Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST-Line X 140 early impressions

Eric Bloodaxe

1 minute ago, Mavroz said:

Anyone know what the Active Grille is?

We were told the car had this by the dealer on demo but haven't got a clue what it is to be honest.

Is that when it can close the grille to save fuel?

4 minutes ago, Gigabit said:

Is that when it can close the grille to save fuel?

Ok, that seems a reasonable idea, didn't know the car did this either but we didn't even know it came with rear privacy glass which was a nice surprise.

• Like 1

Someone was asking about the MK8 Speakers. Think it was mentioned previously.

Now, i think the speaker system and sound quality in the MK7.5 is very good but the Mk8 is much better in my opinion.

The sound carries more bass which obviously is adjustable and again very impressive to say ours is without the B/O sound system.

• Like 1

if anyone has a race red st line, please post a load of photos, would love to have a better look at one!! also that was me asking about the standard Speakers. how does everyone find them?

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Yes, not sure what the full key free system is.

The dealership implied the car came with key free entry and start, which in effect it is. All you have to do is press a button on the fob to open the door and away you go.

I don't think Ford thought, this woman has been waiting 8 months for her St line X, we have a few key free entry systems spare, put one on her car as a free surprise gift.

Is the fob entry different to anyone elses?

Had key free on a couple of cars. When you approach the car with your fob on your person, it unlocks. You locked it by pressing a small button on the door handle and walking off smartly, otherwise it unlocks again within a few seconds. Didn't find it of any benefit TBH.

1 hour ago, jackhoppkkins said:

if anyone has a race red st line, please post a load of photos, would love to have a better look at one!! also that was me asking about the standard speakers. how does everyone find them?

Posted a few in the delivery delays thread, but there are loads of road test videos on You Tube featuring red ST-Lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Had key free on a couple of cars. When you approach the car with your fob on your person, it unlocks. You locked it by pressing a small button on the door handle and walking off smartly, otherwise it unlocks again within a few seconds. Didn't find it of any benefit TBH.

Posted a few in the delivery delays thread, but there are loads of road test videos on You Tube featuring red ST-Lines.

yeah seen em all already lol, but theres not always a lot of detail on the interior of them n stuff, just like to look at proper photos if anyone has any

10 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Yes, not sure what the full key free system is.

The dealership implied the car came with key free entry and start, which in effect it is. All you have to do is press a button on the fob to open the door and away you go.

I don't think Ford thought, this woman has been waiting 8 months for her St line X, we have a few key free entry systems spare, put one on her car as a free surprise gift.

Is the fob entry different to anyone elses?

Full key free system is a sensor on all door handles that you touch to open & close, my car definitely had this & it listed as extra in brochure.

p.s I am not a woman 👹

3 hours ago, Mach67 said:

Full key free system is a sensor on all door handles that you touch to open & close, my car definitely had this & it listed as extra in brochure.

p.s I am not a woman 👹

Sorry didn't say you was a woman, my Mrs certainly is, that is who I was referring to. 😁

Had a good drive in the car yesterday, first time really since we collected it.

As I previously thought the engine seems very revvy, not as nice a noise as the mk7.5. Something to do with the 6 speed box?

The acceleration also doesn't seem as aggressive. You don't seem to get the turbo kick of the 7.5. The mk8 (140) is nippy don't get me wrong. This is even more evident with the eco mode/button pressed which seems to reduce the power considerably.

The mk8 seems to have a wider turning circle also. 

Brakes, with the all round calipers seem much more efficient. Very sharp and stops very quickly.

Never noticed the footplate / rest next to the clutch pedal until yesterday. Nice touch.

Seat lumbar supports do it for me. Very comfortable, even the passenger side has them.

Sound system as has been discussed elsewhere is very good with out all the B&O extras. Very impressed with this, much better than the mk7.5.

Car is still bedding I so haven't really looked at the economy/mpg, although it isn't really an issue for the miles we do. Car was brimmed with fuel when we collected it 2 weeks ago and there is still over a quarter of a tank left.

Not had a great play with the infotainment yet, Will have a play asap and get the android connected and see what the difference is between Apple. Will report back when I get chance to do this.

The St line is a very good car and made much much better with the all the extras that come with the X.

I followed a new mk8 the other day and my headlights caught the underneath at the back, I think I noticed that it’s got independent rear suspension rather that the beam axle the mk7 had?

Should make the handling a little better?

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

As I previously thought the engine seems very revvy, not as nice a noise as the mk7.5. Something to do with the 6 speed box?

The acceleration also doesn't seem as aggressive. You don't seem to get the turbo kick of the 7.5. The mk8 (140) is nippy don't get me wrong. This is even more evident with the eco mode/button pressed which seems to reduce the power considerably.

Brakes, with the all round calipers seem much more efficient. Very sharp and stops very quickly.

Never noticed the footplate / rest next to the clutch pedal until yesterday. Nice touch.

Seat lumbar supports do it for me. Very comfortable, even the passenger side has them.

Sound system as has been discussed elsewhere is very good with out all the B&O extras. Very impressed with this, much better than the mk7.5.

Car is still bedding I so haven't really looked at the economy/mpg, although it isn't really an issue for the miles we do. Car was brimmed with fuel when we collected it 2 weeks ago and there is still over a quarter of a tank left.

Not had a great play with the infotainment yet, Will have a play asap and get the android connected and see what the difference is between Apple. Will report back when I get chance to do this.

The St line is a very good car and made much much better with the all the extras that come with the X.

How has the car coped with the wet and horrible weather? Also what about the ride quality? I understand it is on sports suspension so it should be firm but is it so firm that you feel every rock and crack in the road? Hoping the ride is not as firm as the Mini Cooper. My brother has one and it can be awful!

39 minutes ago, RobA said:

I followed a new mk8 the other day and my headlights caught the underneath at the back, I think I noticed that it’s got independent rear suspension rather that the beam axle the mk7 had?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is a torsion beam setup

Not sure on suspensions, don't know much about them that could be helpful.

The Mrs says the car drives very well in the wet and handles well. The Esp and traction control do a great job. Even my mk7.5 was helpful in the ice and snow. Messing around down the street, flooring the accelerator, it flashes the lights on the dash and either reduces the power etc to stop the car the spinni g and sliding. Both are very good at this.

Ride quality .... Both are very good. All I can say is the mk7.5 maybe a bit noisier. The tyre size on the 17 inch alloys is the same but the mk7.5 has Continental tyres that seem a lot lower profile than the mk8 Michelin tyres. Maybe this is reducing the road noise in her car.

The suspension is very stiff on both cars but is very well set up. No you don't get a lot of bounce going over a speedbump etc but they both seem to make up for this in cornering etc.

Not sure what the compass is for on the dash option of the mk8, especially when the car has nav.😄

Haven't touched the cruise control yet, frightening amount of buttons etc on the mk8 steering wheel..  need to have a couple more hrs in it when she isn't using it. 

Finally picked up my red St-Line X 140 yesterday. It's a very nice car. 

Looks sensational in real life, even the rear end which I thought pretty bland looks good, muscular and aggressive to match the front. Standard alloys are beautiful. 

Interior very good. Seats extremely comfortable with excellent lateral and lumbar support, can get a really nice driving position with all the adjustment. Leather is perfectly decent. Steering wheel has lovely quality feel.

I've got the bonus centre speaker on the dash but no surprise free keyless entry.

Panoramic roof is lovely. Makes the cabin so light and airy and looks great. Spare wheel well is empty so I shall be sticking my old spare from the last fiesta in there.

Tech all seems good and just works as far as I can tell. I was initially ***** off to discover that spotify no longer supports the Ford App Link, which was a key selling point for me. Turns out that if you manually reinstall an older version of Spotify on your phone, it all works fine.

Comfortable quiet smooth drive with nice steering feedback, very pointy, grippy. Sounds good, still running in but seems nicely brisk.

Overall, delighted so far.

10 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Although it's early days yet, I was also thinking the car had a bit less "go" to it than I remember from my drives in Mk 7.5 Ecoboosts - glad it's not just me getting this impression. I spotted an item the other day highlighting the real world emissions of the Ecoboost Fiesta. Ford's response was that changes had been made to the latest version, wondered if that may be something to do with it.

Also finding the turning circle seems larger than I remember.

Brakes are certainly sharp, though mine are getting  a bit more controllable as they bed in.

Unfortunately I'm still not thrilled with the seats, as I mentioned in an earlier post my back is a big problem and has often led to me having to swap a car I otherwise like, hoping that's not going to be the case here. Funny thing is, I was trying a friend's Titanium the other day, and had no probs, but apart from the "leather" bits (still find it hard to believe it's real!), could see no major differences in the two seats.

7 hours ago, RobA said:

Had a grovel about under mine, definitely got a torsion beam under there!

One other minor issue. Expected the clock to have changed automatically this morning but it says it takes no account of daylight saving time and I had to do it manually. Only one arrow to press, so no big deal, but with all the tech on board it seemed odd - or am I missing something as usual??!

On 14/03/2018 at 1:04 PM, Jonson said:

Best guess is the roof / spare wheel issue is down to a weight / specification technicality. I have heard that wheel well is still present and empty with the panoramic roof, so I have taken a punt and ordered the roof with the intention of adding my own spare wheel. Will find out the result in 10 days...

24 minutes ago, Jonson said:

Panoramic roof is lovely. Makes the cabin so light and airy and looks great. Spare wheel well is empty so I shall be sticking my old spare from the last fiesta in there.

Good to see that your punt on the wheel well came off!😀

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Good to see that your punt on the wheel well came off!😀

Thank you :smile:

Have to agree the mk8.5 doesn't have the "GO", the 7.5 has, the turning circle is definitely wider.

Seats for us are very comfortable but this is a personal thing and not everyone's the same with their comfort.

Not sure on the mk8 clock changing automatically. Thought it may when connected to Wi-Fi.

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I was trying a friend's Titanium the other day, and had no probs, but apart from the "leather" bits (still find it hard to believe it's real!), could see no major differences in the two seats

Might be BS but a dealer told me apart from the Vignale the leather isn't"real"  - which is what caused all the delays as it wasn't good enough.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:42 PM, Jonson said:

Finally picked up my red St-Line X 140 yesterday. It's a very nice car. 

Looks sensational in real life, even the rear end which I thought pretty bland looks good, muscular and aggressive to match the front. Standard alloys are beautiful. 

Interior very good. Seats extremely comfortable with excellent lateral and lumbar support, can get a really nice driving position with all the adjustment. Leather is perfectly decent. Steering wheel has lovely quality feel.

I've got the bonus centre speaker on the dash but no surprise free keyless entry.

Tech all seems good and just works as far as I can tell. I was initially ***** off to discover that spotify no longer supports the Ford App Link, which was a key selling point for me. Turns out that if you manually reinstall an older version of Spotify on your phone, it all works fine.

Comfortable quiet smooth drive with nice steering feedback, very pointy, grippy. Sounds good, still running in but seems nicely brisk.

Overall, delighted so far.

oh really? is this something that might get fixed do you know? (I havnt had a ford yet, I assume "ford app link" is where u can play/control on the dash through bluetooth rather than having to plug your phone into apple car play every time you get in??). If so then thats really annoying cos im in the same boat as you with that being a key seller.

15 hours ago, Mavroz said:

////////////

Not sure on the mk8 clock changing automatically. Thought it may when connected to Wi-Fi.

I think the clock gets it's signal from GPS which doesn't support BST.

3 hours ago, jackhoppkkins said:

oh really? is this something that might get fixed do you know? (I havnt had a ford yet, I assume "ford app link" is where u can play/control on the dash through bluetooth rather than having to plug your phone into apple car play every time you get in??). If so then thats really annoying cos im in the same boat as you with that being a key seller.

Yep the app link gives you pretty much full spotify functionality on the touchscreen over bluetooth, automatically connects with your phone - it's great and works really well. I'm using an older version of spotify to make it work, can't see any downsides to doing this at the moment. No idea if it will get reinstated in a future update.

Drove it in the dark for the first time yesterday - really amazed by the auto high beam function. It just works perfectly; I was expecting it to be a flaky gimmick that you would need to override.

Yeah it is pretty good. Haven't come across a motorbike or cyclist yet I don't think....:smile:

17 hours ago, Jonson said:

Yep the app link gives you pretty much full spotify functionality on the touchscreen over bluetooth, automatically connects with your phone - it's great and works really well. I'm using an older version of spotify to make it work, can't see any downsides to doing this at the moment. No idea if it will get reinstated in a future update.

I will have to look into re downloading an older version too then as I cba to plug my phone into apple car play everytime I get in my car lol