Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nextbase Dashcam Hardwire Issues!

IllogicalCpt

Hi everyone,

Looking for a little help, I have switched from a Nissan Note to a 2014 Ford Focus and taken out my working kit and have attempted to install it into the Focus but I am hitting walls!  I am using the nextbase hardwire kit and plugging it into fuse 85 but no power seems to be getting to the dashcam, I have tried it on a couple of other fuses but no joy, in the end I have bought a second hardwire kit and still no joy! I have plugged the camera directly into a power source and the camera works fine... 

Just not sure what else to try...any help is much appreciated

Just to check you've get engine/ignition on when testing? Fuse 85 is switched live.

Not something odd like fuse tap round the wrong way?

Aye, ignition on when testing, even started the car! No power... Anyone else fitted one of these have a better suggestion for an earthing point? Just so I can better rule it out

Just try running the earth to one of the bolts on the door hinge, just as a testing point

Will give it another go today and grab some pics... maybe i am missing something but it was easy as pie to install in the Note i had... dont understand the issue...

The only other thing I can think of is if it's a battery monitoring kit you've got that's sensing your battery is below the threshold voltage.

But thinking about it that shouldn't matter with the engine running...

You've done everything right though so it'll be something odd causing the problem. 

Have you checked the fuse in your fuse tap? Simple I know, but...

Unless there has been damage to the cable when removing or reinstalling?

15 hours ago, CHUDNET10 said:

Anyone else fitted one of these have a better suggestion for an earthing point?

For what it's worth I fitted mine in my Mk3 in exactly the same way as you, F85 and a bolt in the glovebox rail, and it works fine. The only difference was that I used the original cigar lighter plug/power supply lead in a wire-ended socket rather than the hardwiring kit.

Even if you got the fuse tap the wrong way round it should still work, it's just that the cam supply would be passing through both fuses.

24 minutes ago, mjt said:

Even if you got the fuse tap the wrong way round it should still work, it's just that the cam supply would be passing through both fuses.

Is that right or would the current from whatever is on F85 pop the small dash cam fuse as soon as the ignition is switched on, breaking the circuit to the larger one?  Though that said, I seem to remember my hardwire kit came with the small fuse already in the right slot so I didn't have to touch it.  

Yeah I thought I might have bust the one I had so I have tried a new kit and it came preconfigured with the right fuse in the right spot 

Has one of the fuses in the tap blown?have you got 2 fuses in the tap?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As above, check the 'main' fuse is still intact.  Do you have a multimeter or test light at all?

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

would the current from whatever is on F85 pop the small dash cam fuse

No, it doesn't work that way. It would just mean the cam supply fuse would be connected to the other side of (technically, in series with) the original F85 fuse so the cam's current would be added to the current through F85. Since the cam takes very little current it would be very unlikely to blow the original F85. There might be a very slight voltage drop across the original fuse but too small to cause the cam to stop operating.

The original fuse should go in the bottom slot of the fuse tap and the (lower rated) cam fuse in the top, in line with the wire.

FuseTap.jpg.9820364fce9319388c84234b026611cd.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjt said:

No, it doesn't work that way. It would just mean the cam supply fuse would be connected to the other side of the original F85 fuse so the cam's current would be added to the current through F85. Since the cam takes very little current it would be very unlikely to blow the original F85. There might be a very slight voltage drop across the original fuse but too small to cause the cam to stop operating.

If you put a 2a fuse directly in the 10a F85 slot, it would blow quickly.  So why isn't it the same to put the 2a in the 'main' fuse slot of the piggyback holder?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get my head around it lol. 

• Like 1

That's why you need to put the existing (7.5Amp) fuse in the 'main' slot of the tap and the cam fuse in the top. Yes, if you put them the other way round the lower-rated fuse would blow but why would you? It's obvious from the construction of the tap that the cam fuse should go in the slot that's in line with the wire.

Edit:- see amended drawing above.

• Like 2

Ah good, at least I'm not completely losing it lol. :laugh:

It's obvious to you yes...but may not be to everyone.  You'd think it's obvious which hole to put screenwash in or which way round brake pads go but some people still get it wrong.  It would be a possibility if the fuse wasn't already fitted in the piggyback. :smile:

• Like 1

Success!! Started again, brand new fuses in the right holes on the tap and earthed on the pole behind the dash, comes on with the ignition and goes off when the car does... Plugged into fuse 85 if anyone is interested! Glad I have finally got there! Thanks for all the help everyone!

20180222_170455.jpg

• Like 3

Just to clarify, I've amended the drawing in my post above.

Glad you got it sorted, Jonathan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Have you checked the fuse in your fuse tap? Simple I know, but...

Hehe told ya ;)

• 3 years later...

Just bought a 19 plate focus and want to install my nextbase dashcam. Using the fuse box in passenger footwell what is the best fuse to use so the dashcam turns off when I lock the car? Have used the ignition fuse but that is a permanent live fuse so dashcam stays on all the time.  The cigarette lighter fuses are in the engine. 

Fuse 3 micro2 piggyback required

Fuse 3 is the ‘Parking Assist Control Module’. Are you saying this one?   Is it better to have it one a fuse that is permanently live or switches off when you lock the car? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club