Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Camera

liamstears

Hope someone can help

I retrofit an aftermarket rear camera, worked perfect

Came across a genuine camera for a good price so decided to go for it

Fit it including the BCM wire for steering input

Now have an issue, please see: https://youtu.be/QaonPrSufi4

Camera does work sort of but pressing zoom it goes a bit mad and it does occasionally flicker on the normal screen, BCM functions work perfectly though

Odd thing is if I put my finger on the bottom right of the lens it works, also if I move the position of the camera to point up instead of down it also works perfectly

I decided it was a faulty camera so got another and now have 2 used cameras but both seem to have the same issue? So I'm thinking maybe it's not the camera, what else could cause this?

Could it be that I am using just the 2 pins for video to the display? Genuine cameras have a 3rd shield cable that goes to pin 6 on the camera, could this be the issue?

I do plan on adding that cable but wondered if I could get some input first hopefully from someone that has retrofit a genuine camera?

I take it both cameras improve when you push the right corner or point it upward? I was going to suggest an Earth/grounding problem but it seems unlikely. Have you been able to try the camera without it in the position it is meant to be in, like just hanging off the end of the loom? 

Yeh have tried, exactly the same result

I did manage at 1 point to have it working normally in the normal position for a few seconds but when putting it all back together it wasn't working again

Haven't been able to replicate

Have tested the clip that goes into the camera by checking continuity on an electrical meter using some fuse wire in each of the 6 pins and that seems fine and hopefully if my new connector comes for behind the screen I'm going to replace the run from the screen to the camera and make sure I fit the shielding also

Other than this I don't know what else it could be other than 2 faulty cameras, shame I haven't got 1 laying around I know works 100% although the seller of the cameras assures they are both fine and they are a trustworthy seller

Which screen do you need for the factory camera to work?

Fixed it!

Replaced cable from screen to boot using a new 2 core shielded cable and connected the shielding properly and it works perfectly!

As for the above question I'm using the 5" sat nav mfd low display that has a 4 pin hsd connector for the camera

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Liam, you will be pretty pleased with yourself now. Good problem solving skills there bud!

Hi Liam, I retrofitted the genuine ford camera to mine too, but my lines don't move and I don't have zoom function, the only wire I have not connected is the one from the camera to the BCM as I don't know what wire it is and where it connects to on the BCM. if you could give me any info on this wire it would be very much appreciated.

Sure

Can't give you the wire color right this second but follow these steps for now

Take out your parcel shelf, from the boot on the left hand side remove the trim, first the light color piece next to the headliner, there is 1 screw close to the passenger door behind a little cover you have the pry off, once the screw is out the trim will pull off

Then remove the grey piece on the left, 1 screw close to the boot side and then it pulls off

Them pull the carpet away

Now at this stage you should see a big grey connector block near the seat belt mechanism

This block pulls away from the car for easier access

Now IF the wiring is already in place you should see that the top part of this connector which runs to the boot should have 3 wires missing, these are the 3 that would normally be for the camera, the bottom part of the connector which runs into the car hopefully has the 3 wires in place, mine did

If the 3 wires are in place that's your 12v and ground for power and the BCM wire, not 100% sure off the top of my head but I think it was the middle one for BCM

Check these are there first and if they are I will find out which one you need

• Thanks 1

Cheers for that! I'm at work abroad just now, will check it out when I get back to the UK.