Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Windscreen Washers

TomsFocus

Couple of quick questions on mk3 washers...

Is there a low level sensor as standard or only with headlight washers?

What triggers the heated jets, do they come on at a certain temp or only with heated screen for example?

Had no fluid from the front washers today but don't think I've run out (was nearly full last week) and I use the premixed Halfords berry stuff so shouldn't freeze at around -3 either.  :unsure:

Your not the only one with frozen jets matey. Its a common thing as most screenwash people put in will only do -5. Time to stockup on the concentrated stuff and pour it in neat -15 😀

Even that may not help because the jets may be blocked by condensation that has frozen.

It's -10 screenwash so shouldn't freeze yet.  The jets may do, but that's the point of heated ones surely?  

39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's -10 screenwash so shouldn't freeze yet.  The jets may do, but that's the point of heated ones surely?  

I'm not sure if it's the front heated screen button or the rear heated screen button, I just press both and it unfreezes them, I use concentrated screenwash (provided by my dads recovery company) which is usable up to -30c so it doesn't freeze inside the pipes either, doesn't smell too great though. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I'm not sure if it's the front heated screen button or the rear heated screen button, I just press both and it unfreezes them, I use concentrated screenwash (provided by my dads recovery company) which is usable up to -30c so it doesn't freeze inside the pipes either, doesn't smell too great though. 

I reckon that's what it was then.  I didn't need to use the screen heaters yesterday for the first time this week.

Do you know if there's a screenwash warning on the mk3? 

As far as I know this is a Titanium X feature, I should know more in the next few weeks as I am upgrading everything on my car to Titanium X just waiting for the parts to be gathered from the breakers

If that's the case, it'll be for the headlight washers with xenon, so ST as well.  Bit annoying as I've got used to the warning on the mk2 now lol.

I add a cap-full  or two of Mouthwash that contains alcohol to my screen wash even when mixed with water to suit the temperature.  

I just scoot the Jets with anti freeze b4 setting off cos the holes always get frozen with water left in them.

Don't remember the last time I bought anti-freeze...  I paid enough for a car with heated screens and washer jets! :laugh: 

I should add, I've been driving the mk3 for a month and not had this issue before, it wasn't even that cold yesterday, had been -5c the day before and they worked fine, but I had used the heated screen that day.  

I've got st line and there is a warning on empty washers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't remember the last time I bought anti-freeze...  I paid enough for a car with heated screens and washer jets! :laugh: 

I should add, I've been driving the mk3 for a month and not had this issue before, it wasn't even that cold yesterday, had been -5c the day before and they worked fine, but I had used the heated screen that day.  

Yeh mines is a MK2 and seems like similar issues I may upgrade to the heated jets as for the windscreen will just deal with it as it's what I'm used to lol

I've seen a YouTube video of a mk3 PFL with the level sensor and without Xenon's but looking at my bumper-off pic (AC issues thread) mine doesn't have it unfortunately.

The genuine sensor is £55 so I can see why they'd leave it out if they didn't need to fit it.  Not sure why it's so expensive for a simple magnet sensor though, aftermarket's cost less than a tenner.  I wonder if the wiring is there...

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

Yeh mines is a MK2 and seems like similar issues I may upgrade to the heated jets as for the windscreen will just deal with it as it's what I'm used to lol

What spec is your mk2?  Should have heated screen and jets on that on anything Zetec and above.  In 3.5 years of the mk2 I never had frozen jets!

It's a style and defo doesn't as far as I'm aware.

8 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

It's a style and defo doesn't as far as I'm aware.

Ah ok, yeah Studio and Style are below Zetec so don't get heated front screens as standard.  :sad:

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah ok, yeah Studio and Style are below Zetec so don't get heated front screens as standard.  :sad:

It's cool never had it been brought up with older cars and always had to scrape so when I do upgrade will be a luxury lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I hope you are not adding anti-freeze to your windscreen washer solution.

32 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

I hope you are not adding anti-freeze to your windscreen washer solution.

No, most washer fluid has freeze protection in it these days, it's not actually anti-freeze though.  The one I buy should be good down to -10c.  However, I don't know what was in there when I topped it up from the previous owner, might just have been water which diluted it a bit.  I'll run this lot right out when the time comes so the next lot will be purely screenwash.

Update on this, it's -1 today and the washers worked as soon as I got in, no problem, no heating needed.  I'll assume the jets were just frozen yesterday but does seem odd there wasn't enough engine heat to melt them over two 20 minute trips lol.

On my old mk2 I used to spray up at night with pre-icer spray.

Ice stays slushy and far easier to wipe off.

No need now with heated screen, one minute and a wiper flick then I'm away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

the screenwash you got was pre-mixed so water allready added. so it will freeze when its -10. take a look at the Halfords site for 2ltr cherry concentrate screenwash. just pour the whole lot in with out adding water. there is a low screenwash warning that comes up on the dash when nearly empty. think it holds around 6ltrs

It holds 3 litres without headlight washers, 4.5 litres with headlight washers.

It wasn't -10 yesterday, so the berry should be fine.  Interesting thing about the Halfords is that's its the same stuff in both bottles...  The berry concentrate is only -10 when undiluted...  The premixed  berry is also -10...  It's a marketing gimic, 'premixed' is cheaper for the same strength. :wink:

I know the cherry is -15 but there's no chance of that here so it's not worth the extra cost for me.

What spec and year is your Focus?  It's looking like they all got the warning from around 2014, but only ones with Xenon's before that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

No, most washer fluid has freeze protection in it these days, it's not actually anti-freeze though.  The one I buy should be good down to -10c.  However, I don't know what was in there when I topped it up from the previous owner, might just have been water which diluted it a bit.  I'll run this lot right out when the time comes so the next lot will be purely screenwash.

Update on this, it's -1 today and the washers worked as soon as I got in, no problem, no heating needed.  I'll assume the jets were just frozen yesterday but does seem odd there wasn't enough engine heat to melt them over two 20 minute trips lol.

Before I started to add mouthwash and because of the position of the windscreen washer bottle on the outside of the wing with only the wing liner cover covering it the wash is always likely to freeze. The nozzles will freeze up due to the wind chill factor its only the wash coming out that is heated, but thats no good if the water is already frozen.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The premixed  berry is also -10...  It's a marketing gimic, 'premixed' is cheaper for the same strength. :wink:

I know the cherry is -15 but there's no chance of that here so it's not worth the extra cost for me.

What spec and year is your Focus?  It's looking like they all got the warning from around 2014, but only ones with Xenon's before that. 

there has been many comment on the Halfords site about the strength of the pre-mix screenwash. but i would rather not pay for the water lol, b&m shops do 1ltr rac (brand) concentrate cherry £1.49 or normal blue £1.29. my focus is 2012 titanium x. but i`m pretty sure most cars have the low water warning on them

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/diy/car-care/winter-car-care

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club