Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What the hell is it here with some snow

Michael9

Normally keep a shovel in the car when deeper snow or going up the hills sledging. 

• Like 1

battery booster, first aid kit, amber & blue magnetic strobe lights, blanket, water, jetboil camping cooker, military boil in bag food, goretex waterproofs & gaiters.
Always have a duvet jacket, hat and gloves all year round anyway.
That's in a grab bag that moves from personal car to work car as necessary.
Dogs have spare food, water and thick fleece blankets if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This is my drive today with next door insignia that hasn’t moved all week and the M62 at 9.30 this morning 92256A39-9780-4F8B-9E4F-A6EA2057527B.thumb.png.bd075f14af36ba539a7f40608f32c5a6.png41E38189-C6DC-4865-8CB6-EBC88DE2034D.thumb.jpeg.cc48df438b6e22af0060696b32718c76.jpeg

7 hours ago, dansallis said:

Mine is similar but far less extensive. It consists of water bottle, biscuits, high vis, shovel and a thick blanket.

The last one I found super important when I was stuck on a motorway in the snow some years ago and I was low on fuel. I was having to balance turning the engine on and off to generate heat with fuel consumption. Fortunately, the jam cleared and I was able to make it to a service station before I ran dry. I imagine it would have been pretty damn cold without a blanket!

I remember doing a calculation a while back, and coming to the conclusion that I could easily spend the full night with my engine and heating on (if I were to get stranded somewhere), and not even get close to running out of fuel. I think it was something like 18-24 hours easy on a full tank.

• Like 1

My emergency kit consists of beer, bottle opener, maybe a big coat/something to keep me warm and then some condoms if the mrs is with me 😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Incontro said:

I remember doing a calculation a while back, and coming to the conclusion that I could easily spend the full night with my engine and heating on (if I were to get stranded somewhere), and not even get close to running out of fuel. I think it was something like 18-24 hours easy on a full tank.

Thats actually really good to know, thanks!

You did a calculation or a very committed experiment? :tongue:

Check your average consumption at idle mine is 0.2 gallons Per hour so one gallon lasts about 5 hours so a tank of 10 gallons or so should last 2 days. 

M62 is still closed with an “indefinite “ reopening time Just been on it it’s like the apocalypse has arrived no traffic st all absolutely brilliant 

27377204-7803-4875-9385-868FE3774EE8.thumb.png.26d4f887e3a80aaaadb0abe10d6c0589.png

Was having some fun today in the uni car park doing some cheeky handbrake turns in the open areas. Someone in an astra was doing the same thing. I was also hit by a storm of grit from a lorry 😤. I turned to get closer to the side of the road but it still hit the side. 

Been tooling around in a marked 4x4 all day as my unmarked works car was a little bit too slippy for blue light jobs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Noticed a few things driving around the past few days:

• People drive really slowly, as if the snow is going to suddenly veer them sideways into the kerb at anything over 10mph.
  • People in RWD cars (Looking at you BMW, Merc and Audi) putting full beans into trying to get moving and only successfully doing doughnuts on the road
  • People who are driving a steady pace, that then slow down for a hill and get stuck.
  • Traffic lights don't mean anything when it's snowed heavily.
  • Turning the Focus ESP off, doesn't actually appear to do anything... (you can still hear it actuating and the pump kicking in).

and

Focus + Winter rubber all round has got me 40 miles from work to home, through a mix of untreated (and unpassed), semi-treated and fully treated roads including past some very expensive 4x4's that apparently get stuck in snow... and I only got stuck once where I needed a slight push!

I think this sums brits up when it snows 

7 hours ago, Micro said:

Noticed a few things driving around the past few days:

• People drive really slowly, as if the snow is going to suddenly veer them sideways into the kerb at anything over 10mph.
  • People in RWD cars (Looking at you BMW, Merc and Audi) putting full beans into trying to get moving and only successfully doing doughnuts on the road
  • People who are driving a steady pace, that then slow down for a hill and get stuck.
  • Traffic lights don't mean anything when it's snowed heavily.
  • Turning the Focus ESP off, doesn't actually appear to do anything... (you can still hear it actuating and the pump kicking in).

and

Focus + Winter rubber all round has got me 40 miles from work to home, through a mix of untreated (and unpassed), semi-treated and fully treated roads including past some very expensive 4x4's that apparently get stuck in snow... and I only got stuck once where I needed a slight push!

tell me about it!! i was following a range rover to work yesterday, and yes it was fairly untreated with drifts across roads in places but 15mph!! i ended up overtaking it in my focus with 3mm tread on my summer tyres. i wasnt having any particular problems progressing at 35/40mph. toyoya yaris drivers should be banned from the road summer or winter, sureley this model can get out of 1st gear? 

far to many drivers who shouldnt be on the road in these conditions. 

My Fusion on snow boots is proving monstrous.  My elderly neighbour has just had a knee replacement, do I ventured forth to get him some shopping.  On the way back I watched an Evoque try and fail to get up the hill near the forest.  The 12 year old Fusion went up first go, no dramas.

Be prepared, have the right kit, know what you're doing = no dramas.

Some chump on the news yesterday bleating about the ineptitude of the emergency services, after HE chose to ignore police advice not to go out, and then HE went out in inappropriate conditions, and HE chose to do so without the necessary equipment to remain safe and comfortable.  People who ignore police advice and get into grief should be sent the bill for rescuing them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

My Fusion on snow boots is proving monstrous.  My elderly neighbour has just had a knee replacement, do I ventured forth to get him some shopping.  On the way back I watched an Evoque try and fail to get up the hill near the forest.  The 12 year old Fusion went up first go, no dramas.

Be prepared, have the right kit, know what you're doing = no dramas.

Some chump on the news yesterday bleating about the ineptitude of the emergency services, after HE chose to ignore police advice not to go out, and then HE went out in inappropriate conditions, and HE chose to do so without the necessary equipment to remain safe and comfortable.  People who ignore police advice and get into grief should be sent the bill for rescuing them.

Much like how the drunks ending up at A&E wasting precious resources should get charged for their visit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Philf1 said:

Check your average consumption at idle mine is 0.2 gallons Per hour so one gallon lasts about 5 hours so a tank of 10 gallons or so should last 2 days. 

I'm not sure how accurate the idle G/H is.  My diesel is always 0.1 within a few minutes of a start (can be 0.5 at cold start with screen heaters, electric heater, lights etc all on).  But a 1 decimal place it could be anywhere between 0.05 and 0.15g/h.  So with a useable 50 litres (11 gallons), at 0.05g/h that's 220 hours...  Or nearly 10 days idling from a full tank...  :biggrin: 

Yesterday when I went back to my car to move it into the uni car park it got covered in snow in just an hour of leaving it. Took me 20 minutes to properly clear all the windows.

I park in residential areas as the uni doesn't allow students to park in their car park until after 4:30. These residential roads are hilly also. So went around the sideroad and turned back into the same road I was parked in (didn't really want to do a 3 point turn) however I turned to go up a hill. I went up it and the front wheels started to spin and the front started to ver off to the right. I stopped the car and tried to move off again but the wheels started to spin but slowly move the car. I got to the end and some guy stopped and gave me way as he saw me struggling 😂. The main roads were all clear and I had some fun in the car park. My 5 o'clock lecture got cancelled so just got water and used that to clear the windscreen and leave. 

I was a bit worried seeing the snow as in the 4 years of owning a Land Rover it waited until I traded for a Focus to snow. However quite impressed, felt a little slide that esp sorted for me, and tc kept me going up a poorly gritted hill. Felt pretty much as stable as the landy, even on cheap summer tyres. 

Was a bit milder down here but...

• Like 1

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkxVmoMgSpC8Z-tpf4nknTS1mkc

I got stuck in the snow once in my ST24 with summer tyres, after making it up a steep hill it decided the much less steep part at the top was too much. Luckily, only a 2 mins walk to my house.

So, since buying my current car in Dec 2013, I got myself a set of Focus ST250 alloys and fitted them with winter tyres, but it has never snowed since (Bath area)...until now. And wow, what a difference. My route home from work involes a few up and down hills and it made it with ease.

Dash cam video in the link.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2018 at 1:00 AM, zain611 said:

I think this sums brits up when it snows 

I rest my ***** case...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club