Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO: SYNC2 --> SYNC3 upgrade

Bannko

My car is a 2015 Titanium that came also with SYNC2 and also never officially supported with SYNC3 upgrade. Only RS has this option. But you see they somehow recognized it.

6 hours ago, Bannko said:

My car is a 2015 Titanium that came also with SYNC2 and also never officially supported with SYNC3 upgrade. Only RS has this option. But you see they somehow recognized it.

After you installed the Sync 3 unit did you take it to a dealership to have work done on it? 
Before they run the tool to say perform a software update they read anything fitted on the car and overwrite the records. 
Maybe you connected the sync unit to your WiFi which would update the database Also? 

In my guide i have mentioned some kind of official license key that needs to be applied to the Ford ETIS...but to be hones i never used it.

I went to the dealership showed them what i have done and showed them the license key for SYNC3 upgrade and first thing was that they had no idea what i was talking about. And in Ford ETIS they have not seen this option to my car to like manually edit the SYNC3 upgrade and enter the license key. 

I did this upgrade in 2017...and Ford website started to give me the official SYNC3 updates much much later maybe at the end of 2018...but then i upgraded the APIM from Focus MK4 so again it was useless for me 😄 haha

So as i said i was always doing parallel two things...checking update directly in SYNC3 connected to WiFi and uploading the xml file with my real VIN after each update. Hard to tell what of those options did the trick so the servers learned that i have SYNC3. 

Ahh ok fair doos. 
Yeh one of those methods should have updated the server records. 
the license key allows access to the modded configuration and can only be used on RS models and won’t allow the dealer to do anything if it isn’t. 
ford released it for Edge as well. 

• Like 1

Hi thinking of taking the jump from sync 2 to sync 3 found good price screen apim CD player usb hub I know I need gps aerial and the wires for the arm rest hub are all the other wires going to be the same system comes from focus 2017 and going in to focus 64 reg thanks 

Hi Zak, you don't need the armrest wires. just the hub 😉 and 64 reg focus isn't pfl? 

Hi bannko all the bits I read is the wire is needed for armrest hub some thing like below 

27F95D0F-2735-46F1-A38E-8292CEFFC10C.jpeg

Thanks bannko being new to all this any thing else I should be aware of do I need to change CD player over or is one already in car ok thanks 

You can keep the head unit / CD player. It is just the screen and APIM that form the Sync 3 unit that needs to be changed up front.

The list of items you need is in the 1st post

• 2 weeks later...

I got this done over the last weekend, feels like I should have done it years ago! Many thanks for the information and to all the posters here, it's a great resource.

If you are going to do it, read everything first and watch the videos.  The extra tips from Bannko were invaluable, some parts of the dash I would have broken if not for his extended instructions.

However, I do have a few followup questions

1. Although I had Forscan installed and and backed up my old Sync 2 settings, the new APIM just worked after I installed it.  It was supposedly taken from a RS with the same NAV and rear camera / sensors as my vehicle from what I can tell.  If it appears to all work, is there anything I need to do?
  2. I read about the climate page not working, there is no climate page for me?  (I'm assuming as above it is already disabled)  The bottom bar reads Audio, Phone, Navigation, Mobile Apps, Settings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreyBeard said:

I got this done over the last weekend, feels like I should have done it years ago! Many thanks for the information and to all the posters here, it's a great resource.

If you are going to do it, read everything first and watch the videos.  The extra tips from Bannko were invaluable, some parts of the dash I would have broken if not for his extended instructions.

However, I do have a few followup questions

1. Although I had Forscan installed and and backed up my old Sync 2 settings, the new APIM just worked after I installed it.  It was supposedly taken from a RS with the same NAV and rear camera / sensors as my vehicle from what I can tell.  If it appears to all work, is there anything I need to do?
  2. I read about the climate page not working, there is no climate page for me?  (I'm assuming as above it is already disabled)  The bottom bar reads Audio, Phone, Navigation, Mobile Apps, Settings.

1.  If it works it works, modifying the as built data is really only needed if it comes out of a different spec car.

2. Can be enabled with forscan. However the temperature buttons are the wrong way round when enabled.

Matt

If the donor car had the same specs than it is just big plus for you and really you won't need to do anything. At least if you do reverse and you see the car's picture - you should probably see a shorter car pictured because it is a hatchback...there is a separate option to make it look like wagon in your case - but that is just cosmetic thing 🙂

And the Climate was factory disabled for Focus in SYNC3, so if you want it there you would have to enable it. Works fine for LHD vehicles but as Matt said, in RHD they are wrong way round.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've found a sync 3 system but its screen is scratched. Can I remove it's apim and attach to my original sync 2 screen?

Thanks

I know this is a common question but just wondering if this apim is the sat nav version?

Cheers728906397_Screenshot_20200615-211320_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.27b81b977aa1381f4b4d1dc65938c105.jpg

Ok, bought the unit for 280, all fitted and great! However gps antenna causes nav problem as it's slow to pick up gps. 2 questions:

Does a sync 3, mk 4 apim bolt directly onto a mk3 screen and work? I see banko updated the apim!

2 can a mk 4 antenna bolt directly onto a mk 3 to provide a shark fin antenna with built in gps?

Where have you placed your antenna?

Matt

• 1 month later...

hey,

great guide - cant believe ford quoted me £2k to do this!

Im looking to be brave and do it, just a quick q will this one be ok - going into a 15 plate focus. (think its sat nav)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-FORD-FOCUS-Mk3-Radio-Display-HM5T-14G370-GNG-051-GENUINE-PART/324051869593

also having trouble finding the usb hub - any recommendations? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank Bannko for this thread - I did the upgrade today and it all works perfectly. I was dreading pulling the dash apart but even that was pretty straightforward. My car is a 2016 Focus 1.5 Ecoboost Zetec S, and I think the SYNC 3 unit came from a 2017 RS. I picked it up on eBay from a very helpful seller who did some of the initial config for me so that it worked straight off with my car spec.

Although I don't use an iPhone, I did swap out the USB hub as I wanted to do it "properly". I managed to source a used hub with part number HU5T-14F014-AB from an eBay seller in the US (I'm in the UK but travel to the US a lot). It seemed to be the correct part as a Google search brings up many references to Apple CarPlay with that part number.  So I was surprised when I took the old hub out and both had the same power connector. I did purchase the "2b" adapter cable  as advised in this thread but it wasn't required. So now I'm not sure if I have the correct USB hub! I get no error connecting my Android phone and Android Auto works great. I've not yet been able to test it with an iPhone, but I will try and borrow one.

@ninja.tiger - Mine is a JJ5T-14G370-GNG. I don't know what the difference is between that and the part number you are looking at I'm afraid. If you are still looking for a USB hub and you do find one in the US, drop me a line as I can fairly easily have it sent to an address out there and then pick it up to bring back next time I'm there (I tend to go each month). Anyway, depends how quickly you want it I guess. 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, Bannko said:

If you have bigger budget you can already buy a whole ALL-IN-ONE upgrade kit, where you will have all needed parts and at least you do not have to bother with buying stuff separately. I know that you can buy those kits from US but they are overpriced also some Russian sites are selling the SYNC 3 kits but i do not know the prices. And i personally know one Polish guy who also sells those kits for Ford vehicles the price from him is i think about 640 Pounds. So if maybe someone will be interested you can PM me and i will forward you the contact info.

hi id rather buy a package to know its all there could i get the information of that polish guy please? also do you know anyone that would fit if for me I'm to scared ill mess it up or break something 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:32 PM, ninja.tiger said:

hey,

great guide - cant believe ford quoted me £2k to do this!

Im looking to be brave and do it, just a quick q will this one be ok - going into a 15 plate focus. (think its sat nav)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-FORD-FOCUS-Mk3-Radio-Display-HM5T-14G370-GNG-051-GENUINE-PART/324051869593

also having trouble finding the usb hub - any recommendations? thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154044286500

This is the usb hub I used when I upgraded my mk3.5 to Sync 3.

• 1 month later...

My dash USB socket is broken. Can I replace this easily by removing the bottom trim as shown in this thread? Or would I have to replace the whole wiring loom?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry if I'm resurrecting this thread, I bought a 2015 Mondeo recently with sync 2 and have an option to purchase a 2017 screen and apim , my question is is there a way to tell if it's sync 3 by the serial number on the back and if i purchase will it work if I simply swap them out or do I need to use forscan ? Sorry for my ignorance , I'm sure I can do the work, just not sure what I need or need to change with vin etc , any help greatly appreciated, Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Good day. I’ve upgraded from stock Sync Gen1 to Sync 3. But my parallel park assist seems not working properly. It says “cancelled by driver” when I try to use left turn signal to signify the intent to search on left side of the road instead of the default right side.

Below is my APIM:

7D0-01-01: #B##-####-#### (Parking sensor display enabled, FoE)

7D0-02-02: #3##-####-#### (Enabled flank guard)

7D0-04-02: ###8-## (Parking Assist Module type, Parallel Park Only, APA lite)

I haven’t updated the PAM yet. Should update the PAM?

My stock PDC sensors are 4 + 2 SAPP in the front and 3 in the rear.

Thanks.

6BC9C43B-B8C9-4303-8FAB-2EF4DE943A16.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Hello!

Do I need the GPS antenna for non-NAVI Sync 3 for Google Maps/Waze, or it should work with the phone's gps?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club