Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 1.25 Fiesta & Snow

Ryan77Jones

Hi All,

This is my first post so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am currently driving a 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Petrol, and I am just wondering how this particular model handles driving in snowy conditions.

I am not driving my car unless absolutely necessary as I am still a relatively inexperienced driver, especially in the snow! However there may be a time this weekend where I absolutely have to drive for personal reasons.

I understand the basics of driving in snow, and have actually done it before, but never this bad!

Any advice, or reviews from other drivers of this or similar models in snow would be greatly appreciated.

I love my little Fiesta by the way, and wouldn't change it for the world!

My car is behaving impeccably in this snow.   I have Rainsport 3 tyres on the front and I think it's down to them.

• Like 2

Accelerate gently, turn and brake smoothly and keep an eye out for shiny patches on roads that may be black ice.
Keep all windows clear of snow / ice and make sure wheel arches are clear of any slush build up that could freeze and restrict braking or steering.
I personally can tell if I'm slipping tyres by sound and feel.
Main point here though is unless you feel confident & safe or absolutely need to go out then don't.

(Advanced response trained Police Driver)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I’ve got a 2013 1.25 and was out all day today - big mistake where I am.

Fiesta is great for things like the quick clear windscreen and that, however I found the minute I hit an incline, wheels would slip about. However, the brakes have kept me alive today I can safely say, and the easy steering definitely helps.

Seriously, if you can, keep it at home/on the drive, not worth crashing etc unless you really can’t help but go out

• Like 1

Its all down to the Boots.  Last year I was slithering everywhere on Sliplops, this year I'm on Nokian Allweathers and its a different car entirely.

Get the bus, not worth the risk in this weather, fiesta or top of the range 4x4 it don't matter, someone else could come sliding into you.

I'll always try and leave my car at home and get public transport in the snow if possible. Hate driving in it. I take it really slow and have never had a bump, but hate the experience. 

Never had a 4x4. Driven a fiesta, other fwd and currently have an mx5, all seem to cope OK if you're sensible, but can't account for other drivers. 

Anyone have any thoughts on why this country cannot cope with a slight dusting of snow or ice compared to other countries? Is it simply experience, tyres, road surface? 

17 minutes ago, Matt12341234 said:

I'll always try and leave my car at home and get public transport in the snow if possible. Hate driving in it. I take it really slow and have never had a bump, but hate the experience. 

Never had a 4x4. Driven a fiesta, other fwd and currently have an mx5, all seem to cope OK if you're sensible, but can't account for other drivers. 

Anyone have any thoughts on why this country cannot cope with a slight dusting of snow or ice compared to other countries? Is it simply experience, tyres, road surface? 

I tend to agree with the argument that the other countries in question typically have snow more often and there for spend a lot more on the equipment and infrastructure to cope, whereas it would be a bit uneconomical for us to do so although i'd hate to think the impact of snow on the UK economy the last couple of days in lost productivity etc....anyhow just realised this is a bit off topic for a car forum ha. 

Busses only work if you and your destination are both on a bus route, and if they're even running...  Drove past lots of cold people waiting for busses that wouldn't arrive on Weds myself!  

Driving in a few inches of snow, slush or on ice is all about smoothness.  Be very gentle with the throttle and steering and drop a gear rather than using the footbrake where possible.  Keep the radio on low volume (for traffic reports) so you can totally focus on the feel of the car through the steering wheel, you'll know if it starts to slide sideways and can back off the accelerator and gently brake.  If you're following other cars, keep a much bigger distance than normal, stopping distances are much greater if someone did spin out in front of you for example.

I've never driven a 4x4, but have driven various FWD cars in the snow, it's not as bad as people say if you're sensible and have decent car control...it does require some restraint to go for a whole week without one blast of the throttle though, but maybe that's just me! :laugh: 

Having said that, if you're on a rural route and the snow is more than a few inches, especially if it's drifting, don't bother going, you will eventually get stuck!  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club