Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dirty Rear End

SuttonRider

This time of year, wet mucky roads, I find most of the crud ends up all over the back of the car, even after a short drive. Has anyone fitted these 'mud flaps' as found on eBay for around £12? Do they work? Have you found anything that works better?

Mud flaps do help keep the muck down also the protect the paint work especially at the front, I've got genuine Ford ones fitted as part of my deal. They are not considered trendy and many think the spoil the look of the car but I like them

I've got genuine mudflaps on mine...the sides and rear end is still filthy!  They also keep coming loose as well, plastic clips aren't strong enough to hold them tight it seems.  I'll probably take them off when we get into spring.

• Thanks 1

Haven't got mud flaps on mine either, what annoys me is when I reverse park outside my home at 4am after my night shift, the rear parking sensors are so dirty all I get is a constant high pitched beep as if I'm going to hit the car behind, really grips my s***

Mud flaps are only really good for the heavy stuff that usually leaves skats.

The dirty rear end which extends all the way to the spoiler is as a result of the turbulent design of a hatchback. The spray from the salted roads gets caught in the draughts around the car and tumble around at the back due to the lack of an aerodynamic profile, like you'd get on a coupe or saloon.

This is the number 1 thing I don´t like with this car. On a wet road the rear is clogged after 2-300 meters. Imagine how it looks after driving on a wet dirt road....
I have mudflaps all around.  Always have mudflaps on my cars, at front it is a must because of the winter climate and to protect the sills from stone chip

My former Fiesta was clean in comparison. 

Yes I see now, So mud flaps are about as much use on a Focus as they would be fitting them on a tortoise. -  Except most tortoises don't suffer from wake turbulence. - Thanks Guys.

• Haha 1

Mudflaps do little to keep the car clean from dirt and grime, but do a great job preventing stone chips hitting the side of the car and also cars driving behind you. Had them on my last two Focus's. 

• Like 1

Defo all the salt lately as more noticably dirty on mines too not long after a wash and mines is moondust silver :(

One thing I have found about the ST spoiler is that it happily directs all crud and rain right down the back of the car.
The rear end never looks clean.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 3:27 PM, pragmatix said:

Mud flaps do help keep the muck down also the protect the paint work especially at the front, I've got genuine Ford ones fitted as part of my deal. They are not considered trendy and many think the spoil the look of the car but I like them

They serve a practical purpose and therefore I don't give a toss if they're trendy or not :P

I'm also the kind of person that likes the look of a 4x4 with proper skid plates and underbody protection sitting higher off the ground vs a sporty low looking car :biggrin:

6 hours ago, Micro said:

I'm also the kind of person that likes the look of a 4x4 with proper skid plates and underbody protection sitting higher off the ground vs a sporty low looking car :biggrin:

I'm the sort of person who will happily force an overfinch range rover onto the verge on a single track road and watch the driver steam up his windows as his 275/40/22's get a teeny bit of mud on them :)

• Haha 2

On 06/03/2018 at 4:48 PM, alexp999 said:

So are there any ways to reduce this “wake”?  A spoiler attachment or something? Would a under body spoiler work?

I always use Pampers for a dirty rear end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Devonboy said:

I always use Pampers for a dirty rear end.

That was my initial thoughts when this thread appeared lmao

• Like 2