Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ST Line 1.5 Ecoboost 150/182ps

kpdsk13

I am currently debating between purchasing Focus 1.5 Ecoboost. However I am uncertain of which power output to purchase; either 150ps or 182ps. Leaning more 182ps.

The dealers Ive been too currently do not have either engine to test drive only the 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps or 125ps, which makes me a bit hesitant as I would naturally prefer to drive the model I want to buy.

Ive been lead to believe that the time to build the 150ps is much shorter than the 182ps. The 182ps are apparently rare to find already built.

Is there anyone who owns either 150ps or 182ps? Is it worth me waiting for 182ps? 

They're the same engine just different map.

They basically produce the same torque up to about 4500rpm after which the 150 tails off to meet the 150 limit, where the 180 nearly maintains peak torque to about 5500rpm 

I guess it depends how you like to drive if you'd notice the difference.

My wife had a st line 1.5 eco boost on a 67 plate and we tried to get it remapped but could not get it to re-right the ecu. 

But on the good side it was pulling 170 ps on the Dino and having driven it on holiday this week it is quick 

Who was the remap with that you couldn’t re write the ecu ? 

A local bloke running a company called wayside performance near coventry 

Oh right. There won’t be any issues with Superchips thou. Trusted reputable company. 

I'm sure there have been multiple reports in the past on here of users with the 150 PS version finding that they're virtually getting the 182 PS output as stock.

Wouldn't surprise me lol

the wife had a 2.0l diesel which had a lot of low down torque she just needs to learn to rev the petrol a little more 

• Like 1

@alexp999 Thanks for your reply. That does make sense.

It seems then the mapping of this particular engine is quite different from the VAG/Vauxhall equivalent. Driven both and the boost seems to come on between 2000rpm and 4000rpm and dies out. Whereas Ford's tune spreads the torque out evenly across the rev range, making it more...'fun' to rev out. Is that a correct observation or am I chatting 💩?! 😂

@drsdriver Thanks for the reply.

Its a good suggestion. However I am abit dubious of claims quoted in the link.

How reputable is Superchips from your experience? Are they reliable? Are the headline figures really achieveable? 

@TangoDaz Thank you for the reply.

How come they couldnt rewrite the ECU? Was it because of how the engine is to Ford or? 

@1979Damian Thanks for your reply.

Thats great to hear! Will have a proper troll through the forum. Dont know why Ford would tune the engines like that, basically getting 182ps for nothing extra!

Another question if anyone could answer, rather than me starting yet another topic:

Is there much difference between the generic Focus vs ST Line in terms of driving dynamics?

Reason being, at work we use MK3 Focus Estates (albeit with woefully under powered diesels and I believe they are 'Style' spec) and the handling seems alright, although can be skittish when going round corners at speed. Then again, to be fair they are not built for doing what we make them do 😂. Did the MK3.5 improve a lot on the MK3?

They stiffened up the front end on the MK3.5

On top of that the Zetec s and st lines get sport suspension which is slightly lower and more taught without being crashy or as harsh as the full ST.

Can vouch for superchips, done a great job on my STLine . 

If you google superchips they are one of the biggest remappers out there. They are country wide as well as world wide. People remap their cars from abroad using superchips. 

Ive read loads on different forums and not heard one bad remark about them . As for the headline figures , yes they are accurate. Lots of people have dyno d their cars afterwards and not been disappointed. 

Look on their website and read all the reviews from customers. 

This is my remap

http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=9&fueltype=2&model=2&variant=3248

Its outstanding, actually scared me the first time I drove it away from Demon Tweeks where it was remapped. It was night & day the difference . Can’t recommend them enough. 

• Thanks 1

Along with fatter tyres and lowered stiffened suspension , the drive is so more rewarding than a standard Focus. What with the sporty looks and meaner front end, it’s definitely a great up grade than a standard Focus. 

I’ve even remapped my wife’s bmw 116i F21 using superchips. Again the performance gain is incredible. 

25 minutes ago, drsdriver said:

Along with fatter tyres and lowered stiffened suspension , the drive is so more rewarding than a standard Focus. What with the sporty looks and meaner front end, it’s definitely a great up grade than a standard Focus. 

You only get wider tyres with the 18s. Same can be had in Titanium etc. Not exclusive to the sporty models.

Oh ok. I got 18” on my car, still a good upgrade from the standard 16 or 17”. 

I wouldn't spend £50 on a car I hadn't driven first.

@alexp999 Cheers for that! Sounds like a good compromise.

@drsdriver Wow! Sounds like a huge difference. How long have you had your car since remapping? Any reliability issues of note? Dramatic effects on MPG?

@Jethro_Tull My thoughts and feelings exactly. Been there, done that, never again. Currently contacting as many Ford dealerships (within a reasonable distance) which may have the vehicle to test drive before I put my money down! 

This current STLine was remapped at 1000 miles after I ran it in. It’s now on 11500 miles with absolutely no problems at all. It’s got a K&N filter on it too. Had it’s first service too with no issues. 

My previous Focus Mk3 Titanium 1.6 diesel was also remapped at 6000 miles and was sold with 50,000 miles on it with no issues. 

Todays cars are made restricted in power to meet worldwide differences in low quality fuel, poor air quality, etc. 

All the remaps do is tighten up the tolerances to within safe limits of the engine, and make them run how they should without being held back by the restrictive maps that the manufacturer set them at. 

In terms of mpg, yes both Focus’s have improved in fuel economy. The 1.6 diesel was about 10 mpg average better. This 2.0 diesel is about 5 mpg better but heck of a lot of smiles too. I’m tracking my fuel on every tank and it’s averaging 50 mpg over the whole tank . 

Just now, drsdriver said:

This current STLine was remapped at 1000 miles after I ran it in. It’s now on 11500 miles with absolutely no problems at all. It’s got a K&N filter on it too. Had it’s first service too with no issues. 

My previous Focus Mk3 Titanium 1.6 diesel was also remapped at 6000 miles and was sold with 50,000 miles on it with no issues. 

Todays cars are made restricted in power to meet worldwide differences in low quality fuel, poor air quality, etc. 

All the remaps do is tighten up the tolerances to within safe limits of the engine, and make them run how they should without being held back by the restrictive maps that the manufacturer set them at. 

In terms of mpg, yes both Focus’s have improved in fuel economy. The 1.6 diesel was about 10 mpg average better. This 2.0 diesel is about 5 mpg better but heck of a lot of smiles too. I’m tracking my fuel on every tank and it’s averaging 50 mpg over the whole tank . 

While it can be the case, it's not all sunshine and rainbows 

Stuff can and does go wrong with mapped cars. It's just a risk you have to be willing to take as there is no warranty.

As long as you use a reputable company then the risk is reduced . It’s also down to how the car is driven and looked after. 

But that can effect any car mapped or not. Any car thrashed to death will fail at some point. 

Just because someone remaps their car , doesn’t mean they race it to death. It’s all about the drivability and extra power for safe over taking. 

5 minutes ago, drsdriver said:

As long as you use a reputable company then the risk is reduced . It’s also down to how the car is driven and looked after. 

But that can effect any car mapped or not. Any car thrashed to death will fail at some point. 

Just because someone remaps their car , doesn’t mean they race it to death. It’s all about the drivability and extra power for safe over taking. 

It depends how close to the limit the car already is at stock.

Quite often the main limits lifted are the torque limits to protect the gearbox 

Remapped Fiestas have been known to chew through their synchros.

Suppose that’s where a good reputable company will know what the safe limits are !

• Like 1

@drsdriver Seems like you have had a good experience with tuning! But like @alexp999 said I am a bit apprehensive with it due to warranty issues. 

After run in I may come back to it.

Update: Found a dealership that has the 1.5 Ecoboost St Line available to test drive. Scheduled for Friday at 0900hrs. Looking forward to it 😁

Hey that’s good news. Is it the 150 or 182 bhp eco boost ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club