guide, it helped me so much and I'm not sure I would have attempted it without your efforts. THANK YOU.

@RevDan Did you resolve your issues? I have a rear cam and front and rear sensors (with all the park assist features) and I get the little car symbol pop-up on my SYNC3 as I did with SYNC 2. I could maybe share my APIM config and you could compare?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I decided to do the USB hub yesterday and just wanted to share my efforts in case this is useful to anyone thinking of doing this upgrade.

The pigtails and adaptors from the USA (or the dealer) are expensive and would take some time to arrive so my own approach was to buy a complete centre console, with the harness still in place from eBay from a 2017 focus (you could also get one if you have a local scrap yard, just be sure it includes the correct hub). This cost me just £50 delivered and meant that I got the USB hub (HU5T-14F014-AB), the complete harness (F1ET-15K857-DVB) from which I could cut a 'pigtail' along with some spares for my centre console compartments (Drink sliders, rubber mats). 

The harness is a little tricky to remove from the underside of the console but I did this using some needle nose pliers and didn't worry too much about breaking any clips since I only wanted the power connector for the USB hub and would not be replacing the whole harness.

20180830_142816.thumb.jpg.3f930809ee06040c0c89db796eb53878.jpg

20180830_142930.thumb.jpg.57075d3ac6dcbf8ad90370dfa8384b52.jpg

Removing the back cover of the console behind the armrest was easy thanks to the instructions in the first post and made for easy removal of the existing media hub and wiring up the new one. The existing 10-PIN Power connector in the guide on the front page (and others guides across the internet), did not match my 2015 Focus which has a different 8-PIN connector. Pins to be wired to the pigtail were 1 and 8 (Brown with stripe and Purple with Stripe) They are numbered on the red part of the connector.

20180902_135929.thumb.jpg.6dc78d5aba8e8a23be1836064d88a4f9.jpg

20180902_140025.thumb.jpg.4e6a7121d6bdd39aa1eca66954c27944.jpg

20180902_135942.thumb.jpg.01a0141318db671b268b5df0e0128b9d.jpg

Make sure to strip back plenty of the insulation before cutting the pigtail from the harness that came with the used centre console, you ideally want about 20cm of cable to work with, doing this gave me this pigtail

20180902_170831.thumb.jpg.395784a94f4bb1e87b40963c5877e023.jpg

The colours on this used harness matched the existing wiring in my 2015 UK focus so it was just a case of wiring brown to brown and purple to purple. For this I just used some WAGO clip connectors which I already had and hold very strongly and made for quick and solid connection.

I taped off the two cut wires on the old connector with some white electrical tape (individually to terminate and then the lot together). 

20180902_171356.thumb.jpg.44018230f45c46d28dab80712bce9839.jpg

I may go back and solder at some point in the future but I don't expect any issues with the WAGO connectors having used them a lot in the past.

Now, everything is working as it should and that's me done with this upgrade, SYNC 3 is so much faster, my 2015 Focus is happy and having Android Auto on the big screen was worth all the work (not to mention ditching the clunky Sync 2 system) 🙂

20180902_151405.thumb.jpg.bacda9dd8467db459db85621da5e0ddc.jpg

20180902_151302.thumb.jpg.7c2ee674db48753428fef0edef94a6f9.jpg

20180902_151318.thumb.jpg.59da58e28263acec1fd09746db10f0fc.jpg

20180831_202618.thumb.jpg.90ec618db09071af892816242c0b0c06.jpg

• Thanks 1

Last post, reprogramming the APIM module was probably the trickiest part of all this. Trying to track down the right codes for my spec, etc.

If your APIM is incorrectly programmed it can result in DTC errors being logged for the APIM (something about incorrect configuration). If you clear these they will just come back until you fix your code (and you could end up with your dealer charging you to investigate/fix them the next time you go in for a service).

Do the leg work, understand how forscan works and how to correctly program your APIM module for your model and your own spec. Use the info provided by the OP on the first post, watch the vids, read, invest the time! I can't stress this enough. Understand both how to program the codes and read/clear DTC errors.

My car has a rear cam, front and rear sensors and the full park aid features (Parallel, Perpendicular, Park-Out) and it was finding the codes and programming these to work correctly that took time. I have added my codes below (FOR A 1.5 ECOBOOST FORD FOCUS 2015 TITANIUM X), I would not suggest you copy these but it may prove useful to someone trying to troubleshoot to get these features working correctly with the SYNC 3. Always do back-ups of your asbuilt module config before changing anything. Always re-check your DTCs after applying new code to the module.

7D0-0101     0B68 65DA 901B 
7D0-0102     02BE 1500 02B1 
 --
7D0-0201     554B 0106 40C1 
7D0-0202     0308 0000 00E6 
7D0-0203     0005 E1  
--
7D0-0301     0000 0100 00DC 

--
7D0-0401     0100 1A01 02FA 
7D0-0402     0007 E4  
 --
7D0-0501     17E8 1798 28B3 

Rather than loading back my asbuilt back-up from the SYNC 2 unit (which gave me incomplete features and/or DTCs due to code changes needed between SYNC 2 & 3), what worked for me in the end (and as mentioned elsewhere on the web) was finding a 2017+ car for sale that has the exact same spec as my 2015 but includes a SYNC 3, this was the easiest way to obtain correct SYNC 3 asbuilt codes for the APIM.

Search for a similar car for sale on the web (i.e. autotrader/motors.co.uk/RAC or AA used car sites), use the description and the pics to verify spec & SYNC 3 (many say SYNC 2 in the description but the pics clearly show the car has SYNC 3), enter the reg from that car into ETIS vehicle lookup to get the VIN and then run that VIN through https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt to get a list of the asbuilt codes for the APIM (7D0-XX-XX). 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Im aware this is an old post now, but im just about to take the plunge and replace my crappy Sync 2 system for a Sync 3, but also want the USB hub for Apple CarPlay which i have purchased.

My biggest problem is identifying a UK part for the wiring harness for the new USB hub, which is listed in the OP as HU7J-14293 as per the photo.

17568b1a0017a7f5med.jpg

The only place i can see this harness is from 4DTech.com in America, which for almost £60.00 with shipping seems a little excessive.

My question is, there must be a UK seller / part instead of taking the plunge on this item from America? I asked Ford Parts UK for a price using the part numbers i had, and they quoted £215!!!! 

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Dan

• 1 month later...

hi I got this lead from china seems ok eBay no

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry to dig this up from the past... I’m looking to do the conversion to Sync3 only my 2016 (65plate) focus st. I’ve been browsing eBay and come across a sync 3 unit from a Kuga (item id 263991273622) does anyone know if this will work with the mk3.5 focus. I know I’ll need to swap the actual fixing brackets.

thanks in advance, Ash

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the Guide, I upgraded my C-Max from a Sync2 to a Sync3 screen/APIM which went very well. The unit I have installed is currently running software version 2.3

Any advice on updating the Sync3 software to a more recent version. I was intending to use the VIN from the donor car and use that on the ford website to download the latest update but reading a few posts above it seems that this has method bricked the APIM.

So has anyone updated the software or maps after doing the upgrade or have you all just left it alone after a successful install?

I have just upgraded from Sync 1 > Sync 3 then upgraded from software version 2.3 > 3 and then maps to F8 no probs except the speed of the Ford web site!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Did you upgrade it using the original APIM VIN on the ford site or did you use a VIN from a similar vehicle like the chap who posted earlier in this thread?

If it worked using the original VIN I may do the same, otherwise I'm tempted to leave it alone as it seems to be working quite well as is

Boys, don't think that Ford website will provide you always an error free installation. 

Even the latest map update was not good and you had to in addition edit the .lst file

In general if you know what are you installing and how to edit the lst file it totally doesn't matter from where you have the update from. 

• Like 1

First of all thanks for this great topic. Yesterday I did the upgrade from Sync2 to Sync3 and everything went very well with no issues 🙂

Now I want to update the Sync 3 software (the current version is the 2.2) but I don't know the VIN of the vehicle from where the Sync 3 unit were pulled of (I bought the unit from eBay). Without the VIN how can I download the latest update? I was not able to find information about this anywhere.

The Sync 3 unit is the: HM5T-14G370-GNG 

There are German or Russian Ford forums where you can find the update packages. Just try to Google the specific version you need and you should be able to find it 🙂

6 hours ago, davidjfafonso said:

First of all thanks for this great topic. Yesterday I did the upgrade from Sync2 to Sync3 and everything went very well with no issues 🙂

Now I want to update the Sync 3 software (the current version is the 2.2) but I don't know the VIN of the vehicle from where the Sync 3 unit were pulled of (I bought the unit from eBay). Without the VIN how can I download the latest update? I was not able to find information about this anywhere.

how much did you pay ?

17 hours ago, mastachaz said:

how much did you pay ?

£320 for the screen/APIM inc delivery. I also hope to see some money back when I sell the Sync2 parts. I have not upgraded the USB hub yet as everything works and I get no error message. Neither myself or my wife have iPhones so it's not a big deal at the moment

On 7/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, davidjfafonso said:

Contact the eBay seller, they may be able to provide the VIN or Reg number. That's what I have done.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, Bannko said:

Boys, don't think that Ford website will provide you always an error free installation. 

Even the latest map update was not good and you had to in addition edit the .lst file

In general if you know what are you installing and how to edit the lst file it totally doesn't matter from where you have the update from. 

Thanks for the caution. I'm fairly proficient with most software (Linux Engineer by trade) but sadly I have almost zero experience with QNX. After reading an earlier comment about bricking the APIM I was hoping to further my understanding of what went wrong for that user so I would not follow in his pricey steps.

Thanks for the guide. I spent an age trying to get the APIM working correctly with my car before it dawned on me I should try the config from my sync2 unit. If I had found this guide earlier it would have saved me hours of tinkering with forscan 🙂

That’s turbo cheap. All I’ve seen are around £500+!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, mastachaz said:

how much did you pay ?

450,00 £

5 hours ago, gotford said:

Contact the eBay seller, they may be able to provide the VIN or Reg number. That's what I have done.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that !

I got one for sale with navigation if anyone its interested

Updating from 2.3 went without issue but has not resolved the problem which inspired me to perform the update.

My Sync3 screen seems ungodly bright and has no respect for either the ambient light sensor or any adjustment made to the instrument brightness dial. Initially I figured this was a side effect from changing the unit from Sync2 to Sync3 but a good bit of google-fu shows that many people have this issue on unmodified cars.

I was hoping this had been rectified in a software update as I could find no recent complaints of the problem but alas it still exists for me.

It would be nice if ford published some more comprehensive changelogs for their updates.

Anyways for now I think I will have to stick with using the screen in "night" mode as the brightness setting seems to be less intrusive this way.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club