Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Trim levels get DRL's

James

I have recently changed out my car to a Titanium 1.5 tdci 2015, and over all I love it but I have noticed today it doesn't seem to have DRL's.  Never gave it a 2nd thought when I bought the car as I thought DRL's would be a standard Titanium feature.  Would it just be a plug and play job if I got a set of headlights with them? Also would I need to activate Software to get them to work?  Would putting in a pair of BiXenon headlights be a no no without washers or could I get away with it? 

The Mk3 was put into production before the ruling came in about all new cars needing to have DRL's, therefore didn't have them on anything other than the Titanium X and ST-3, and an option on the others.

The MK3.5 they are standard on the ST-2, ST-3, RS, Zetec-S and titanium X, optional on the titanium and zetec.

26 minutes ago, James said:

Also would putting in a pair of BiXenon headlights be a no no without washers or could I get away with it? 

The MOT changes in May meaning aftermarket HID's are basically a straight fail from what I can remember.

Taken from the new MOT inspection manual:

"Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

26 minutes ago, James said:

Would it just be a plug and play job if I got a set of headlights with them? Also would I need to activate Software to get them to work?

I don't have much of an idea on how to fit them, but I can tell you now it's not a plug and play job and is probably more hassle than what it's worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  Despite missing a few features that would be nice to have overall its a big upgrade on my Last car.  

The new MOT rules haven't yet been finalised and are still subject to change but I doubt that the use of HIDs will be encouraged as an aftermarket option. That said, the wording is still as open to interpretation as it ever was. For example "if it is clear" is subjective, testers are not allowed to remove anything so if the ballasts are hidden and the bulbs are behind projector lenses then it is likely to be fine. Which is a pain because cheap units and poorly aligned bulbs are awful.

There are several aftermarket DRL units for the MK3, the most widely used are the ones that go either side of the lower front grill. The triangular sections pop out and are replaced. While they aren't plug and play it's just a case of using the splices provided, even a Halford monkey could fit them (probably). As said above, the MK3 was designed prior to the changes and only cars that had a face-lift or newer version made after 2013 had to have DRL by law.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is what I had fitted by the Ford garage on my Mk3 Titanium.  They used to be a Ford option fitted at the customers request. 

Although not cheap, they looked smart, were extremely bright in the daytime, and dimmed 50% when the headlights were put on. 

They worked perfectly without any issues for the 4 years I owned the car, and I sold the car with them on. 

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_nolden_daytime_running_lights_with_gloss_black_bezel_f_1746357_c_997.htm

post-81221-0-22087800-1473026678.jpeg

• Like 1

I got the Noldens via eBay at half the price Ford wanted, took me 45 mins to fit, in the dark, in the rain. Dead easy. 4 years later, still work perfectly, mega bright and look good

You can just pop the grill triangles out from the front, using a spudger from the outer bottom corner (when you get the Noldens you will see where the clips are!). Don't forget there are 2 types of Noldens, gloss and matt so check which grill you have first

14 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The new MOT rules haven't yet been finalised and are still subject to change but I doubt that the use of HIDs will be encouraged as an aftermarket option. That said, the wording is still as open to interpretation as it ever was. For example "if it is clear" is subjective, testers are not allowed to remove anything so if the ballasts are hidden and the bulbs are behind projector lenses then it is likely to be fine. Which is a pain because cheap units and poorly aligned bulbs are awful.

There are several aftermarket DRL units for the MK3, the most widely used are the ones that go either side of the lower front grill. The triangular sections pop out and are replaced. While they aren't plug and play it's just a case of using the splices provided, even a Halford monkey could fit them (probably). As said above, the MK3 was designed prior to the changes and only cars that had a face-lift or newer version made after 2013 had to have DRL by law.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have the facelift so don't think the triangular ones will work. I want the Drl's for looks more than anything else 😁!

Oh my bad . Should have realised being 2015 . Sorry 😐 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, James said:

I have recently changed out my car to a Titanium 1.5 tdci 2015, and over all I love it but I have noticed today it doesn't seem to have DRL's.  Never gave it a 2nd thought when I bought the car as I thought DRL's would be a standard Titanium feature.  Would it just be a plug and play job if I got a set of headlights with them? Also would I need to activate Software to get them to work?  Would putting in a pair of BiXenon headlights be a no no without washers or could I get away with it? 

you can always buy one and swap them, This is what I will be doing

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club