Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST-Line X 140 early impressions

Eric Bloodaxe

On 26/03/2018 at 5:08 AM, Mavroz said:

Have to agree the mk8.5 doesn't have the "GO", the 7.5 has, the turning circle is definitely wider.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought the same. But just been looking up some old Autocar tests and they measured the original Mk 7 at 10.2m, and the Mk 8 at 10.1m, so effectively the same. It just feels more, somehow! 

Yes it feels and seems a lot wider. A couple of the corners coming of roundabouts where I live are quite sharp. Doesn't seem an issue in my car but hers seems to sweep around, halfway in the opposite lane if you are not careful?

Wouldnt really know where to.look but anyone know the 0 to 60 times for the mk7.5 140bhp and the mk8 140bhp? The mk8 definitely seems a lot more sluggish on the acceleration and seems (as said previously) a bit tinny and whiney opposed to the deeper mk7.5.

12 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Wouldnt really know where to.look but anyone know the 0 to 60 times for the mk7.5 140bhp and the mk8 140bhp? The mk8 definitely seems a lot more sluggish on the acceleration and seems (as said previously) a bit tinny and whiney opposed to the deeper mk7.5.

This is the sort of info that I find interesting - I try and keep copies of any "fully figured" road Tests for future reference, very handy to put your mind at rest when thinking "I'm sure my old wotsit was quicker than this" etc.

The only people who seem to do these sort of tests are Autocar and VW Driver/Audi Driver, the latter not being any use if you want info on a Ford of course. Only Fiesta Ecoboost I can find having been tested was the Mk 8 125ps in Autocar last year, which doesn't really help.

If anyone does know of some detailed test reports, please post them up.

50 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This is the sort of info that I find interesting - I try and keep copies of any "fully figured" road Tests for future reference, very handy to put your mind at rest when thinking "I'm sure my old wotsit was quicker than this" etc.

The only people who seem to do these sort of tests are Autocar and VW Driver/Audi Driver, the latter not being any use if you want info on a Ford of course. Only Fiesta Ecoboost I can find having been tested was the Mk 8 125ps in Autocar last year, which doesn't really help.

If anyone does know of some detailed test reports, please post them up.

Here is a Comparison test between the MK8 Fiesta Vignale 5DR and an F56 Mini Cooper 5DR.

Although it is 'only' a Vignale model, it does have the 1.0 140ps Ecoboost. The Mini has the 1.5 T 3Cyl. Interesting results which suprised me if I am honest.

@Eric Bloodaxe @Mavroz

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/102975/ford-fiesta-vignale-vs-mini-cooper-5dr

• Like 1

Interesting read, thank you.

34 minutes ago, kpdsk13 said:

Here is a Comparison test between the MK8 Fiesta Vignale 5DR and an F56 Mini Cooper 5DR.

Although it is 'only' a Vignale model, it does have the 1.0 140ps Ecoboost. The Mini has the 1.5 T 3Cyl. Interesting results which suprised me if I am honest.

@Eric Bloodaxe @Mavroz

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/102975/ford-fiesta-vignale-vs-mini-cooper-5dr

Good stuff, thank you. Now if we can only find one for the earlier version.......

Must say, at that price point I might go for the MINI also ( though even the ST-Line X 5door  is now only £60 short of £20k at list) - if I could live with the looks!

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the time appear on the small screen on the dash - next to the speedometer?

The temperature is there but it would seem more logical to have the time there, I enjoy turning my 8 inch screen off when driving so would be nice to see the time somewhere.

54 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Good stuff, thank you. Now if we can only find one for the earlier version......

Found one! Auto Express 1 April 2016 Vs Ibiza FR. Couldn't get a link to work but relative figures for Mk 8/Mk 7.5 Fiestas are:

0-60 Mk 8 9.3secs (Mk 7.5 8.7)

30-50 in 3rd 4.0 (3.7)

30-50 in 4th 5.4 (5.0)

50-70 in 3rd 7.5 (7.2)

50-70 in 6th 10.0 (n/a)

Comparing a 5 speed with a 6 speed of course, but the earlier version would appear to have a slight edge.

17 minutes ago, nsw1995 said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the time appear on the small screen on the dash - next to the speedometer?

The temperature is there but it would seem more logical to have the time there, I enjoy turning my 8 inch screen off when driving so would be nice to see the time somewhere.

Yes, I've been trying to find a way to do that also, with no success so far. On my previous car you could display just the time on an otherwise blank screen.

22 minutes ago, nsw1995 said:

Not sure, may say in the manual. The time is on the screen, just leave that on?

15 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Found one! Auto Express 1 April 2016 Vs Ibiza FR. Couldn't get a link to work but relative figures for Mk 8/Mk 7.5 Fiestas are:

0-60 Mk 8 9.3secs (Mk 7.5 8.7)

30-50 in 3rd 4.0 (3.7)

30-50 in 4th 5.4 (5.0)

50-70 in 3rd 7.5 (7.2)

50-70 in 6th 10.0 (n/a)

Comparing a 5 speed with a 6 speed of course, but the earlier version would appear to have a slight edge.

Thanks for finding that info Eric, it really does seem like a much bigger difference  between the 2 than that. Even bigger with the eco mode selected.

I seem to notice it straight away with driving my car all week and hers on a Saturday if I get a chance. The Mrs even agrees there does seem like a lack of oomph or acceleration between the 2.

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Good stuff, thank you. Now if we can only find one for the earlier version.......

Must say, at that price point I might go for the MINI also ( though even the ST-Line X 5door  is now only £60 short of £20k at list) - if I could live with the looks!

Those price figures are misleading - I was going to go for a mini cooper but when spec'd anywhere close to the kit on an St line X the price gets out of control. 

1 hour ago, Matt12341234 said:

Those price figures are misleading - I was going to go for a mini cooper but when spec'd anywhere close to the kit on an St line X the price gets out of control. 

You're quite right - Minis can get very silly if you tick all the boxes! However, being a bit of a dinosaur I could happily live without a lot of the stuff and the Mini does allow you more or less to get just the bits you do want, although I have found if you're talking PCP the salesman will try to steer you into various options as I suppose it makes a better proposition for them to sell on in 3 years time.

Meant to add - still can't get past the looks of the latest generation of Mini either, especially the 5 door!

Today I picked up my Fiesta ST Line 140ps in Race Red. I have covered today over 150 miles (unintentionally, forgot some crucial documents at home when I went to the dealership). I have travelled up and down the M25, down some congested B Roads and through inner city west London so I feel like I have got some grasp of its general characteristics.

A bit of context, I had a VW Polo before this Fiesta and have never owned a Ford before. I got rid of my Polo due to the 💩 PCP deal I got on it which meant I was too far the wrong way to ever break even, despite being nearly 3 years into a 4 year deal. Also the Polo had the handling of a wheelie bin, steering was numb, changing gear was like having a fight with the gearbox (overly notchy in all the wrong places), woefully underpowered and I could go on. Quality materials though. 

So back to the Ford:

Exterior: I think it looks great. 17" rims are nice too. 

Interior: Its good for its class! I test drove a SEAT Ibiza late last year and one thing which put me off was the awful quality of plastics all over. Yes, the Fiesta has some scratchy plastics (interior door handles) but it generally feels solidly built. Also its very refined inside the cabin. Wind noise is not as bad as Auto Express and all the other 'car experts' would have you believe. Standard Speakers a very good. A hell of a lot better than standard VAG group Speakers. SYNC 3 system will take some time to get used to but it is intuitive. 

Drive: Fantastic for a 1.0! I am running it in, so havent put my foot down or really revved it but the engine is a gem. Has a fair bit of torque too but I feel like with this engine it gets stronger higher up the rev range. It feels like it has an overboost? Gearbox is sweet, handles really well and feels substantial on the motorway.

Will post more about my impressions of the car when it isnt either raining, congested and I have an open road in front of me

• Like 1

Good to see another enjoying their car. Is it the "X" you have? If so what do you think of the auto Main Beam? Still don't think it dips for motorbikes....

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Good to see another enjoying their car. Is it the "X" you have? If so what do you think of the auto Main Beam? Still don't think it dips for motorbikes....

It is a great car! 

I have a boggo ST Line so I dont have the functions of the X. Wish I could have been patient to wait for one. They said I would have to wait until July and I was impatient haha

• Like 1

Just got back from a couple of days at the top of the Yorkshire Dales, first chance to try the car on some familiar "challenging" roads - poor surfaces, off camber bends, hidden dips and crests etc etc. After finding the ride a bit jiggly near home, I was pleased to see it coped very well indeed, and never seemed short of go for the odd cheeky overtake even within my self imposed "running in" regime (still only done 600 miles.)

Beginning to think it does perform as well as previous version, maybe doesn't feel it due to improved refinement. Likewise there is a lot of talent in the chassis, perhaps some of the "playfulness" has been replaced with a more grown up feel, but it still does the business.

Remain very impressed with the traffic sign recognition, though lost GPS signal on way home (see separate thread), other tech still not so sure. Reverse camera/sensors work well when clean, but after a 70 mile drive on roads that were not THAT filthy, both were covered in crud and useless, likewise on the return journey after a thorough wash in between.

Jury still out on the seat, but didn't have too much of a problem over the weekend, maybe dodging cyclists, caravans, tractors etc kept me occupied and took my mind off it.

Fuel consumption still hovering around 45 mpg which is about what I was expecting TBH, hope it might nudge up a bit if I do a long steady run without the aforementioned obstacles!

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just got back from a couple of days at the top of the Yorkshire Dales, first chance to try the car on some familiar "challenging" roads - poor surfaces, off camber bends, hidden dips and crests etc etc. After finding the ride a bit jiggly near home, I was pleased to see it coped very well indeed, and never seemed short of go for the odd cheeky overtake even within my self imposed "running in" regime (still only done 600 miles.)

Beginning to think it does perform as well as previous version, maybe doesn't feel it due to improved refinement. Likewise there is a lot of talent in the chassis, perhaps some of the "playfulness" has been replaced with a more grown up feel, but it still does the business.

Remain very impressed with the traffic sign recognition, though lost GPS signal on way home (see separate thread), other tech still not so sure. Reverse camera/sensors work well when clean, but after a 70 mile drive on roads that were not THAT filthy, both were covered in crud and useless, likewise on the return journey after a thorough wash in between.

Jury still out on the seat, but didn't have too much of a problem over the weekend, maybe dodging cyclists, caravans, tractors etc kept me occupied and took my mind off it.

Fuel consumption still hovering around 45 mpg which is about what I was expecting TBH, hope it might nudge up a bit if I do a long steady run without the aforementioned obstacles!

Good to see further impressions over different roads! I recently went down from London to Bognor (covered too many miles since Thursday haha), it really did shock me how refined it is whilst at a cruise around 70mph. Like you, I am refraining from giving it a good boot, so I am short shifting a lot but this car does shift! Very tempting to just throw it about and good fun.

I did find it a bit jiggly as well driving through London, but not uncomfortable. My area has quite a few potholes and I feel it a lot more in comparison to what I was driving before. But it never feels unsettled at all. In fact it takes it in its stride.

Where on the seat do you find it uncomfortable? Is it the middle, lower part or upper part?

Also I really do not know how you are getting 45mpg! I am getting 39-40mpg on avg consumption, which I thought was good! Then again, I have been in a fair bit of stop/start traffic.

1 hour ago, kpdsk13 said:

Where on the seat do you find it uncomfortable? Is it the middle, lower part or upper part?

Also I really do not know how you are getting 45mpg! I am getting 39-40mpg on avg consumption, which I thought was good! Then again, I have been in a fair bit of stop/start traffic.

Seat - see page 1 of this thread for fuller comments. Bear in mind I do have a long term back problem, also the part leather seats seem to have a bit less "give" than the full cloth ones I have tried, so they may bed in more in time - hope so!

Mpg - the fact you're in London and I'm in North Yorkshire may have a lot to do with it!😀

Anyone know if climate control can be controlled via voice on sync 3 as looks like you can do this on new Focus & Mondeo. I am pretty sure the answer is no as cc is not on sync 3 touchscreen on the fiesta but do not understand why as ford  gives us  full cc but no access via sync to control it.

13 minutes ago, Mach67 said:

Anyone know if climate control can be controlled via voice on sync 3 as looks like you can do this on new Focus & Mondeo. I am pretty sure the answer is no as cc is not on sync 3 touchscreen on the fiesta but do not understand why as ford  gives us  full cc but no access via sync to control it.

According to my owners manual (p276), you can control the temperature by voice command.

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

According to my owners manual (p276), you can control the temperature by voice command.

I was going to ask the same question - Even though it says it, I tried and it doesn't work.

To be honest, it's not a problem, as I always shave Apple CarPlay on, so I couldn't use it when i'm using that anyway.

Snap! I just tried it out of curiosity - no joy. It does say in the manual "if equipped", though I couldn't see anything in the order guide about this feature.

Not an issue for me either - when I get a new car I set the temperature to 18C, switch on "Auto" and leave it alone after that! Funny though, some years ago I had a Mk 7 Titanium which did have this feature, though I bought it nearly new so don't know if it was standard.