Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST-Line X 140 early impressions

Eric Bloodaxe

judging by the name of the forum im guessing nobody is likely to have a 125, but in comparison to the 140, has any one driven or got a 125? if so does it still have a similar bit of power? I have the 125 on order and just dont want to feel like ive regretted not getting the 140..

Obviously the mk8 ,140 will be faster. Why not just get the 140 setup in the 1st place? I made these mistakes in the past, wishing I had had this engine or this pack added, regretting it in the end.

I can only comment on my mk7.5. We had a 140 and 125 at the same time and the 140 left the 125 begging in acceleration, engine sound etc etc.

I believe the mk8's have the same turbo etc etc now so the difference may not be too noticable.

Have you driven a 140? If not, you won't know what you're missing anyway. I had a 125 zetec S (140 wasn't available at the time) and always thought it was plenty quick enough 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jackhoppkkins said:

judging by the name of the forum im guessing nobody is likely to have a 125, but in comparison to the 140, has any one driven or got a 125? if so does it still have a similar bit of power? I have the 125 on order and just dont want to feel like ive regretted not getting the 140..

I drove the 125 for a test drive, even though I knew the 140 was the one I wanted to order (and have now).

In my opinion it has a slightly different character to the 140: it just lacks the sparkle. The 140 has a bit more torque and pulls harder to the red line. It is quite remarkable the difference 15ps makes. 

In short: given the fact you are uncertain about which one to choose, dont settle for the 125. Go for 140. You wont regret it!

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 4:33 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Slightly more serious potential issue for me. I initially reported decent comfort after a lot of fiddling but having spent more time in the car now I'm not so sure. I should add at this point that I suffer from chronic back problems so what is an issue to me won't necessarily be a problem for others! Kept feeling that the edges of my back were resting on the seat bolsters stopping the middle of my back properly reaching the centre of the backrest and thus not properly supported. My wife has a SEAT Mii (VW Up! clone) which I drive regularly and have no problem with. Today I took a tape measure to both cars and found in the Fiesta the distance between bolsters at the widest part of the seat backrest was 12", on the Mii it's 13.5".

Funny thing is I never had a problem with the Mk 7 we had for 3 years, wondered if anyone would be kind enough to measure their Mk 7 or 7.5 seat  to check the width between bolsters, also same thing on Mk 8 (if anyone's got theirs yet!) just to see if mine is as it should be, taking account of the issues with seats/leather that have allegedly been causing all the delays. Thanks.

Managed to try out friend's Mk 7.5 Zetec today and found it much more comfortable than mine. Sure enough when we measured the seat it was a good inch or so wider between the bolsters on the backrest. So I now need to measure some Mk 8 ST Lines and see if mine is to spec or not. At least I've proved to myself I'm not going nuts - the Mrs is not so sure!

I did drive the 140 ages ago yes. and I cannot change it to 140 as it has already been built. I am not too fussed about the difference, as coming from a 2012 1 litre 69hp citreon c1, anything is going to feel more powerful than that. I just was curious as to weather there was a lot of difference between the 125 and 140. the only reason I went for the 125 was becase I added a lot of extras onto it and its the X model so its fairly expensive, and I am only 20, so I dont have loads of money - so I thought i would just go down the middle with the engine to save a little bit of money. like i say, just curious as to how much different the 140 would feel to the 125. I watched the new car wow review of the new fiesta last night, and as it happens, the guy doing the review mentions that you wouldnt notice much difference between the 125 and 140

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Managed to try out friend's Mk 7.5 Zetec today and found it much more comfortable than mine. Sure enough when we measured the seat it was a good inch or so wider between the bolsters on the backrest. So I now need to measure some Mk 8 ST Lines and see if mine is to spec or not. At least I've proved to myself I'm not going nuts - the Mrs is not so sure!

So nipped into my local dealer this morning armed with my tape measure, much to their amusement. 2 ST-Line Xs they had in stock had exactly the same seat dimensions as mine, so it looks like it really is a case of "they're all like that, Sir"! At least I've now satisfied myself that I haven't got a misbuild with all the seat problems on this model.

On 28/03/2018 at 12:56 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Relative figures for Mk 8/Mk 7.5 Fiestas are:

0-60 Mk 8 9.3secs (Mk 7.5 8.7) 125: 9.6

30-50 in 3rd 4.0 (3.7) 125: 5.1

30-50 in 4th 5.4 (5.0) 125: 7.0

50-70 in 3rd 7.5 (7.2) 125: 6.1

50-70 in 6th 10.0 (n/a) 125: 13.2

Comparing a 5 speed with a 6 speed of course, but the earlier version would appear to have a slight edge.

1 hour ago, jackhoppkkins said:

I did drive the 140 ages ago yes. and I cannot change it to 140 as it has already been built. I am not too fussed about the difference, as coming from a 2012 1 litre 69hp citreon c1, anything is going to feel more powerful than that. I just was curious as to weather there was a lot of difference between the 125 and 140. the only reason I went for the 125 was becase I added a lot of extras onto it and its the X model so its fairly expensive, and I am only 20, so I dont have loads of money - so I thought i would just go down the middle with the engine to save a little bit of money. like i say, just curious as to how much different the 140 would feel to the 125. I watched the new car wow review of the new fiesta last night, and as it happens, the guy doing the review mentions that you wouldnt notice much difference between the 125 and 140

Have tweaked my earlier post on this topic (above) to include Autocar's test results for a 125 Titanium. From test drives  I have had, I didn't find drastic differences in 100/125/140 for normal day to day driving (the 140 only has 10nm more torque), the advantage the 140 does have is at the top end, and the lower overall gearing lets it exploit this. A lot depends on what kind of driver you are and where you drive, individual cars also vary. (I had an Audi A3 2.0tdi 140 PS for some years, the service dept were always suspicious I'd had it chipped, but it was just a good'un!).

I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your 125, and there's always something to look forward to next time!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Have tweaked my earlier post on this topic (above) to include Autocar's test results for a 125 Titanium. From test drives  I have had, I didn't find drastic differences in 100/125/140 for normal day to day driving (the 140 only has 10nm more torque), the advantage the 140 does have is at the top end, and the lower overall gearing lets it exploit this. A lot depends on what kind of driver you are and where you drive, individual cars also vary. (I had an Audi A3 2.0tdi 140 PS for some years, the service dept were always suspicious I'd had it chipped, but it was just a good'un!).

I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of your 125, and there's always something to look forward to next time!

thank you for the reassurance!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackhoppkkins said:

thank you for the reassurance!

To be honest mate, you'll love the 125. I test drove the 125 as the 140 wasn't available for a drive. In everyday driving, I can't recall any difference between that and my 140. The car itself is a fantastic drive, grips really well, is a comfortable drive on boring journeys and overall is a pleasure to own, and you get all that regardless of having the 125 or the 140 :tongue:

Mine is on just over 650 miles at the moment so still haven't properly floored it to gauge the performance but the moments I have needed a bit of performance, the 140 is a pretty competent performer. With the 125, you'll have a little less top end performance at your disposal but the difference isn't big enough to warrant caring lol 

Hope you get yours soon dude! And I hope (and know judging by how good they are) that you enjoy it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DG97 said:

To be honest mate, you'll love the 125. I test drove the 125 as the 140 wasn't available for a drive. In everyday driving, I can't recall any difference between that and my 140. The car itself is a fantastic drive, grips really well, is a comfortable drive on boring journeys and overall is a pleasure to own, and you get all that regardless of having the 125 or the 140 :tongue:

Mine is on just over 650 miles at the moment so still haven't properly floored it to gauge the performance but the moments I have needed a bit of performance, the 140 is a pretty competent performer. With the 125, you'll have a little less top end performance at your disposal but the difference isn't big enough to warrant caring lol 

Hope you get yours soon dude! And I hope (and know judging by how good they are) that you enjoy it!

thanks a lot mate, appreciate those words of wisdom haha. not too much longer now, past the 1 month to go mark 🙏🏻

• Like 1

I came from a 125 titanium 7.5 having previously having a 125 Zetec S. After 2 years driving round in the titanium I missed how the Zetec S drove. Although they were both the same power the way they handled was completely different. I have had the mk8 140 ST Line X for about 4 weeks now and am very impressed with the car. 

Options are 

Race Red

Black Roof and Mirrors

B&O Play

Key Free System

Red Pack interior.

I am yet to see another one on the road with same spec (red with black roof). I think it sets it off very nice

I am impressed with the 140 engine and 6 speed box. Currently on 950 miles and it’s loosened up lovely. 

1 hour ago, cswalmsley said:

Currently on 950 miles and it’s loosened up lovely. 

Coincidentally I clicked over the 1,000 mile mark this morning. It's taken longer than I anticipated due to lousy weather for the first month or so after delivery on 1 March. Must say it's been feeling........ just nicer somehow over the last few miles as everything is bedding in.😀

1 hour ago, cswalmsley said:

I came from a 125 titanium 7.5 having previously having a 125 Zetec S. After 2 years driving round in the titanium I missed how the Zetec S drove. Although they were both the same power the way they handled was completely different. I have had the mk8 140 ST Line X for about 4 weeks now and am very impressed with the car. 

Options are 

Race Red

Black Roof and Mirrors

B&O Play

Key Free System

Red Pack interior.

I am yet to see another one on the road with same spec (red with black roof). I think it sets it off very nice

I am impressed with the 140 engine and 6 speed box. Currently on 950 miles and it’s loosened up lovely. 

mine is due to be the red with black door mirrors and roof too when it arrives. loooking forward to seeing what it looks like, as i haven’t really seen any on the road

• 2 weeks later...

Done around 100 miles in mine now. Lovely car, nice and refined and enjoying the tech. 

My only niggles are the metal on the gear knob means it's very cold in the hand first thing in the morning, 1st gear seems to lack the grunt of my old 7.5, and whilst the seats look stunning I can't seem to get comfortable. I've seen others mention they seem quite narrow between the bolsters and I'd have to agree, and I'm by no means 'big boned'. 

On 22/04/2018 at 3:37 PM, jackhoppkkins said:

mine is due to be the red with black door mirrors and roof too when it arrives. loooking forward to seeing what it looks like, as i haven’t really seen any on the road

I have the Red with the black roof/mirrors and love the way it looks.

IMG_20180131_222904(1).jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FiestaAndy said:

I have the Red with the black roof/mirrors and love the way it looks.

IMG_20180131_222904(1).jpg

looks beaut. what do you think of it so far? is it the 140?

Yes Jack it's the 140. Having came to this car from a mk7.5 red edition (again 140) they are considerably more different to drive than I expected. The new mk8 just doesn't feel quite as light and sporty, but feels more planted on the road if that makes sense. Overall though it feels like more of a quality product and wouldn't swap it back for my old one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FiestaAndy said:

Yes Jack it's the 140. Having came to this car from a mk7.5 red edition (again 140) they are considerably more different to drive than I expected. The new mk8 just doesn't feel quite as light and sporty, but feels more planted on the road if that makes sense. Overall though it feels like more of a quality product and wouldn't swap it back for my old one.

thats good news, glad you're enjoying it. think I heard that its cos the new one has a longer and wider wheel base which is why it feels more sturdy and less light & sporty. I am upgrading from a 2012 C1 to a race red ST Line X 125, so I am in for quite an exicitng upgrade! 

2 minutes ago, jackhoppkkins said:

thats good news, glad you're enjoying it. think I heard that its cos the new one has a longer and wider wheel base which is why it feels more sturdy and less light & sporty. I am upgrading from a 2012 C1 to a race red ST Line X 125, so I am in for quite an exicitng upgrade! 

I'm absolutely positive you'll luv it Jack, and the 125ps is no slouch either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

Done around 100 miles in mine now. Lovely car, nice and refined and enjoying the tech. 

My only niggles are the metal on the gear knob means it's very cold in the hand first thing in the morning, 1st gear seems to lack the grunt of my old 7.5, and whilst the seats look stunning I can't seem to get comfortable. I've seen others mention they seem quite narrow between the bolsters and I'd have to agree, and I'm by no means 'big boned'. 

Sorry to see you're also having problems with the seat etc. I am also far from a big chap, though as mentioned in other posts I have long term back issues which obviously others will not share. Agree with you on the gear knob, also I find the steering wheel rim (which I know others praise, car comfort is such a personal thing!) quite "squidgy" and not that pleasant to use.

In this instance and due to non-availabilty of ST-Line demos, I broke my usual rule of test driving the exact model before buying. I was influenced by good experience of 2 Mk 7's and thought if the new one was a bit bigger, then the seats etc would be even better. 

So it looks as if the "car/driver interface" on the Mk 8 just doesn't work for me, which is a real shame as it's basically a nice car with a characterful engine and very competent handling. So with regret I am starting to have a look around at other options.

Although I am not unhappy with the seats I must agree that they could be a lot better. I too have a minor lower back issue and was looking forward to the lumbar support feature, however, for me it seems to be too low and rather than supporting my back it just seems to push my buttocks forward. I have therefore now set this to minimum effect (a waste of money).

Yes, unfortunately the lumbar support is in the wrong place for me too. To be fair, most of these are pot luck as to whether they will work for you, we all have different physiques/problems. The only ones I've found really effective are 4 way electric supports where you can move it up and down the backrest as well as in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just thought I’d post on here as I picked up my ST Line X 140 in metallic grey with black roof & mirrors on Thursday. Initial impressions were it looked awesome (think the grey is one of the few colours that do the lines and contours justice). Opted for the red pack interior too and am really liking it; breaks up the nice dark interior quite well. First drive in it was a trek down from North Wales to Surrey and can say it performed brilliantly. Plenty of poke in the 140 (took the A500 route with the soul intent of seeing what it was like accelerating from the many roundabouts) Obviously I didn’t give it hell and tried to rev it no higher than 3k until it’s bedded in, but even so, it does get a shift on. Ride was firm (ish) but plenty comfy enough and the handling is like it’s on rails!  Seen some folks saying the seats can be a bit awkward but as the chap above said, it does very much depend on your personal shape. I’m 6’2” and 89kg and did a 240 mile drive in it non-stop with no comfort issues at all, but different people, different shapes 🙂 Likewise regarding the B&O sound system. I honestly was blown away by it, although I did notice the bass was more, erm, “bassier” (?) when you have it on stereo as opposed to surround. But seriously good sound quality.  Managed an average of 43.9 mpg on the above journey and that was with a new “tight” engine and the M25 being its usual chin-crawl, stop-start, self. Overall, I’m loving it and can’t wait for the drive home on Monday! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike9846 said:

Hi, just thought I’d post on here as I picked up my ST Line X 140 in metallic grey with black roof & mirrors on Thursday. Initial impressions were it looked awesome (think the grey is one of the few colours that do the lines and contours justice). Opted for the red pack interior too and am really liking it; breaks up the nice dark interior quite well. First drive in it was a trek down from North Wales to Surrey and can say it performed brilliantly. Plenty of poke in the 140 (took the A500 route with the soul intent of seeing what it was like accelerating from the many roundabouts) Obviously I didn’t give it hell and tried to rev it no higher than 3k until it’s bedded in, but even so, it does get a shift on. Ride was firm (ish) but plenty comfy enough and the handling is like it’s on rails!  Seen some folks saying the seats can be a bit awkward but as the chap above said, it does very much depend on your personal shape. I’m 6’2” and 89kg and did a 240 mile drive in it non-stop with no comfort issues at all, but different people, different shapes 🙂 Likewise regarding the B&O sound system. I honestly was blown away by it, although I did notice the bass was more, erm, “bassier” (?) when you have it on stereo as opposed to surround. But seriously good sound quality.  Managed an average of 43.9 mpg on the above journey and that was with a new “tight” engine and the M25 being its usual chin-crawl, stop-start, self. Overall, I’m loving it and can’t wait for the drive home on Monday! 

glad you're enjoying yours. Im still so baffled as to how you ordered yours in feb, had it built mid april, and had it delivered early may, when I had mine ordered in mid november, built first week of april, and have an estimated delivery of end of may. I am so confused how this is working out lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club