Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless cleverness

gillyallan

I presume there are essentially 2 fields of sensors in the car. 1 detecting a resistance outside and 1 inside and it can measure between them.

I'm using this logic to figure out how it knows my keyfob is lying in the boot and so won't lock it and to how it knows the keyfob is outside the car so warning you the fob isn't inside.

I've only just got my focus so exploring everything at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I think there are 3 fields outside the car and probably one inside.

If your passenger tries to open the door and you're stood with the key on the driver's side, the car won't unlock. Likewise with the boot.

The car will lock with a key inside if it detects another key outside, though not with the engine running, so no good for warming the car up and locking it!

It's pretty clever. Like I say say tested the dropping key in boot scenario today and pleased it popped back open.
Tomorrow I'm trying leaving fob in car and locking by touching handles.

Of course my spare is handy in the house just in case lol

The car won't lock with a key inside by touch if it doesn't detect a key outside.

It will lock using another fob but not if the engine is running :)

Not to scare you but thieves have targeted cars with keyless entry. Usually st and rs models. They smash drivers window for access to obd port and use gizmometry to trick the car into thinking a key is present.

If this bothers you there's quite a few good solutions on eBay for example.

Yeah it is a thought and when I first got car I didn't like the passive entry. So much so I went through the menus to see if I could turn it off.
It's a titanium nav I have which from the outside doesn't look anything standout as likes of an rs or st etc so hopefully doesn't draw any attention from the car theft community.

Mine hasn't. :)

Omg first time washing car. I guess I need to leave keyfob in the house. Not sure how many times I unlocked and locked the doors.

+1 it's what I do.

Speaking of which - it's time to break out the pressure washer I think...

When I'm washing the car, I unlock it then open and close of of the doors, the car won't then auto lock itself after 20 seconds like it would if you don't open a door.

• Like 1

I think I'll just keep in the house til I'm ready to do the sills inside as I tend to wander back for more water or things and don't want the car nicked.

59 minutes ago, MarksST said:

When I'm washing the car, I unlock it then open and close of of the doors, the car won't then auto lock itself after 20 seconds like it would if you don't open a door.

It won't auto lock, but if you inadvertently hit the handle touch pad at the wrong angle with too much jet power, it will lock/unlock.

42 minutes ago, YOG said:

It won't auto lock, but if you inadvertently hit the handle touch pad at the wrong angle with too much jet power, it will lock/unlock.

I've a fiesta ST, which have different buttons on the handles to the focus, it auto locks if the doors aren't opened, so does my transit, would have thought other fords do as a security measure if the remote is pressed accidently.

It does auto lock like you say and did on my previous fiesta too. This is mainly about keyless (passive entry)

There isn't a physical button on door handles either, it just touch senses.

10 hours ago, gillyallan said:

I think I'll just keep in the house til I'm ready to do the sills inside as I tend to wander back for more water or things and don't want the car nicked.

Then the alarm will go off if you're a bit heavy handed with the cleaning... :laugh: 

Grrr lol
Ok guess it's fob in car and if I go for water etc I need to mind take fob with me.

Cars are complicated these days

11 hours ago, MarksST said:

I've a fiesta ST, which have different buttons on the handles to the focus, it auto locks if the doors aren't opened, so does my transit, would have thought other fords do as a security measure if the remote is pressed accidently.

I think you misunderstood my post. I know it auto locks if the doors are unopened after locking the car, and an outside key has the unlock button pressed, but the door is not opened. I'm describing having the car locked, with the key outside but within the location range of the car sensors. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club