Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Genuine parts or is there better/same quality.

jace1969

Ok so having my cambelt and pump done in a few months and about 3 Garages i went to have said why do you want ford parts and of course i said because there top Quality.

Not only for the cambelt kit but all engine stuff are there better parts or just as good out there as you still get the same warranty when you buy them new on the parts.

Ford don't make any of the cambelt parts, they just buy the cheapest decent brand at the time and shove them in an expensive Ford box lol.

Dayco is often used for belts, Ina or SKF for bearings, Peirburg for waterpumps etc.

Gates are also good for belts, but rarely used as OEM in my experience, due to cost probably.

Stick to a decent known brand and it should be fine, just avoid cheap Chinese made rubbish on eBay.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ford don't make any of the cambelt parts, they just buy the cheapest decent brand at the time and shove them in an expensive Ford box lol.

Dayco is often used for belts, Ina or SKF for bearings, Peirburg for waterpumps etc.

Gates are also good for belts, but rarely used as OEM in my experience, due to cost probably.

Stick to a decent known brand and it should be fine, just avoid cheap Chinese made rubbish on eBay.

This one Garage did say gates and also a make what Car Spares supply but he said he used loads of them and to OEM spec,cant think of the name now

but will find out Monday,i always use to try and get parts from the garage of the make of my car like ford.

You no the makes lol don't you as some Garages named some of them.

Genuine Ford parts fitted by an authorised Ford dealer have a 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty.  Most other makes, be they good quality or bad, only give 12 months, 12000 miles-ish, and then you still have to argue with the fitting garage over who foots the bill for labour and consequential damage. 

Sometimes it really can pay in the long run to cough for a dealer to do it.

12 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Genuine Ford parts fitted by an authorised Ford dealer have a 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty.  Most other makes, be they good quality or bad, only give 12 months, 12000 miles-ish, and then you still have to argue with the fitting garage over who foots the bill for labour and consequential damage. 

Sometimes it really can pay in the long run to cough for a dealer to do it.

I see,ford wanted £500 area and others with Ford parts and others places around £350 that's pump and belt.

How does this work Gerald on the years to have it done again.

Also you say ford parts but these could be the same parts as for the make that other garages fit as Tom says in the first reply but a lot cheaper

being not coming off ford and a lot cheaper Labour.

Good to see whats others have done or they just had good quality parts and good garage but not ford.

Just explaining why Ford charge more.  Have problems there, and the guarantee is clear cut.  Have problems with an aftermarket belt fitted elsewhere then not only do you have a shorter warranty period, but you'll probably end up footing the bill for the labour and consequential damage.

The avoidance of such potential grief is what the £150 extra buys you.  If things go well with Fred in a Shed, as they do in the majority of cases, then great - if they don't, you'll be a lot poorer than that £150.  There's no right or wrong choice, but I'm not going to complain about Ford being more expensive when there's a very genuine reason for them being so.  If you can't afford to pay for a top end rebuild should the worst happen in 366 days time, then the extra £150 is good insurance.

I did mine myself, but I've had my car 12 years so I've had my moneys worth out of it anyway.

1 hour ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Just explaining why Ford charge more.  Have problems there, and the guarantee is clear cut.  Have problems with an aftermarket belt fitted elsewhere then not only do you have a shorter warranty period, but you'll probably end up footing the bill for the labour and consequential damage.

If you buy a service from a garage, and they provide the parts, then they are entirely responsible for the labour and parts cost (and consequential damage caused by a faulty part with an inherent manufacturing defect).

If you do the repair yourself, then I imagine it's a little more hazy, but you should be able to claim labour costs back at least, if not damage costs too. ECP advised me they will pay £35 per hour of labour caused by faulty parts sold by them (but only when invoiced from a genuine garage, not Fred in his Shed).

For what it's worth, my Genuine Auxillary belts kit from eBay (Ford dealer) came in a Ford box, Ford labels and packing slips, one was branded Ford and the other branded Dayco. In my talks with Dayco, they also make OEM Ford belts too.

• Like 1

These are all good points and i know (as said above) ford don't make the parts just put there name on them which then again could be a Dayco or Gates etc make.

Its strange how if 2 garages could fit the same parts if the one fails the one will cover it over 12 months say ford but the other wont being over 12 months when its the

same quality parts fitted,you would know in a week or a bit more if it was fitted wrong so it would only come down to the part Quality not the fitter.

So the parts only come with a 12 months cover then as ford would have to pay the cost after the 12 months as same parts say Dayco would have 12 months

cover if ford fits it or our old mate Fred the parts still have the same cover.

By the way i have had a belt go on my old CVH 1.6 a nice few years ago and when head was stripped down it was a mess.

What time after done would it need to be done again..........And great bit of info as its made me look at other side  so thanks for this.

27 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

So the parts only come with a 12 months cover then as ford would have to pay the cost after the 12 months as same parts say Dayco would have 12 months

cover if ford fits it or our old mate Fred the parts still have the same cover

Manufacturers warranty and your consumer rights are two different things.

You have protection above and beyond the warranty provided by the part manufacturer. Mostly anything you buy as a consumer whether that is goods or services you are covered for a number of years more than any warranty offered - say for instance your timing belt failed after 5 years (and a Garage installed it), you would go back to them and they would most likely be liable for part, labour and repair costs (Consumer Rights Act 2015, and others). I would personally expect any replacement belt/tensioner setup to last the belt change interval set by the vehicle manufacturer. If your friend "Fred" installed it, correctly, and it was a fault with the part then you would go back to the retailer that you purchased the part from for redress - you have up to 6 years (Consumer Rights Act 2015).

10 minutes ago, Micro said:

Manufacturers warranty and your consumer rights are two different things.

You have protection above and beyond the warranty provided by the part manufacturer. Mostly anything you buy as a consumer whether that is goods or services you are covered for a number of years more than any warranty offered - say for instance your timing belt failed after 5 years (and a Garage installed it), you would go back to them and they would most likely be liable for part, labour and repair costs (Consumer Rights Act 2015, and others). I would personally expect any replacement belt/tensioner setup to last the belt change interval set by the vehicle manufacturer. If your friend "Fred" installed it, correctly, and it was a fault with the part then you would go back to the retailer that you purchased the part from for redress - you have up to 6 years (Consumer Rights Act 2015).

Cheers Ted for that bit of great info and the rights so looking more at my mate Fred with a good parts now as it will always be a top make and will have a receipt for

the parts fitted as he would get them and stuff,he is a chap who owns his own little garage and been there for a good 30 years and a great chap,known him for years

and done a lot of my old cars which this car is fitting into the older car area now,if you ever have a problem he will always fit it as i have been back to him,he has a good

reputation in the area.

• Like 1

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

I'm not 100% on liability and the legislation that supports that for further damages caused by faulty parts, but if it is a consequence of a part failing prematurely I can't see a court saying no to the repair costs, but the Consumer Rights Act definitely gives you protection up to 6 years (for those things that will last 6 years or more). It's a good read and good information for you to know regardless of what you're buying.

Good luck claiming a timing belt failure after 5 years of being fitted at a garage :lol: 

after all, it’s to you to provide the evidence those goods were faulty to start with. 

As the legislation says, this doesn’t mean a product has to last the 5 or 6 years (depending on country) but is your window to claim. 

• Like 2

The cost of suing them, engineers reports etc, will cost more than the repair.  And the engine will likely be severely damaged, which is liable  to obscure the precise point of failure.  And then you have an engine worked on 5 years ago and you have to prove beyond the balance of probabilities that no one else has fannied with it since.  Good luck with that! :lol:

I would probably go to an independent too (if weren't perfectly capable of doing it myself) but I'm not going to justify it with daft statements about the belt being if the same make or from the same source - the belt could be made by Kleenex, but when Ford fit it you get a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, which covers the cost of new item, labour and rectification of consequential damage. 

When anyone else fits it you simply do not.  The comparison is meaningless.

Be honest - we go independent for no more reason than we don't mind taking the slight gamble because we'll save a few quid.  

See link

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/motorcraft/repairs/timing-belts?searchid=ppc:UK-Motorcraft-Timing-Belt-Exact:Fiesta-Timing-Belt-Exact:fiesta timing belt:e:c:g:GOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49Krlpyv2QIVR4GyCh384ATSEAAYASAAEgKT9PD_BwE

£419 including water pump at Ford.

Ford Dealer is about 1.5 miles from where I live so this is probably what I'll do.

Doesn't mention warranty though. 

• Like 3

All genuine Ford parts fitted by an authorised Ford agent have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty against faulty materials or fitting.  Some minor exceptions for wear and tear stuff like clutch friction plates, brake pads, etc.

3 hours ago, mgaking said:

See link

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/motorcraft/repairs/timing-belts?searchid=ppc:UK-Motorcraft-Timing-Belt-Exact:Fiesta-Timing-Belt-Exact:fiesta timing belt:e:c:g:GOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49Krlpyv2QIVR4GyCh384ATSEAAYASAAEgKT9PD_BwE

£419 including water pump at Ford.

Ford Dealer is about 1.5 miles from where I live so this is probably what I'll do.

Doesn't mention warranty though. 

I will ring them again as they said £370 for the kit and i worked it out rough on just under £500 with the pump cost and labour/other stuff like pump is around £70.

If it was £419 all in it would be there now,i will ring on Monday.

So you would look at a 5 year life span until next change again if done at ford.

Reading another topic on here just i think its get it done  as 7 years soon,going towards ford as for the warranty and stuff.

10 hours ago, stef123 said:

Good luck claiming a timing belt failure after 5 years of being fitted at a garage :lol: 

after all, it’s to you to provide the evidence those goods were faulty to start with. 

As the legislation says, this doesn’t mean a product has to last the 5 or 6 years (depending on country) but is your window to claim. 

If all the components are fitted (OEM quality) at the same time, I would argue that it should last the timing belt interval unless the garage are going to impose a lesser interval... Say, tensioner failure (seized) causing the belt to rub through and break. :biggrin: Granted, proving that was an inherent fault might be difficult, but certainly something that can be argued. I'm going to replace my timing belt again in 3 years if the car is still worth keeping hence not selling my timing tools!

7 hours ago, mgaking said:

Check they replace the tensioner too, all the Ford dealers I contacted stated that it was not replaced.

You could argue it but you’ll get nowhere lol.

changing it again in 3 years? What is the need? It’ll last another 8 years easily. 

• Like 2

I thought a Kit is a kit (Belt/pully/tensioner) another thing to ask if its the full kit.

• Like 1

Update................Just rang ford as open at 8.30........Twall Ford.......i can walk it to here and where i have service done.

They said.

The price first place is £449 all in (belt kit with everything and pump)

Gerald....I asked them about the 2 years cover and unlimited millage......NO....its 12 months parts and labour and no one could do unlimited millage.

Parts come with the normal 12 months cover unless the parts itself states other wise what i can see.

I will try another ford place just to see if its my local one but if this is the case you don't gain a lot as you still only get 12 months just gain that its ford.

and over £150 more to pay,it come down to the trust of the Garage you trust and how well you know him and how he works as they will be same make parts.

Gates is the make a lot say get as they are OEM and most use and also been round for years,this is ringing a good amount of Garages.

......Just rang 2 more Ford dealers and not one will give you 2 years/unlimited millage only get it done for £30 cheaper.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:54 PM, stef123 said:

You could argue it but you’ll get nowhere lol.

changing it again in 3 years? What is the need? It’ll last another 8 years easily. 

With the mindset that after 6 years, I have no possible, (no matter how weak), come back at all on anyone if the belt or tensioner fails. Fat fingers meant I typed 3 and not 5 :biggrin:

19 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I thought a Kit is a kit (Belt/pully/tensioner) another thing to ask if its the full kit.

The actual ford timing belt procedure for the 1.4/1.6 on Etis (workshop manuals online, and local copy) also neglects to replace the tensioner and does not even include the torque values for it. Mine was appeared fine with no excessive play when I took it off.

I was just looking at on this topic to see if Genuine parts are any better than a good Quality part but seeing a lot of Garages (just going on the belt kit and pump)

which i will have done very soon there are very little if any that ford makes and given the make they use OEM and also reading on here.

From where i can see as just going off the belt kit again a good garage is just as good and a lot cheaper as you still get the same warranty as most use the same

parts or if you ask them to,i also rang up a lot of non ford garages to compare the price different using Gates and amazed with the prices,you have a good £150 save.

Will have it done will Gates Kit and waterpump next week.