Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 ST and View of the 3 pot 1.5 at Geneva 2018

alexp999

Ford have a real (not dressed up 1.0) ST with LED headlights and the new 1.5 3 cylinder ecoboost at Geneva 2018. I'll post more vids pics and info as I come across it.

Interesting things going on under the engine bay. I think the cylinder in front of the engine is the intake? @iantt any thoughts, have you seen any technical stuff on this engine yet?

I'll be very interested to know more about this engine, whether it has any relationship to the 1.0 (other than sharing the 3cyl format) or is a completely separate development. Love the seats in there too!

In view of the 6 months it took to get an ST-Line (and I seem to have been lucky compared to some folks on here!), wondering about putting an order in for one of these when books open, may get it by the time the ST-Line is 3 years old!😀

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'll be very interested to know more about this engine, whether it has any relationship to the 1.0 (other than sharing the 3cyl format) or is a completely separate development. Love the seats in there too!

In view of the 6 months it took to get an ST-Line (and I seem to have been lucky compared to some folks on here!), wondering about putting an order in for one of these when books open, may get it by the time the ST-Line is 3 years old!😀

I think they've taken a lot of design principles, but it's an all-new engine.

Timing chain instead of belt, rear turbo instead of front, dual fuel injectors (port and direct), etc.

• Like 1

Blue looks amazing in this photo

DXmml6BV4AApoyi.jpg large.jpg

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I think they've taken a lot of design principles, but it's an all-new engine.

Timing chain instead of belt, rear turbo instead of front, dual fuel injectors (port and direct), etc.

Thanks - like the sound of that so far!

I saw a mk8 fiesta and am wondering if it was an ST. Just a glimpse of seeing it made me wonder. Just shows how technology has improved other the years. That 1.5 3 pot is quite fast for what it's claimed. That can beat engines double or even triple the size and you get good economy out of it. Win win there for normal people who just wants a cheap to run fast car. 

7 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Ford have a real (not dressed up 1.0) ST with LED headlights and the new 1.5 3 cylinder ecoboost at Geneva 2018. I'll post more vids pics and info as I come across it.

Interesting things going on under the engine bay. I think the cylinder in front of the engine is the intake? @iantt any thoughts, have you seen any technical stuff on this engine yet?

nope, not seen any tech specs yet or training literature 

did anyone spot the subtitles mistake?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

did anyone spot the subtitles mistake?

Ginerva? Focus? Lol. I think they're auto generated by Google's "AI".

That's definitely an intake cylinder, I just looked at the manifold of the 1.0. I didn't realise it came from one end and across. Normally it's from the bottom and splits. You'd think the cylinder furthest from where the intake comes in wouldn't get so much air. I guess the turbo keeps it pressurised though 

Turbo manifolds never are long and smooth like NA manifolds, as you say the turbo is forcing the air in so it doesn't matter. :smile:

I'm interested to know the purpose of the extra injectors though?  

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Turbo manifolds never are long and smooth like NA manifolds, as you say the turbo is forcing the air in so it doesn't matter. :smile:

It's tech from the Ford GT and new F150 engines. Combined port and direct injection. Ford call it dual fuel injection.

They can use port injectors to aid warm up time/emissions and on idle or low load quite engine operation as the clicky high pressure direct injectors don't need to run. The direct injectors are best for high rpm scenarios. The port injectors also help to keep the valves clean.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Here is a good article that explains the two injectors per cylinder.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's tech from the Ford GT and new F150 engines. Combined port and direct injection. Ford call it dual fuel injection.

They can use port injectors to aid warm up time/emissions and on idle or low load quite engine operation as the clicky high pressure direct injectors don't need to run. The direct injectors are best for high rpm scenarios. The port injectors also help to keep the valves clean.

That definitely would be good for diesel engines but might be costly if more than one injector went faulty. 

7 minutes ago, zain611 said:

That definitely would be good for diesel engines but might be costly if more than one injector went faulty. 

Port injection won't work on a diesel afaik. It should stop the ecoboosts sounding like one at idle though.

Don't forget by dropping a cylinder it means Ford have gone from 4 injectors on the 1.6 to 6 on the 1.5 so not as big a jump if they'd kept 4 cylinders.

• Like 1

Was planning on keeping my st-line for a few years but this ST is making me change my mind, hurry up end of finance

13 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Here is a good article that explains the two injectors per cylinder.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

Very interesting, thanks Alex. :smile:  I usually keep up with modern tech but had completely missed that! 

Another (italian) video:

So sexy, might be something to consider after sitting in one perhaps since I struggled a bit in the new Fiesta at Ford Fair last year, with the seat all the way back, 6ft 5" -.<

I wonder if they’ll have illuminated scuff plates as an option again. They didn’t seem to be lit in that video although that could be down to just the general lighting of the room. 

6 minutes ago, Zico said:

No English reviews yet then?

Not that I've found. 

Is the ST on sale? I'm just wondering if I've been seeing them on the road. Have to say it is quick. The mk6 ST is claimed 7.9 seconds to 60 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club