Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What the hell is it here with some snow

Michael9

The country comes to farkin standstill...why!

Other countries just laugh at us and no ***** wonder, as soon as there's about an 1" or more it's panic honest to Christ :rolleyes:

I dont know if the weather folk and/or media causing it or that and because we're not used to it, Christ when you watch the likes ice rd truckers and people in Russia ect ect in youtube vids they get on with it....not here :dry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've become a nation of lightweight namby pambies with no idea of preparedness or common sense.  If people don't like something these days they whine and complain, give it a name ending in "...ist", and a bunch of lentil hugging peace hippies fall over themselves to tell them its alright.  Unfortunately, these lightweights haven't figured out that the tactic doesn't work with Mother Nature - its a part of Darwinism, and bleating about unfairness won't help them this time.

For my own part, the Nokia Allweather's on the Fusion are munching their way through the snow like its not there. Nevertheless, all my Search and Rescue gear is in the boot so if the worst happens I'm not reliant on outside help.  The emergency services have better things to do than rescue ill prepared fools who can't take advice.

• Like 6

I think us brits are just used to cold / mild cloudy weather which probably makes us moody. I'm sure a lot of us who drives on a nice warm sunny day notices they feel happy (well I notice). Lol today it took me about 30 minutes to clear my car of snow. Did worry about being late to where I was going as I was more focused on safety. I just came back and was just mucking about wheel spinning and skidding when coming up to my drive 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i learnt to drive in the snow in my late teens in an austin metro, learn skid control , car control, handbrake turns etc on an old airfield where there were small roadways with various degrees of corners and depths of snow. 

what i learnt through experimenting then , was then used on the roads . there wasnt many places i couldnt go in my cars from then on.

im confident with my ability and the cars limitations but as cars got  abs, traction control and wider tyres it makes driving in snow worse in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Tbh, I've found the opposite today...  Most relaxing drive I've had for a while, it seems all the oblivious idiots that are usually cutting people up and drifting between lanes decided to stay at home!  :biggrin: Everyone I saw was being cautious (but without being ridiculously slow) and courteous to everyone else.  Watching the news I see that wasn't the case everywhere though lol. 

Major issue here is tyres...most cars over here are on under inflated, low treaded, budget summer tyres, with dodgy tracking as well...not gonna go well in the snow.  Places that have snow all the time will either use winter tyres or socks/chains, as well as having a lot more practice at snow driving.

• Like 2

Well around my way I've seen a lot of slow driving me l love it as l learned to handle a lwb hi-cube in the snow so it doesn't bother me n l think the tyres on our focus are all weather type ? Unfortunately I can't take my essy out as still needs repairing 😠

Didn't anyone tell them it's rude to point?
[emoji8]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, lasthope said:

Meanwhile in Newcastle, the lasses wait for the bus

28279990_1787907588170154_7805376067665285596_n.jpg

not essex girls then for a change?

• Like 1

I don't see what the problem is. I still went to work in my shorts this morning as I do every other day. I guess that makes me a stereotypical northerner.

It's great fun all this snow. Built a snowman the other day as if I was 8 again. Empty car parks are also fun in this weather.

• Like 2

Well you lot don't seem like wussies we hear of the news....and as jethro said at the start, we to much of ***** nanny state....fact!

• Like 3

Today was the first time I drove in this weather. Honestly if you drive on the main road they are normally clear due to the grit lorries. I got angry at one lorry spraying grit out and hearing it hit the side of the car

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zain611 said:

I got angry at one lorry spraying grit out and hearing it hit the side of the car

and we lol if i can i turn down the nearest street id rather take an extra min or two turning around and joining the main road than take a load to the side of the car.

works car park was empty this morning and full of snow i may have pulled a cheeky handbrake skid :laugh: i would have done donuts but theres cameras and dont fancy finding another job yet.

• Like 2

I think @Jethro_Tull has got it spot on. The UK has a majority population of idiots and softies! If you don’t have the skill or the car for snow then take a bus. 

It should be compulsory to have a ‘survival’ kit in the car, you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. It’s much like the idiots that go up a mountain with nothing but a ham sandwich and a pair of flip flops and then have to be rescued

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

@Jethro_Tull

It should be compulsory to have a ‘survival’ kit in the car, you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. It’s much like the idiots that go up a mountain with nothing but a ham sandwich and a pair of flip flops and then have to be rescued

The only thing I could think of having for an emergency in the snow is a de-icer. Yesterday I took a jug with me to fill up with water just incase the car might of been covered in snow when I get back to it

I lived in northern USA for a couple of years a while back and it was common to get 2 to 3 ft of snow and life just went on.

Bear in mind that it's common in the US for people to drive 5 to 10 miles to the local store and 20 - 30 to work.

I never had any staff miss a duty due to not braving snow whereas last night my local sainsburys had no till staff because they were afraid of a couple of inches (main roads were all totally clear).

In rural areas of America it is very common for pick up owners to have their own clip-on snow ploughs and they just crack on and clear their drives and also their own roads too without making a fuss.

I say sack up and get on with it. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The problem in the UK is that we just don't see it often enough to be prepared for it. So we're nearly all still running around on summer tyres. Countries that see it often are prepared and have winter tyres on.

It's also other people not driving to the conditions that makes me want to leave the car at home, more than my own driving.

• Like 1

I had to gather speed to get back on my driveway today haha! Some people can't handle the car in these conditions I see people braking hard instead of slowly down shifting, although it is fun to watch them slide about haha 

20180301_113227.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, lasthope said:

Meanwhile in Newcastle, the lasses wait for the bus

28279990_1787907588170154_7805376067665285596_n.jpg

What times the bus, I'm SOOOO getting a ticket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zain611 said:

The only thing I could think of having for an emergency in the snow is a de-icer. Yesterday I took a jug with me to fill up with water just incase the car might of been covered in snow when I get back to it

I have a high vis vest, torch, waterproofs, hat/gloves, bottle of water, packet of biscuits, mars bar, an extra set of my morning/evening medication, pen & paper, wellies, pair of rubber mats & a shovel. Oh, and a car battery starter

sounds like a lot but itall fits in a backpack behind the passenger seat under the seat base of the Child seat

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I have a high vis vest, torch, waterproofs, hat/gloves, bottle of water, packet of biscuits, mars bar, an extra set of my morning/evening medication, pen & paper, wellies, pair of rubber mats & a shovel. Oh, and a car battery starter

sounds like a lot but itall fits in a backpack behind the passenger seat under the seat base of the Child seat

Mine is similar but far less extensive. It consists of water bottle, biscuits, high vis, shovel and a thick blanket.

The last one I found super important when I was stuck on a motorway in the snow some years ago and I was low on fuel. I was having to balance turning the engine on and off to generate heat with fuel consumption. Fortunately, the jam cleared and I was able to make it to a service station before I ran dry. I imagine it would have been pretty damn cold without a blanket!

• Like 1

I have seen a few green flag vans towing cars since these few days. 

Took a picture whilst removing the ice earlier. Was doing some cheeky skidding on my road obviously not on main or crowded roads. Applying the handbrake and braking hard obviously at very low speeds. Never knew snow could be this fun. 

_20180301_125901.JPG

30 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

my boot consists of two footballs, football boots, and hockey skates :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexBartlam said:

my boot consists of two footballs, football boots, and hockey skates :laugh:

Lol this is mine. Underneath the microfiber is a breaker bar and de-icer

DSC_0193.JPG

• Haha 1

I’ve got a first aid kit and fire extinguisher in the car at all times and there’s is a foil blanket in there. I did have a proper blanket but the dog got filthy one day so we wrapped him in it and it’s never found it’s way back out the garage. The blanket not the dog, he’s probably on our bed cosy just now 😡 

snow on a disused airfield is brilliant, it’s where I learnt how to do my handbrake turns and J turns. In the snow it always amazes me how little speed you need to carry ou these mad turns!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club