Is this still available? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samevansinworthi said:

Hi @mastachaz,

Is this still available? 

Yes mate 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question alert!

I have just upgraded to SYNC 3, thank you so much @mastachaz. It was very easy compared to how I had dreaded it! I have one issue remaining, the new USB Hub. I have ordered a replacement hub and adapter loom from eBay. I have connected the loom to the hub and the connector that goes into the existing power connector is a little big, but fits. There is no power to the hub though..

So in true fault-finding mode, I thought I would see if it is the hub or the loom connection. If I was to splice the wires etc, I would have to do it when the existing power connector is in place as I have a Mk 3 Facelift and the cables are already in place. Clearly there would be voltage going through it when switched on, but is there when switched off? I guess what I am trying to say is, If got in and didn't switch the ignition on, could I cut of the connector and splice to the existing loom? Would I need to disconnect the battery or is it safe to work on in situ? Then try the the hub to see if the new one is duff or do I go to Ford and buy a new hub as that's more likely the problem?

Advice please? Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

hi, all I'm new around here I just got a 2016 st3 with sync2 and was looking to upgrade to sync3. but all of the screens and apim's I've seen on eBay and other places are for different modals "Kuga", "explorer", Mondeo" ext are they all the same just with different brackets. please help thanks Jack.

9 hours ago, Jack C said:

hi, all I'm new around here I just got a 2016 st3 with sync2 and was looking to upgrade to sync3. but all of the screens and apim's I've seen on eBay and other places are for different modals "Kuga", "explorer", Mondeo" ext are they all the same just with different brackets. please help thanks Jack.

I believe they are yes just different brackets. 

@samevansinworthi i have not played there with wire splinting but in general it is always recommended to disconnect the battery first 🙂 . But i guess you already solved the issue?

@Jack C hi jack is just the brackets. Of course when you buy it from different model then Focus it requires a little bit more effort to configure it correctly. 

And i do not recommend to buy a US nav unit, as it has smaller disk space and you will have problems in the future to load there EU nav maps.

• Like 1

Thanks Banko! Managed to sort it without disconnecting. All installed and updated and better than Sync 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Bannko said:

@samevansinworthi i have not played there with wire splinting but in general it is always recommended to disconnect the battery first 🙂 . But i guess you already solved the issue?

@Jack C hi jack is just the brackets. Of course when you buy it from different model then Focus it requires a little bit more effort to configure it correctly. 

And i do not recommend to buy a US nav unit, as it has smaller disk space and you will have problems in the future to load there EU nav maps.

Ok thanks for the help bannko and tommo17

Looks good mate, serial seems to match up for a sync 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a thread revival here. 

Just done this, everything is working except obstacle detection, it didn’t do anything before so I added A to the 7D0-01-01 line. 

Now the picture of the car comes up, I can here the sensors beeping but there’s no red/orange/green blocks around the little car to  show how close am to something. And which sensor is beeping at me.

any thought?

thsnk you. 

Matt

Hi Matt, 

I have somewhere a huge list of Forscan values for the APIM Sync3 and all the settings. On Monday i will be back from holyday and i will try to find it and attach it here. It will maybe help you to set it up correctly. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bannko said:

Hi Matt, 

I have somewhere a huge list of Forscan values for the APIM Sync3 and all the settings. On Monday i will be back from holyday and i will try to find it and attach it here. It will maybe help you to set it up correctly. 

Tom

That would be great. 

I did backup my sync2 settings but forscan chucks up an error when loading them into sync3. 

Great guide btw. 

Thanks

matt

9 hours ago, Bannko said:

@matt77303 Hi Matt, in the attachment is the file with Forscan list of changes for SYNC3 APIM

FORScan 2015-2018 - APIM (Sync3).pdf 60.9 kB · 4 downloads

Thanks for that. 

Saved for future reference. I can’t see any reason why this isn’t working. 

From what I read today it doesn’t like it if there are DTC on the car. 

I have one that I can’t shift. 

0de86785-eed2-4932-aec3-4f28e1009beb-ori

any ideas?

matt

• 1 month later...

Hi All
great post, been searching for a decent set of instructions for my S-Max. one quick question, i have the Donor VIN number but at what stage will i need that as thats not mentioned.

1 minute ago, tyler1983 said:

Hi All
great post, been searching for a decent set of instructions for my S-Max. one quick question, i have the Donor VIN number but at what stage will i need that as thats not mentioned.

Use it for checking for map updates on the ford website, not needed for the actual install.

Matt

• 4 months later...

Hello and mounted a sync 3 on my ford, but when loading the file from sync 2 to sync 3 it fails to open it.
Sync 3 is in version 2.2 and when you put the VIN on the official Ford site, it says that it is already updated.
Help, thanks.

@Trivi RS You have to be more specific. What file are you loading to SYNC3 and how? And secondly to the updates, what VIN are you putting there, your own? 

@Bannko Thanks again. i've been having issues in updating maps since my upgrade. well more to the point registering the software update on the ford website to enable new map downloads.

I use the donner VIN to get the correct software update etc but the file the car chucks back on the USB so i can register the update on the website puts in the my actual VIN so it never registers the update to the donner VIN. I tried opening the file in a TXT editor and changing the VIN manually but it didn't work. im hoping its something very simple but i cant figure out how to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a full Sync 3 system via eBay from a seller in Romania. I have fitted it and everything is working apart from the DAB Radio. I’ve had the new system updated via a Ford dealer but he said that the system hasn’t got the DAB Radio available. My previous Sync 2 did have DAB. I was wondering whether the DAB element is in the APIM screen or the Radio/CD. If it is in the Radio/CD could I reinstall the old Radio and then have the Ford dealer check again to add the DAB to the interface?

• 5 weeks later...

Firstly, thank you for such a detailed guide in this thread.  I have a question about updates if you do not have the VIN of the donor car.

How does the Ford UK Sync update site work? 

If I find a similar spec car to mine (rear camera, rear parking sensors, no parking aids) can I use the VIN of that car and apply the download to my car?  

Are the updates from the Ford Sync site dynamically built so that it provides just the right install options dependent on the VIN provided?

Looking on the official update site with the hijacked VIN it says that a software update is available, 2.8GB.
I am assuming I can only apply this if it is later than my current version?

Is there a breakdown of what is contained within the 2.8GB update, files with version numbers etc?

I know that my APIM module is v3.0 19205, so would only want to apply later updates else fear of bricking the APIM unit.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, tyler1983 said:

@Bannko Thanks again. i've been having issues in updating maps since my upgrade. well more to the point registering the software update on the ford website to enable new map downloads.

I use the donner VIN to get the correct software update etc but the file the car chucks back on the USB so i can register the update on the website puts in the my actual VIN so it never registers the update to the donner VIN. I tried opening the file in a TXT editor and changing the VIN manually but it didn't work. im hoping its something very simple but i cant figure out how to do it.

I would think that the Ford site does a sanity check on the file when you upload it.

If the VIN in the file matches a VIN that the Ford database says Sync 3 is installed on, it will accept it.  (This may potentially remove the option of the VIN donor getting the update if you perform it before they do!)

If your VIN is in the file, the Ford site will lookup on that, see that there is no database match on Sync 3 and reject the file.

With maps is it not just a case of getting the update files (from anywhere?) and applying them to your vehicle, the actual registering of this process doesn't matter so long as the update to the car works?

@Pazza8899 did you changed also the ACM radio wiht the upgrade or only the SYNC3 itself? The DAB option lies in the APIM and the seller must have forgot to enable it there for you most likely. 

@tyler1983 @GreyBeard To  be honest i never used my donor VIN no. I am updating always from the links that i search on foreign RU or DE forums. But what i have observed....the Ford servers have somehow recognized/learned that i have upgraded to SYNC3. I was checking online for an update on a regular basis directly in Sync3 when i was in my car and also after each update that i did, i just used the generated XML with my VIN no. and uploaded it to the Ford website. I just checked now and when i enter my real VIN it gives me an update file for version 3.0.19205. I don't know actually what is the latest SW version for SYNC3 v3.0 because

in Feb 2019 i upgraded my SYNC3 with the new gen. APIM from Focus MK4 (wanted to have the new graphical look, the possibility to change the color themes, radio logos and using the new v3.4 updates) and since then i was still uploading the XML to the Ford servers but they never learned that i changed to a MK4 SYNC3 and never propose me an update for v3.2 or 3.3 or 3.4. 

That is interesting!  Perhaps as your car could have Sync3 fitted now that the spec' and parameters of the updated xml match, the Ford server now accepts it.

The mk3 ST never got Sync3 officially so I suspect this won't be the case for me but will be interesting to see.  Hopefully I'll have all the bits by the weekend so I can start the install.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club