Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 MK4 2.2 TDCI Titanium X Sport Starting Problems

Cookie_2013

Ok So I am new here and I have been searching the forum for an answer to this but to no avail. Apologies if this has been previously posted and answered.

My Mondeo starts absolutely fine from cold and shortly after stopping. The problem I have been having is after the vehicle has been parked up for about 4 hours. I turn on the ignition, let the glow plug light go out and crank. The engine just cranks and cranks but wont start. The occasional judder like its trying to fire but doesn't. Sometimes it will eventually start. No warnings or lights on the dash indicating any problems. When this happened last week the battery almost died from cranking too much. I decided to put a new battery on the car because I suspect that it is the original battery and I had heard that a poor battery could cause it to turn over too slowly and cause problems. So now although the battery seems ok and the starting is a bit better, after this period of about 4 hours it still takes a long time cranking to get it to start. I am going to run a diagnostic test tomorrow and see if there are any fault codes but I'm not too hopeful as there are no warnings on the dash.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of what is causing the problem. Its a great car but I'm feeling that its a bit unreliable at the moment.

Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, Cookie_2013 said:

Ok So I am new here and I have been searching the forum for an answer to this but to no avail. Apologies if this has been previously posted and answered.

My Mondeo starts absolutely fine from cold and shortly after stopping. The problem I have been having is after the vehicle has been parked up for about 4 hours. I turn on the ignition, let the glow plug light go out and crank. The engine just cranks and cranks but wont start. The occasional judder like its trying to fire but doesn't. Sometimes it will eventually start. No warnings or lights on the dash indicating any problems. When this happened last week the battery almost died from cranking too much. I decided to put a new battery on the car because I suspect that it is the original battery and I had heard that a poor battery could cause it to turn over too slowly and cause problems. So now although the battery seems ok and the starting is a bit better, after this period of about 4 hours it still takes a long time cranking to get it to start. I am going to run a diagnostic test tomorrow and see if there are any fault codes but I'm not too hopeful as there are no warnings on the dash.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of what is causing the problem. Its a great car but I'm feeling that its a bit unreliable at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Modern ECU's will typically prevent actual startup when cranking if certain parameters aren't within a set range.  I know from using Forscan on my MK2 Focus 1.8 TDCi that if the fuel rail pressure isn't above a certain figure there is a specific code/PID that is YES/NO, YES = as far the ECU is concerned it will try to start the car and NO = no matter how long I crank it won't start.

I'm not saying your issue is fuel related but if could monitor the START YES/NO pid when you're having problems you'll at least be able to see if the ECU is ACTUALLY trying to start your car or if "computer says no".  If the PID is saying NO in this instance at least you have the 1st piece of the puzzle as to why the car won't start, although figuring out from that point which snesor reading is far enough out of spec to prevent engine start up could be a bit more tricky.

8 minutes ago, Cookie_2013 said:

Thank You. I will try and check this out

No worries, when i get chance in the morning I'll plug my laptop into my car and see what PIDs I can see that might be useful (I can't remember if the START one is purely related to fuel rail pressure but I'll check and post back).

I had similar issues on my 2.2 tit x sport until I changed the fuel filter.

It has been fine for the last 5 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikesmith2939 said:

I had similar issues on my 2.2 tit x sport until I changed the fuel filter.

It has been fine for the last 5 months.

There have been plenty of people on here that have solved start issues and/or lumpy running on a TDCi engine by changing the fuel filter, my 1.8 TDCi only takes a paper ones (£7 for genuine Bosch) so mine gets done every 6 months and still looks rank when it comes out.

I ask Ford for a price of the filter and they quoted £107.

The Range Rover Vogue filter is the same and a genuine one on eBay was £35

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mikesmith2939 said:

I ask Ford for a price of the filter and they quoted £107.

The Range Rover Vogue filter is the same and a genuine one on Ebay was £35

Asking Ford was the 1st mistake! :whip:

A quick search on Euro Car parts has several non Ford branded filters at around £60ish.

I've used Autodoc before for parts without any issues, they usually have a good range and despite delivering from Germany are usually cheaper than most UK base suppliers, I've linked to the filter that seems to be right for your car (Bosch rather than some of the crappier brands, the Bosch one including delivery is still less than £42) :biggrin: MK4 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI fuel filter

Oh and even FordPartsUK want nearly £34 when I can get a Bosch one for £7...car manufacturers REALLY take the p**s!

I replaced my fuel filter a couple of months ago. Got it from euro car parts. With some discount it was around £35. Runs a lot better now. My cars a 2009 2.2 tdci txs.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I put a new battery on the car and its been better but the problem is still apparent when trying to start the car after aprox 3-4 hours after switching the engine off and then going back to restart the car.

I have purchased and received an ELM327 modified today and I have set it up and connected to my car. There was a fault code stored with EGR which I cleared but I cant remember what the code was. 

I am going to connect the laptop and try and start it in a few hours. What PID's should I be checking. Any help will be much appreciated. 

Also if the fuel filter was causing any problems would this show on Forscan

Thank you

A blocked fuel filter won't show as such, but can be the cause of low fuel pressure faults

• 6 months later...
On 2/19/2018 at 7:39 PM, 1979Damian said:

Asking Ford was the 1st mistake! :whip:

A quick search on Euro Car parts has several non Ford branded filters at around £60ish.

I've used Autodoc before for parts without any issues, they usually have a good range and despite delivering from Germany are usually cheaper than most UK base suppliers, I've linked to the filter that seems to be right for your car (Bosch rather than some of the crappier brands, the Bosch one including delivery is still less than £42) :biggrin: MK4 Mondeo 2.2 TDCI fuel filter

Oh and even FordPartsUK want nearly £34 when I can get a Bosch one for £7...car manufacturers REALLY take the p**s!

Just ordered one thanks for the link, I sometimes have starting issues random, sounds just this fix. Is it an easy job to do any tips or is it just easy swop over and away we go 

• Like 1