Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice for DIY Tracker Install

Zirk

I recently purchased a DIY vehicle tracker as I was curious as to how accurate it would be. Turns out that it is very accurate. For power I connected it to the cigarette lighter by cutting the wires of an old phone charger and connecting it to the tracker.

Drove the Fiesta to work and back for 2 weeks with it on the passenger seat or under the passenger seat or under the drivers seat and it worked perfectly regardless of the weather. Since it appears to be working well, how would I go about permanently connecting it to the vehicle? It has 3 wires (red, black and orange), the red and black are for constant power and the orange is for switched live. Device dimensions are 73.8(L)× 25.9(W)× 12.2(H)mm. Any advice including a good location for securing the device would be greatly appreciated and my apologies if this topic has already been covered.

Photo of the device;

1.png

I can offer no advice on fitting it, but am interested in this. Do you need a sim card/data plan in it? How do you locate or track it? 

18 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

I can offer no advice on fitting it, but am interested in this. Do you need a sim card/data plan in it? How do you locate or track it? 

I would be interested in this,i have mine which is very cheap and accurate and works off a sim card which uses nothing at all,i put £20 on mine 12 months

ago and still got £12 left on it. Got it from Rewire Security.

also interested, could you piggyback on an a fuse you could then attach it under the dash 

Ok, seems interesting but why would anyone need a tracker in a fiesta? Unless there is suspicion the Mrs or lady /man friend is being a naughty girl/boy.....:biggrin:

If you want to hide it, put it out of sight somewhere behind the dash or engine bay, no one will look for it as no one would expect it to be there.

Put it somewhere under the Dash as Mavroz said and mine is on a piggy back direct from fuse box on 24/7.

Why have one..........Not only if car is stolen but also to something to have a play with like miles and route you went,good for a spy as well as you said when

car is in the Garage/service etc and see if they used it and when it was done,mainly a bit of fun   :smile::smile:

To be honest, of someone were daft enough to pinch my car I'd never want to see it again.  Last thing I'd want is to have it back after Johnny Lightfingers has been thrashing it.

Cheap or old smartphone, sign up to one of the find my phone type apps, hidden power supply, hide it behind a panel somewhere, you can make a tracker for nothing.

• Like 2

That's why I asked. If a fiesta is stolen, the likelihood it isn't going to be in the best of shape if or when  it is found and returned, tracker or no tracker.

Sat nav would be better for routes, built in, on phone or a specific device wouldn't it?

I doubt a fiesta would get stolen, garaged and broken for the overseas spare parts market.

Basically used just as a spying device or as said for a bit of fun, each to their own. :smile:

Yes all to there own,bit of cheap fun.

How you going to view it Zirk online as some charge to use there service,when my free period finishes i wont pay.

Hope you sort it Zirk and nice car.

Thanks everybody for the input.

@Matt12341234  @jace 1969  Yes, you do need a sim card and data plan/SMS bundle in order for the tracker to function. It is purely prepaid with no binding contract/subscription in any way. To view realtime/historical tracking information you use the Protrack website (www.protrack365.com), you can also download the Protrack app for your smartphone. The device is configured by sending SMS's to it, it will respond with an sms stating "Successful". Various parameters can be configured such as custom over speed alerts, battery disconnect, update interval (with ignition on and off), custom geo-fence alerts. Whats impressive is the unit updates location every 10 seconds with the ignition on and every 3 minutes with the ignition off.

@Mavroz As stated by others just want it just for some cheap fun/spying, also when at the dealer for any issue/service. As with my previous topic about my coolant cap, on the day it was left with the dealer to be sorted the vehicle was used for 32 kilometers while in their possession. Really wish I had the tracker installed so I would know where they went and what speed they were driving at.

@jace1969 Thank you and your car also looks very well maintained.

From the advice, I will be using a piggy back to install the tracker this weekend within the dash.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club