Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will mk6 ST brake discs fit 16 inch ZS wheels

zain611

Hey everyone 

So question is from the title. I'm not sure whether to upgrade the front discs (258mm) to ST discs(278mm) If I'm certain they fit or just do a rear disc brake beam conversion. The beam conversion would look good but don't think they will aid that much in braking force. 

DSC_0086.JPG

You'd also need the ST calipers to go with the bigger discs.

And no, you won't get any braking benefits realistically with rear discs. Your handbrake may require pulling tighter as the brake pads will have less surface area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

You'd also need the ST calipers to go with the bigger discs.

And no, you won't get any braking benefits realistically with rear discs. Your handbrake may require pulling tighter as the brake pads will have less surface area.

Thanks Luke 👍. My dad changed his front discs to 288mm over his 16s and there is some space between the calipers and wheels so hopefully there will be plenty of space if I put 278mm on the 16s on my car. I've seen a set of ST calipers and carriers for £70 including delivery. 

One thing I just need to be sure about is an ST150 a mk6 fiesta and ST180 a mk7 fiesta? The ads I've seen for pairs of calipers and carriers just say off an ST150

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

One thing I just need to be sure about is an ST150 a mk6 fiesta and ST180 a mk7 fiesta? The ads I've seen for pairs of calipers and carriers just say off an ST150

That sounds right yes.

If you get bigger discs but not calipers, you will get an area that won't be used. For example, if the width of the pads are 40mm, and you fit discs that are designed for 50mm wide area, you're going to get a big ridge on it.

When I said you'd need bigger calipers, I meant for the fact you'd need the longer brackets to clear the bigger discs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

That sounds right yes.

If you get bigger discs but not calipers, you will get an area that won't be used. For example, if the width of the pads are 40mm, and you fit discs that are designed for 50mm wide area, you're going to get a big ridge on it.

When I said you'd need bigger calipers, I meant for the fact you'd need the longer brackets to clear the bigger discs.

So sent a message to one of the sellers selling a pair of ST calipers and carriers just to confirm what mk fiesta it's off and one of the sellers said its from a 2006 mk6 fiesta ST which he'd had for a few weeks and sadly crashed it :'(. Was selling the pair for £55 (excluding delivery) but gave an offer of £45 which he accepted. Hopefully will post pics for when I instal the discs and hopefully they'll fit. 

So calipers and carriers arrived today and got pagid 278mm discs and pads. Hopefully tomorrow might check the calipers and that the carriers fit. 

DSC_0214.JPG

_20180309_214356.JPG

_20180309_214416.JPG

The Focus fronts are 278mm on small engine models, plenty of space behind 16s. :smile:  

While the calipers are off the car it's an ideal chance to clean them up and paint them.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The Focus fronts are 278mm on small engine models, plenty of space behind 16s. :smile:  

While the calipers are off the car it's an ideal chance to clean them up and paint them.

Thanks Tom 👍 yeah I don't feel worried about space now. Hopefully today my swap the carriers over and discs to see if they are good. May use a dremal with a wire attachment to clean them up. I'm not sure whether to paint them red or silver (new look). I was also thinking gloss black but may not grab your attention. Red or silver are a subtle colour and I don't want to compromise the originality of the exterior of the car. 

27 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Red or silver are a subtle colour and I don't want to compromise the originality of the exterior of the car. 

Red is definitely not a subtle colour lol. Silver looks good, but won't be seen behind those alloy wheels.

I'd go for red if you're doing rear disc conversion. It looks daft if you paint your drums anything other than black.

• Like 1

Black is basically invisible tbh, used it on the Focus.  Silver is quite boring.  Red will stand out and pick out the red of the tail lights so that's a good option.  I like blue calipers personally though lol... :biggrin:  Also had gold before, that's fairly subtle but without being hidden/boring imo...

IMAG4807.thumb.jpg.219c20f70fde4b51f79bebcea96ed898.jpg

IMAG4817.thumb.jpg.70aa4cdf129e6fe9a881223e7518cfaf.jpg

IMG_20160610_124546955.thumb.jpg.13759ccb917a057ab897492ebe772c46.jpg

IMG_20160705_163435993.thumb.jpg.b376d34e508a0139a2afb2d21ac7d2fa.jpg

IMAG4570.thumb.jpg.e1bceea34fc2ae27992d73990bf44b49.jpg

IMAG3434.thumb.jpg.913780eeb2cf42e794b0028d6a90617c.jpg

• Like 1

It's hard for me to pick :laugh:. I was thinking red for that sporty look and it could compliment the tail lights like you said Tom and also the red dashboard. Silver gives it that 'new' look. My dad is thinking of upgrading his brakes and got a set of bigger carriers which he painted gloss black. He had a set of new calipers for the rear and that was in silver. Do like those ST wheels but don't think I'll spend around £200 for a set of wheels even though I be careful. 

Took a picture of my wheels with the standard brakes. The car hasn't been cleaned since December so is filthy but hopefully will get time as I'm off in easter. I also don't think I'll have time today to check the carriers as mum has arranged a day out today to grans 

DSC_0215.JPG

• Like 1

Did get some time to remove the calipers and disc on one side. Luckily it fits in and it looks like you need BOTH ST calipers and carriers. My dad thought that the carriers would fit on the calipers already on the car but it appears that the ST calipers are bigger. Cleaned bits of the hub including the calipers and carriers bought. Stopped at putting in the pads. The pads are noticeably bigger. Also took a picture of the smaller disc over the larger one. 

DSC_0216.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

• Like 1

At the moment tightened the calipers and carriers to 70nm and have the upgraded discs and pad on. Can see the difference in the pads for both size discs. Might not have time today to continue but hopefully tomorrow will install the calipers and bleed the brakes for both sides

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

One side fitted. My dad was messing about whilst I was sitting in the car depressing the brake pedal. He put the wheel on and was making a tapping sound whilst he was spinning it saying its touching the wheel weight. When I got out he was joking saying he was hitting the spanner on the jack:smile:

Cleaned the wheel also. Does look bigger and there is just space between the caliper and spoke. 

DSC_0224.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

Right side done now. Just have to drive a bit till the brakes are bedded in. So to conclude you can fit ST calipers, carriers and size discs (278mm) on 16 inch ZS alloys:smile:

DSC_0215.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi, Looking at this myself. One question do they use the same brake hose?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 6:46 PM, Cragrat said:

Hi, Looking at this myself. One question do they use the same brake hose?

Hey @Cragrat sorry for the late reply I just was looking back at old Posts and found you. For your question yes they use the same brake hoses. It's a straight swap 👍

Yes Thanks for this. I now have all the parts required. I will be carrying this out in the next week. I thought the new crush washers for the hose very expensive. £2.50 each?

15 hours ago, Cragrat said:

Yes Thanks for this. I now have all the parts required. I will be carrying this out in the next week. I thought the new crush washers for the hose very expensive. £2.50 each?

I haven't bought anything else when I got the ST calipers and carriers. I might later change the spring / bracket which you see in front of the caliper. You also need both ST calipers and carriers for this conversion as the old ones don't fit. At the moment I'm preparing to do the rear drums to ST discs conversion. Just sprayed the calipers and carriers and splash shields gloss black and hopefully on Thursday might do it

DSC_0295.JPG

DSC_0338.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

Hi All done and dusted. New 278mm discs fitted to front along with ST180 calipers and Ferodo Pads. Straight swap no problems at all. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club