Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm system

Alienburt

Is there any way to turn off the alarm on the Edge? On the cross channel ferries they often ask to turn them off in rough weather but can't figure out how to achieve this. If I don't lock the car it will achieve this but then the mirrors don't fold - any advice please

You can get the mirrors to fold in manually. It is one of the buttons next to the mirrors' adjustment button on the driver's door.

Thanks Neil - never noticed that button before

Is it safe to leave it unlocked there?  I've never been on a car ferry but seems like an ideal place to nick stuff from cars? :unsure:

You can turn off the interior alarm sensors in the dash menu if that's safer.

Hi Tom

Yes they are safe as passengers are not allowed on the car deck during the crossing. I know a guy who, when doing the crossing, always put his Krooklock on the steering wheel - I couldn't get him to understand that there is no way to steal the car in the middle of  the english channel - mind you, the lift didn't quite get to the top floor when they made him!!

Thanks again

• Haha 1

I would just turn off the internal sensor and leave the car locked. When you turn off the ignition you get the option to do this.  It’s really meant for when you leave a pet in the car. If someone breaks in the alarm will sound but choppy seas won’t trigger it. 

44 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

I would just turn off the internal sensor and leave the car locked. When you turn off the ignition you get the option to do this.  It’s really meant for when you leave a pet in the car. If someone breaks in the alarm will sound but choppy seas won’t trigger it. 

This was my original idea but it won't work, there's an inclination sensor on them so the alarm goes off if someone tries to pull it onto a recovery truck.  I expect there's enough movement to set that off on a ferry.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, TomsFocus said:

Is it safe to leave it unlocked there?  I've never been on a car ferry but seems like an ideal place to nick stuff from cars? :unsure:

It's NOT safe to leave anything unlocked on a cross channel ferry.

There is plenty of time between when you leave the car and they declare the car deck a no go zone for naughtiness to occur.

I go across fairly frequently driving a coach. Every thing that can be locked is locked. Of course no clandestine (the official term for an illegal immigrant) would ever transfer from the underneath of a truck to the inside of a coach along side the luggage, or even underneath a coach during the crossing. I always leave the air suspension in the lowest position to discourage them.

Oh the joys of the road.

ScaniaPBman.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This was my original idea but it won't work, there's an inclination sensor on them so the alarm goes off if someone tries to pull it onto a recovery truck.  I expect there's enough movement to set that off on a ferry.

Reduced guard setting always used to disable the tilt sensor as well as the movement sensor.