Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST-Line X 140 early impressions

Eric Bloodaxe

I may have cracked the speaker mystery. In the price list/order guide it says six Speakers, but in my original brochure from time of order it says seven, four front, two rear, one centre. So basically it's just Ford giving conflicting information in different places, not at all like them😀. But now as a Yorkshireman I'm disappointed at not getting summat for nowt!

Has anyone had text messaging work on the mk8? Text messaging and reading texts with an iPhone seems to be having issues?

We had the problem on demo of the car, the salesman/dealership said they were having issues with theirs too and were awaiting info from Ford or an update regarding the issue.

Only have a cheapie smartphone, not an iPhone, but found when I tried to display text messages it showed some from a year ago, but not ones just sent. It's not a feature I'm likely to use, so haven't investigated further.

18 hours ago, anyjungleinguy said:

Lmao. If you think the difference between an ST Line an ST boils down to a 60hp difference I’ve got a bridge to sell you 😂😂😂

What I am saying is I aren't prepared to pay nearly double we pay on insurance for an extra 60 bhp. As someone else has said we wouldn't notice the difference as we tend not to rag our cars around or try to race other either. Not worth it, not to mention the poor suspension issues that are circulating. 😂😂😂

• Like 2

Looking to put a panel filter in the mk8 also. Anyone know off hand if the filter size is the same as the mk7.5? If not I will take it out and compare, as soon as the snow has cleared away again of course.

Samsung galaxy S6 text messages work perfectly well on Sync 3  on new ST Line X !

7 hours ago, Mavroz said:

What I am saying is I aren't prepared to pay nearly double we pay on insurance for an extra 60 bhp. As someone else has said we wouldn't notice the difference as we tend not to rag our cars around or try to race other either. Not worth it, not to mention the poor suspension issues that are circulating. 😂😂😂

There’s a lot more on offer than just the BHP figure and if you think you’d need to “rag” it to notice the difference... 🤔😂😂

36 minutes ago, anyjungleinguy said:

There’s a lot more on offer than just the BHP figure and if you think you’d need to “rag” it to notice the difference... 🤔😂😂

During daily driving, what else is on offer than BHP? Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think stiffer suspension or LSDs make any difference when your average speed is around 20-25mph in a city. I did say that the extra BHP would be handy in a city regardless, but to get the full benefits of an ST, you would need to "rag" it - of course, the definition of that varies between people, but how else, aside from the BHP, would you use the extra that the ST offers? 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, if the ST was available to order in January, that's the one I'd have ordered rather than the ST Line but during my standard (and many others) commute, I highly doubt the car's full potential would be usable.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, anyjungleinguy said:

Yeah right.

Lots more on offer.

Like extra cost on insurance premiums,  higher fuel costs, higher running costs, poor suspension, higher purchase price.

Oh I forgot, an extra tailpipe, "sports" seating, and a 1.6l engine, 60bhp isn't worth the extra coatings to us I am afraid.

Yes "ragging" it from flat starts at the lights etc etc would hilight he power difference between the STlx and the ST obviously, but that's not what we want.

If we wanted an ST we certainly would have ordered one albeit in all probability a Focus St as this would be worth shouting about the extra bhp over the Fiesta.

All options were considered and when it came down to value for money, the Fiesta St didn't fall into that bracket I am afraid. The St Line and Vignale did.

The St Line suited us over the Vignale as we felt it looked a lot sleeker.

I feel I would need to keep putting the pedal to the metal to experience the extra 60 bhp yes and this for us isn't worth the fuss as we will always see it as the extra horsepower as the only thing the ST offers extra to the styling we have now. Sorry if this explanation offends but thats just how it is to us.😘😘

• Like 1

Both the ST Line and ST have their upsides and downsides, my opinion will be that during my daily use of the car, I wouldn't really benefit more from having the ST. The ST will be quicker and a better drive if you are extremely keen on driving which is great but the ST Line X with it's specification is cheaper to buy and run and unless I can be explained differently, aside from the power, as a daily drive, it won't be significantly different. On a track yes but when I'm on the A61 stuck in traffic, I'm really not bothered if I have the ST or an ST Line. 

I actually like the Recaro's in the ST's but have heard mixed opinions about their comfort. 

James May once did make a point (which I also stand by) that you have the most fun when pushing a car to it's limit, I think everyday, I'm more likely to get anywhere near that limit when in an ST Line rather than the ST as like I've said - it's a cracking car which I would have bought if available but... it's true potential will be used when on a track or on a quiet B road which I'm on about once or twice a year. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DG97 said:

This is proving to be quite the debate lol

Yeah, it all comes down to to personal choice and preference. I can only say it is akin to someone saying I prefer Man Utd to Man City or vice versa, if you know what I mean.

Power isn't really a factor to us, yes we got 140bhp models opposed to 100bhp as they was practically a couple of quid between the prices when we saw the figures offered.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Yeah, it all comes down to to personal choice and preference. I can only say it is akin to someone saying I prefer Man Utd to Man City or vice versa, if you know what I mean.

Power isn't really a factor to us, yes we got 140bhp models opposed to 100bhp as they was practically a couple of quid between the prices when we saw the figures offered.

Fully agree! Different people have different lifestyles for which a certain car will be more the right choice than the other. 

I was planning on getting the 140 from the off but initially my dealer priced up a 125 (not sure why) then it turned out the difference was like 280 quid which isn’t really much. Test drove a 125 and it was good, I think the 140 will be perfect for what I need the car to do. 

• Like 1

When I went to order my mk7.5 last April, they tried pushing a stock 125 on me for a slightly lower price. Needless to say I ordered the car I wanted. Obviously they didn't have the X variant then. Still hopefully only just a year to 18 months max until I get the phone call asking to change or re-order.

I’m buying via HP so planning on keeping the car for 6-7 years, going to pay for the warranty extension to 5 years and I’ve tailored the car to have all the options that I could want in the next few years so hoping the car will serve me well and hope you enjoy yours too!

• Like 1

Worth the extension on warranty I think I would extend it if I were keeping over 3 yrs.

Thank you, we already enjoy ours, especially the Mrs.

Ignore me guys, I’ve just got buyer’s remorse for getting a MK7 when the MK8 was round the corner 😉😂😭

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Worth the extension on warranty I think I would extend it if I were keeping over 3 yrs.

Thank you, we already enjoy ours, especially the Mrs.

It’s 350 quite for the extra 2 years (5 in total), essentially the price of a large service but I have a worry free car for at least 5 years. I’m going in on Saturday to sign off the finance and the drive away insurance and hopefully picking up between 26th and 31st so really can’t wait

2 minutes ago, anyjungleinguy said:

Ignore me guys, I’ve just got buyer’s remorse for getting a MK7 when the MK8 was round the corner 😉😂😭

Haha, at least you’ve actually got the mk7, hate to know what the wait time on the mk8 ST will be

• Like 1

Just discovered by pure fluke that I have got full Ford keyfree system, I definitely did not spec or pay for it but not complaining as it is brilliant, no more fumbling for keys in pocket. Has anyone else that did not spec this got this feature? So far I have got seven Speakers system  & keyfree system as freebies, wonder if ford have chucked in extras due to delivery delays, I waited 8 months  for car?

44 minutes ago, Mach67 said:

Just discovered by pure fluke that I have got full Ford keyfree system, I definitely did not spec or pay for it but not complaining as it is brilliant, no more fumbling for keys in pocket. Has anyone else that did not spec this got this feature? So far I have got seven speakers system  & keyfree system as freebies, wonder if ford have chucked in extras due to delivery delays, I waited 8 months  for car?

Doubt Ford would chuck in a freebie (at all) but without letting the owner know, I doubt it

1 hour ago, Mach67 said:

Just discovered by pure fluke that I have got full Ford keyfree system, I definitely did not spec or pay for it but not complaining as it is brilliant, no more fumbling for keys in pocket. Has anyone else that did not spec this got this feature? So far I have got seven speakers system  & keyfree system as freebies, wonder if ford have chucked in extras due to delivery delays, I waited 8 months  for car?

I was wondering about the keyless start/keyfree system: it seemed to be subject to some similar confusion in the specs/options as the number of Speakers. I was wondering if full keyless might have been added in by mistake before all the options were properly nailed down. Will find out what mine has on Saturday...

Yes, not sure what the full key free system is.

The dealership implied the car came with key free entry and start, which in effect it is. All you have to do is press a button on the fob to open the door and away you go.

I don't think Ford thought, this woman has been waiting 8 months for her St line X, we have a few key free entry systems spare, put one on her car as a free surprise gift.

Is the fob entry different to anyone elses?

Anyone know what the Active Grille is?

We were told the car had this by the dealer on demo but haven't got a clue what it is to be honest.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club