Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB or 12v for charging

gillyallan

Sorry for trivial question but is it advisable to use the usb sockets in car to charge phones or to use a dedicated 12v plug in adapter?

Don't want to burn out the USB if that's a thing. Also what amps does it supply? And is this ampage shared with 2nd socket?

My daughter has a Samsung tab a and it draws a lot. Ie 2 amp charge normally.

Would make sense to get rid of clutter.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

No idea what the current rating on it will be, but I suspect it will be a standard 500mA socket, that is the norm for USB sockets unless otherwise stated.

As for a plug in 12v adaptor vs the built in socket. 

You have nothing to worry about, both use a step down transformer to turn 12v in to 5v :)

Ok ta. I'll use for phones. I think the tablet would be too much for it.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

it wont do any harm plugging it in to the phone / tablet or the car. if a socket can handle 500mA and the device is consuming 400mA to work, the device will charge at 100mA per hour.

if a device is using 400mA per hour and a charger can give it 100mA per hour, then instead of discharging at 400mA/h it discharges at 300mA/h

equally a charger that can provide 2.5A/h doesn't push that current, it just means it can provide it if the devices wants it.

This is only really true of electronic devices like phones, computers and tablets with batteries. they have special circuitry within them to determine what can and cant be done so theres no worry about it melting anything (assuming you haven't brought a cheap Chinese knock off charger!!)

If you have some dumb piece of equipment wanting 2A and a charger without current limiting circuitry that can supply 1A, then it might melt the charger, in short, don't skimp on chargers, most folk leave them plugged in and if in doors even plugged in and charging over night. you don't want to be asleep when a cheap knocked off Chinese charger catches alight! its obscene how expensive these things can be and the temptation is to buy off eBay but id strongly suggest you avoid any unknown brands

• Like 2

As above ^^ 

However a phone charger like this in the 12v socket is probably better placed than the usb socket. 

For what is it worth, my dashcam is plugged into the usb socket (I couldn't be bothered messing around with fuses) It works flawlessly and never had an issue.