Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible to watch videos in car?

Dojoo

Hey guys

I have a Fiesta MK7.5 Titanium is it possible to watch mp4/dvds in the car while driving? Or is there a mod for this.

It is illegal for a driver to watch  dvds whilst driving a car. It ok for the rear passengers to watch them if the player is in the rear of the car.

1 hour ago, Dojoo said:

Hey guys

I have a Fiesta MK7.5 Titanium is it possible to watch mp4/dvds in the car while driving? Or is there a mod for this.

This must be a wind up question surely ?

Why the hell would you want to watch a video while DRIVING  you might as well call in the pub as well and have a skinfull. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The only way is to fit an aftermarket head unit with a video option and then it will only work if you have a handbrake sensor connected.

This is so you can't see video from the driver's seat whilst in motion.

Some head units can show a polarised image that is only visible to passengers but the driver will see a blank screen or info screen.

Sticking an ipad or suchlike on the dash is an option but as Thomas stated above is very illegal if the driver can see the screen.

It is covered under the law that prohibits portable handheld (or possible handheld) devices whilst driving which carries an endorsable penalty of six points and a £200 fine.

We were told that it is possible to watch video playback on the screen when we purchased our St Line X. We questioned the legality and mentality of that and were told that it hadn t been tbought out.

Hopefully they will upgrade the software to stop this being functional as you can guarantee that someone will do it.

Ps.i.know of hgv drivers who have DVDs playing in their cab whilst driving......

You can only patch video to the head unit if there are AV sockets in the centre console.
Lorry drivers face £1000 fine if caught and a ban if they are considered to be driving dangerously whilst viewing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With most aftermarket units if you ground the handbrake wire instead of connecting it to the handbrake it will work whilst driving. But it is illegal. Mine is connected to the hand brake as I don't want somebody borrowing the car and wrapping it around a lamppost because they got distracted. When driving audio still works on my unit but the video is blocked with message video blocked for driver safety.

• Like 1

The 1986 Construction and Use Regulations said this:

"109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

• Like 2

Wasn't there once a case where somebody was caught watching TV and they claimed it was preventing them from falling asleep behind the wheel so therefore reach there destination safely. I don't think it ended well for them.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Obviously this directive is technologically behind the times vis 'cathode ray tubes' but still applies in regards to the rest of the terminology.

Wasn't there once a case where somebody was caught watching TV and they claimed it was preventing them from falling asleep behind the wheel so therefore reach there destination safely. I don't think it ended well for them.
Definitely not a valid excuse.

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

You can only patch video to the head unit if there are AV sockets in the centre console.
Lorry drivers face £1000 fine if caught and a ban if they are considered to be driving dangerously whilst viewing.

Can only go by what the salesman told us. If it can be viewed on a mobile or tablet screen it can be viewed on the new infotainment displays. Will this include video calling or FaceTime?

I can only guess it is the same as being able to connect my mobile device to my television and view the videos and pictures I have on that?

Whether that is via bluetooth or Usb connection in the new car I cannot say until I try it.

He did say the dealership had questioned the legality of it and presumed it may be patched out sooner or later as it became more apparent.

This was in a mk8 standard fiesta zetec i believe as it was the only new shape fiesta they had in the showroom back in August last year.

33 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Can only go by what the salesman told us. If it can be viewed on a mobile or tablet screen it can be viewed on the new infotainment displays. Will this include video calling or FaceTime?

I can only guess it is the same as being able to connect my mobile device to my television and view the videos and pictures I have on that?

Whether that is via Bluetooth or Usb connection in the new car I cannot say until I try it.

He did say the dealership had questioned the legality of it and presumed it may be patched out sooner or later as it became more apparent.

This was in a mk8 standard fiesta zetec i believe as it was the only new shape fiesta they had in the showroom back in August last year.

I think they're thinking of carplay/android auto and not understanding how it works. It's not a screen mirror but an app interface that displays through the car's screen.

It's down to Apple and Google to determine what can be played. All the default apps won't play video on auto. You have to deliberately install hacked versions to bypass the restrictions.

Ah Ok, I reckon as you say they may not have a full understanding of how the new tech worked as it was relatively new to them at the time.

We did say it was a bit odd that you could potentially be distracted by something like this, the sales guy agreed and just said he didn't think they had thought about it.

All car tech for the UK market has to be type approved for such.
No way that Ford Europe could slip such an omission through unchallenged.

Most new cars with the capability can play videos, but only while in neutral with the handbrake applied. 

• Like 2

Love videos in car while I'm driving.  Only way to stop the BF backseat driving }:-(

He has it turned towards him btw. I'm daft but not that daft!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club